It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• 20y old bodybuilder B/P and H/R problems Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User
    Thumbs up 20y old bodybuilder B/P and H/R problems Help!

THIS IS LONG BUT PLEASE READ! Alright just to give you a backround on me, ive been bodybuilding for 2 years steadily, in the gym 6-7 days a week for close to 2 hours a day. I never really worked on cardio, just worked on bulking up. Ive been blessed with a decently low bodyfat% thankfully. Ive taken just about every supplement in the book, arginine, creatine, protein shakes bars, pre workout drinks, high cafeine stuff, and im sure ephedra at one time or another. I was stuck on these pre workout drinks for a while.(adrenaline stack)Oh and before I forget, I have a heart murmur. onday a few hours after my workout i was driving, talking to my g/f my legs went numb, I couldnt focus on anything stopped talkin to my g/f suddenly, I became cold, shakey, and my left arm went numb. I ate and in about 10 mins it was gone. Doc told me to stop takin the drinks and stick to arginine. I didnt take anything for a while and was fine. Got back on some diff stuff around mid 2006, and started havin problems again.This time I was sitting down eating at Japanese steak house talkin to my g/fs dad and all of a sudden I felt my heart flutter and stop. It actually stopped beating i didnt have a pulse for about 4-5 seconds.Talk about SCARY! Luckily it came back and my heart immidiantly started racing, very high pulse rate of about 140 maybe higher. Considering my resting is around 60 or lower. I went to the cardiologist Had an echo, stress test, 24 hour holter monitor. Everything was fine. Towards the end of 2006, my friends and I took Horny Goat weed as a joke for a few days. The stuff gave me pretty good energy, (NO boost in sex drive tho lol) anyway i was on it for bout 5 days and my blood pressure went wacky! 145/40 with heart palpitations. I went to the hospital they said it was the pills and they would take a while to wear off. I Have continually had problems ever since, with heart palpitations/racing and blood pressure and have not hit the weights since mid November. Doc put me on Hydrochlorothiazide for a while and it brought my b.p. down to 120/70, It was stayin at a constant 150/70-80 for a while. HCTZ made me lethargic, and depressed. As well as anxious, and really skiddish/nervous. Really weird side effects the cardiologist said. So I decided to stick with my MD, since the cardiologist just wanted to stick me on different meds, not caring that I wanted to be active. I think it ****** him off that I told him i wanted to do it naturally. SO with help from my MD, he told me to eat right and get back to exercising, but just in case gave me altace to take if i cant get it down naturally. Ive recently started the Dash diet and ive been doin pretty good! I have been off HCTZ for 2 weeks and my Blood pressure is down with only a few occurances a week of over 130 systolic. The only problem would be my heart unexpectedly speeding up! This comes after me suddenly becoming aware of my pulse slowing down and feeling weak. It happens out of no where. I get a fluttery, gassy feeling in my chest, my attitude gets really bad and everything pisses me off, and I cant seem to get comfortable. I try to calm myself down but eventually it leads to shaking, I get really cold, dizziness, confusion. This comes and goes, sometimes once and its over, sometimes it goes through the racing a few times before I calm back down. Usually lasting anywhere from 3-10 mins. A few times ive been able to check my B>P when its happening and its spiked usually being around 150/90 give or take a few systolic points. Ive gone to the hospital a few times and its always around 150+/ 40 when I arrive . Recently this last weekend it was the highest its ever been, after a night of partying, (drinking) I started feeling weak, confused, dizzy, unresponsive. Almost like I was on drugs, so I checked my B/P 144/122!!!! I walked upstairs and told my parents, took my altace and headed to the ER. Now its wednesday and b/p has been fine since. Considering I took it at that time, once again the next day, and none mon,tues, or today. NOW ive been battling with my heart speeding up again. Again today i rush to class and sit down, my heart rate tries to slow down but its almost like it does it too quick! I feel it slow to about a rate <50 then it speeds back up. Today I was aware of it for about 10 mins. Speeding up, slowing down, UP and down. It was really annoying. Last night out of no where it sped up as well. I was doing great for about a week and a half now its back to the races so to say. What the heck could be causing this? Could it be anxiety? Am I ever going to be able to get back into bodybuilding like I was just a few months ago? I want to do this naturally, so Im not going to take the ALTACE again unless I have another episode. Then ill talk to my MD to see what steps to take next. I know this is alot of information about me but I really need help, the cardiologist is stumped, my MD doesnt really know whats causing it either. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User
    Re: 20y old bodybuilder B/P and H/R problems Help!

Some things to check:

do you snore? You might have apnea that may produce these kinds of symptoms.
    have you had glucose test recently? Your insulin control maybe poor leading to dizziness and erratic pulse.

Anxiety and over-training can also produce some of the symptoms you described. Learn to relax with breathing excecises or yoga and alternate your training schedule and see if it helps.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

rcmcfann,

Quote:
    It happens out of no where. I get a fluttery, gassy feeling in my chest, my attitude gets really bad and everything pisses me off, and I cant seem to get comfortable. I try to calm myself down but eventually it leads to shaking, I get really cold, dizziness, confusion.
    Your symptoms sound like they are largely do to an occasional flood of catecholamines (adrenaline and nor-adrenaline)

A couple points: ALTACE is not made for occasional use; either take it or don't but don't use it sporadically.
    A drug classs that would make you FEEL better but make high-level bodybuilding almost impossible is the beta-blocker class. THey target catecholamines precisely.
    Stop taking all the supplements because, if they are effective, they usually mess with heart rhythm. <I noticed the same thiing with Horny GOat Weed...no use for libido...but I couldn't resist something with a name that good.>
    Add some aerobic/cardio work to your schedule...it is better for your heart than anaerobic work.

Last, but not least, try supplementing daily with a magnesium source...something to give at least 250 mg. elemental magnesium. It often works WONDERS with rhythm difficulties.

And LAST LASTLY, the DASH Diet is a superb wasy to deal with hypertension...it's tough though avoiding salt in this world of ours.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-08-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User

Yea tell me about it salt is hard to avoid, ive cut WAY down tho and it is helping. Im off of meds for good, and supplements. And to you Mmvic, My mother has apnea, and i snore and have for years! I have a slight deviated septum on the left side tho so i just atributed it to that. But honestly i hadnt heard of it until recently, and ive always told me g/f to check my breathing at night because sometimes Ill wake up to me bein out of breath, and ill wake up to that feeling that i was just holding my breath. then all of a sudden its like my nervous system kicks in and tells me to breath and it actually wakes me up in the process. This has only happened a few times tho, no more than a few times a month. Ill have to try the magnesium. I want to attribute most of this to anxiety honestly i think i amplify it when it happens. But theres no doubt in my mind that my heart slows way down, then all of a sudden races and boosts my b/p.Sometimes I can calm myself down and just get over it, but every once in a while its just so intense, I cant help it. Im lost to tell you the truth.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

I would still discuss the apnea with a Doc and maybe get a sleep test. You may think you don't have a severe case but your blood O2 may really fall off. This can wreak havoc with blood pressure, respiration rate, heart rate, personality, energy levels, etc. This is often an unrecognized cause of high blood pressure and cardiac arrythmias and a leading cause of strokes.

You can't lose following the DASH diet regardless.

Last edited by mmvic; 02-08-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #6
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmvic View Post
    I would still discuss the apnea with a Doc and maybe get a sleep test. You may think you don't have a severe case but your blood O2 may really fall off. This can wreak havoc with blood pressure, respiration rate, heart rate, personality, energy levels, etc. This is often an unrecognized cause of high blood pressure and cardiac arrythmias and a leading cause of strokes.

You can't lose following the DASH diet regardless.
    How does sleep apnea cause my blood O2 to crash? I can understand at night but, when im awake? I breathe fine when im awake because im conscience of it now, it happens out of no where honestly. These last few days have been good tho. How do I go about arranging a sleep test? What do I tell my Dr?

Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

The problems with apnea at night carry over into the day because the stress on your vascular system is very high. Additionally they build up over the years. Just imagine someone continually choking you to near unconciousness every night!

Discuss your night time experiences with your doctor as well as your current problems. Then ask for a sleep test. This is very easy, you just to to a sleep clinic and sleep while being monitored.

Do a web search on apnea and I think you'll get a better feel for symptoms and effects such as high blood pressure, erratic heart beat, irritability, depression. This may or may not be your problem but it's worth pursuing. Many, many docs over look it.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User

AHH I had another episode! It just happened actually, its 1240 and i just left work because of it. I gotta go to school but i think im just gonna chill out for a few. Ive felt great the last few days! ive even began working out again. I had a rough last few nights tho! last night i was so restless i couldnt sleep, and with the heart problems in the back of my head now, I rarely worry anymore. However, I kept waking myself up because i wasnt breathing! No B.S. I finally got up and just watched tv til 2 am and finally past out. When I wake up i feel out of breath and ******. Then today at work, eveyrthing was fine, and I was running around doin some things and I started to get this weird pain in my wrist/forearm, like carpol tunnel or somethin it was goin numb, then all of a sudden my heart started actin up again. And honestly I havent worried about it since mid last week its been kinda nice! BUT that pain in my wrist/forearm was the begining to another episode of lightheadedness, heart racing and heavy breathing. Which lasted only about 5mins, i sat down and it went away. Now it feels like thers not enough oxygen getting to my brain, i get lightheaded and my heart speeds way up. WHAT IS GOING ON?????~~~~

Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

Uh, somewhat less subtle, you have a very high likelihood of apnea if you read the earlier descriptions. I'd still suggest the sleep study or you maybe going on like this for years to come. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User

Im Going to get a sleep study this week sometime! My doc thinks i have apnea as well. I found out wats goin on tho, I started feelin goofy tonight and i tested my b/p. It was 118/50. Its getting lower and lower! Low salt diet and exercise is helping, But my diastolic b/p is dropping too low, thats when i feel all lightheaded and confused, then my heart speeds up and tries to make up for the lack of blood for a few minutes. What could this mean? Could there be some underlying factor causing my diastolic b/p to crash? I have a murmur, and slight LVH from exercising but feel great when I exercise. Im getting back into the swing of things now. The only thing now is the b/p drops. HELP!!!!

Old 03-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User

OK!!!! I had the sleep test and it came back normal! I have lowered my blood pressure considerably with a better diet. I really took the time to examine wat i was eating and was sickened! I cant believe the amount of sodium i was ingesting during the past few weeks. Everything has been much better tho! I dont get the anxiety I used to, the palps are hardly even noticable anymore and when they happen i just go on doing what i was doing! I did notice that an-aerobic exercise cause palps/lightheaded ness. I can do aerobic all day long but i havent been able to hit the weights really hard quite yet. I also get fluttery when I bend over sometimes, and some other times when im holding my breath. What causes this? ?????

Old 03-19-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

What kind of sleep test did you have exacty? Was it overnight? Were you attached to approximately 25 electrodes?

Bethsheba

Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
    rcmcfann
    (male)

rcmcfann HB User

yep thats the one, it came back normal. Even tho i only got like 3 hours of sleep, i couldnt get comfortable.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #14
    rigel434
    (male)

rigel434 HB User

My best advice would be to take magnesium supplements- no supplement is better for irregular heartbeat issues.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

If you slept only 2-3 hours for the sleep test, they didn't get much info from you. Many people do not get an "accurate" study on the first try and need to go back for a second study. Also, it may be something in your home environment (allergens) that is causing the problem.

I'm not recommending a second study, but given your mother's diagnosis (heredity), your deviated septum, and your snoring you may still have undiagnosed apnea...you might want to keep it in mind if your condition gets worse.

Bethsheba

Closed Thread