It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Can anyone answer this one

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
    dmc414
    (female)

dmc414 HB User
    Unhappy Can anyone answer this one

I was having problems with my bp. It was averaging 150/95 or slightly higher. I was on 20mg lisinopil and 0.1mg clonodine bid. When the bp wouldn't come down the doc added 5 mg of felodopine. Still stayed the same so he added 20 mg of benicar bid and increased the felodopine to 10mg. This also did not help. I went to a different doctor and he said to add 25 mg of hctz. When I did this my blood pressure dropped dramatically. Now my readings are quite low. New doc said to stop the felodopine, and benicar and decrease the lisinopril to once a day and continue with the hctz. My bp is still quite low. I get readings like 98/79 , 101/81, 102/77. I feel better than when is was high, but still not great. Any ideas why the hctz would lower it so dramatically? Any suggestions? Lenin are you there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Can anyone answer this one

dmc,

You are a salt-sensitive hypertensive to the enth degree...even more than I.
    We get a dramatic BP lowering from either strict salt control (tough to do) or diuretics (easy as pie!)

You have found your answer...HCTZ + ACE inhibitor.
    That's what I'd do but I'm a cougher so for me it's diuretic (Lasix) + ARB (Cozaar.) It is possible that even the lisinopril is useless for you...it is for RENIN type hypertensives. I toook enalapril for 6 months with no effect at all. I'd stop my Cozaar but it is useful for preventing potassium excretion and INCREASING uric acid excretion and I have gout. Gout people have to be careful with diuretics.

If you want to raise your BP a bit why not try the HCTZ alone and see what numbers you get. Follow the old dictum of trying to increase the potassium in your diet. Every doctor's visit have your sodium and potassium tested. HCTZ has a way of overlowering sodium in some people. That's why I switched to Lasix.

<ps. See what problems these doctors can create when they fail to follow the simplest guidline like: DIURETIC FIRST! Chlonidine, felodipine and Benicar, indeed!>

Last edited by Lenin; 02-15-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:06 AM   #3
    dmc414
    (female)

dmc414 HB User
    Re: Can anyone answer this one

Thanks Lennin! I knew I would get a sensible answer from you. Needless to say, I will stick to the new doctor and the diuretic! Thanks again for your help.

Closed Thread