It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Magnesium and CCB, please read this.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Magnesium and CCB, please read this.

Hi,

I was doing some research to find out if the new Magnesium dosage that is making me lightheaded or it's the new Diltiazem SR dosage.
    I found this online:

Blood Pressure Medications, Calcium Channel Blockers
    Magnesium may increase the likelihood of negative side effects (such as dizziness, nausea, and fluid retention) from calcium channel blockers (particularly nifedipine) in pregnant women. Other calcium channel blockers include amlodipine, diltiazem, felodipine, and verapamil.

The article said "in pregnant women" but maybe it can happen to anyone. Anyway, in the next few days I will go back to my old dosage of both Magnesium and Diltiazem and see what I feel.

Thanks,
    Michael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User
    Re: Magnesium and CCB, please read this.

Michael, thanx for the post. My mom had read on this board that magnesium was good for bp and had planned to try it after the holidays. I'm glad I read your post. My mom takes verapamil and is now having minor problems with it after seven yrs.

Her doc refuse to change the med so we are looking for a new doctor.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
    Barbara_Ann
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Thanks for this post on magnesium w/channel blockers.

I am on felodipine and starting taking magnesium about two weeks ago. I've been slightly light headed on an off for about a week and a half, gained 5 pounds (probably the water retention you mentioned) because I've not been eating differently, and for the last 3 or 4 days I've been going through extreme bouts of drowsiness and lethargia. I bet it's the magnesium.

I'm going to stop taking it now and see if I notice improvement in these symptoms, then I'll know for sure.

Very interesting post, thanks!

Old 12-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #4
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi,

Merry Christmas all and happy new healthy year for all of you.

I used to take Magnesium with my med when first I wake up, now I take it after 6 hours of my med. I'm not sure that Magnesium is doing any side effects, I tried to stop it for a couple of days and I got very tired. I will not stop Magnesium, at least for the time being.
    Good Luck,
    Michael

Closed Thread