It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Hydrochlorothiazide and a Rash

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
    strong_one
    (female)

strong_one HB User
    Hydrochlorothiazide and a Rash

Hi all,

My BP was finally coming down when I was given HCTZ. But the two weeks I took it I began getting little red blotches of a rash. I stopped taking it for about 2 weeks but today, I took it again because I felt my BP was going up again and I get this little like bloated feeling under my left rib. After taking the HCTZ the pain under my rib went away but the rash came back with a vengence. It only affects my arms...no where else. Can it definately be the HCTZ and is there another water pill I can take that won't cause a rash?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Hydrochlorothiazide and a Rash

The rash can definitely be the hct--and yes, there are other diurectics out there.

Have you tried working with your doctor to change your diet and eliminate the diuretic? If not, I'd recommend it...although diuretics are often the first drug of choice for high blood pressure, they can have some nasty side effects. I was on a minimum dose of hct and was sleeping 12-20 hours per day--and then I developed back and shoulder pain.

I suspect there are many other people with similar stories---I also suspect their side effects don't get reported because they don't make the drug/side effect connection.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-19-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
    madfit
    (female)

madfit HB User

Hi,
    I've been taking HCTZ for about 3 years. I believe a rash is not one of the side effects listed. I suggest you talk to your doctor, maybe something else you are taking or eating is causing the rash.

madfit

Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I referred to the sheet my pharmacist gave me on hct...rash is listed as a side effect.

Bethsheba

Old 03-20-2007, 05:46 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

GirlOfSteel,

I've taken HCTZ for decades with no rash or any side affect except continuously very low serum sodium.
    Yes there is a very real alternative...Lasix (furosemide.) I really like it and it doesn't affect my sodium level. It also is kinder to my "loins"...old biblical useage .

Ask your doctor for a trial with it. Only downside is that you need to keep a toilet within range for about 2 hours after your morning doseage. You can take it once or twice a day. Once a day, 40 mg., does a nice job on my water retention and BP.

I think it is a VERY nice drug...and CHEAP too.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-20-2007 at 05:49 AM.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
    strong_one
    (female)

strong_one HB User

Thank you all so much! I stopped taking it for 2 weeks, sure enough the rash started to go down....BP went back up...so I took one pill and the rash came right back. I'll talk to my doc again in a couple of weeks!!!

I Love You all on this board! You make my BP go down just talking to all you GREAT folks!!

Closed Thread