It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• controlling my blood pressure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
    tabman
    (female)

tabman HB User
    Question controlling my blood pressure

I am having trouble finding the correct medication for High Blood pressure for over a year. I have been on Cozaar since Mid December and two weeks ago I increased the medication to 50mg a day. Two days ago I went into ER with my blood pressure over 200/93/103. They kept me overnight and said I may have vertigo and gave me Meclizine. I have always had problems taking medication and I feel if I can not get my blood pressure under control I will have a stroke. I also take Hctz 25 mg 1x day for over 3 yrs and potassium 20 mg 2x a day.

Has anyone had better results with this medication or similar experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
    TVGI
    (male)

TVGI HB User
    Re: controlling my blood pressure

It appears that Cozzar + HCTZ combination is not controlling your BP, especially the systolic (the high #). There are so many drugs available at the pharmacy and your doctor should find a med or meds to bring down your BP. Do monitor your BP at home and take your log to your MD. Do not hesitate to approach your doc.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Tabman,
    Cozaar is not the storngest drug around and 50 mg. is not a large dose.

Why not try taking 50 mg. morning and night instead.

Is that potassium 20 mg. or 20 Meq???? There is a HUGE difference.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
    tabman
    (female)

tabman HB User

I take 20 mg. of potassium. The other is just for the vertigo that they said I had when in ER. I never had vertigo that is why I think it is the medication Cozaar. thanks you for replying!

Old 01-22-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

tabman,

Double check that potassium becasue 20 mg. is indeed an insignificant amount...a banana has 451 mg. and a glass of milk has 426 mg.
    I doubt that a 20 mg. supplement actually EXISTS.

Describe the pill...if it is what most people would call a HORSE pill (almost an inch long inch long ellipse) it's 20 millequivalents (Meq) and thus over 800 mg. potassium. If you are taking 2 of these you could be taking too much postassium.

When you have your blood tested, what kind of sodium and potassium values do you get?

Last edited by Lenin; 01-22-2007 at 05:23 AM.

Closed Thread