It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Wierd dreams every night?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
    SoccerDad
    (male)

SoccerDad HB User
    Wierd dreams every night?

I have High Blood Pressure, and I'm currently taking 50 mg Metoprolol twice a day and a 5/20 mg Lotrel once a day. I get pretty tired in the evening, and so I generally go to bed early and fall asleep easily, but I have all kinds of wierd, wild, vivid dreams every night (some nights worse than others). My blood pressure has been averaging around 120-130 over 80-85, but sometimes I don't really feel all that well-rested. Anyone else have this with these or any other medications?

Also, can anyone tell me if these are relatively low dosages of these medications?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
    tfkeel
    Veteran
    (male)

tfkeel HB User
    Re: Wierd dreams every night?

I currently take the same dose of Metoprolol as you. This is a usual "initial" dose of this drug, and can probably be increased to 400 mg/daily should need arise.

I have taken Amlodipine (Norvasc) in the past. 5 mg is a medium dose, it can be increased to 10 - it is also the usual "initial" dosage.

I have never taken Benazepril, however, I have at one time or another been on 3 other ACE inhibitors. The 20 mg dosage is a "medium" dose of this drug as well.

I was taken off ACE inhibitors some years ago when I encountered an episode of my throat closing off. Other than that, I have experienced no side effects of any of these drugs.

Lotrel is a trade name for Amlodipine and Benazepril - you can save yourself a few bucks by getting your doc to write for the two generics - I don't believe there is any medical benefit from having a combined tablet..... it is only a way for the drug company to effectively extend the patent on two drugs which have gone into the generic category.

Last edited by tfkeel; 12-18-2006 at 04:12 PM.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Socccer Dad,

It's the metoprolol that's ruining your sleep.

You can TRY skipping the evening dose. I know that means not full coverage for the whole day, but no good sleep day after day is bad for the soul.
    I get the same thing with beta blockers...3 hours of sleep during which my dreams are pure Fellini, EXHAUSTING!
    If you dose only in the morning, you should have most of it out of your system by bedtime.

Last edited by Lenin; 12-20-2006 at 04:18 AM.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
    flowersx2
    (female)

flowersx2 HB User

I haven't taken metoprolol but some of the other bp med's have given me the same things. Very odd, active, vivid dreams. Some are so intense, I actually feel "worn out" when I wake up.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
    lane413
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lane413 HB User

Verapamil (ccb) and toprol (bb_ can cause bad dreams and nightmares. That's what is on the label of my mom's meds.

Closed Thread