It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Metoprolol, is this possible?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
    Metoprolol, is this possible?

Greetings,

After taking Cozaar with only modest success, my Doc finally convinced me to try a beta blocker. So, since I didn't really want to take it, he prescribed the lowest dose, 25 mg. He told me I could start by cutting it in half. Well, after the first day, my pressure dropped to 135/85 and by the second day 130/80. Is it possible to be this sensitive to it? The typical dose is 50 mg. a day.

I was also wondering about the indications. I know Lenin had mentioned good results with diuretics indicating salt sensitive hypertension, and good readings with ACEs indicating renal hypertension (am I remembering correctly?). Any ideas what being this sensitive to a beta blocker might indicate.

Incidently, I forgot to take it this AM. and found a 157/100 reading at 1:30 PM. I took it, and at 5:00 got a 142/92 reading, right after sitting down after being quite active.

Regards, Brenden.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Metoprolol, is this possible?

Brenden,

Everyone metabolizes (processes) drugs differently because of their sex,
    weight, fat composition, water composition, muscle tone, age, chemical make up and other factors.

In the last decade they tested drugs on healthy (white?) men in their early 20's. They found this was not an effective way to test drugs because this population metabolized drugs differently than the people who used the drugs. Healthy young men have different percentages of muscle tone, water composition, and liver function than older people--what they learned from this is that older people often are "more sensitive" to drugs and require reduced dosages and longer response times (to experience the effects or to get the drugs out of the body). Unfortunately, many of our drs are not aware of this and prescribe stronger doses than necessary. Stronger doses result in more side effects and more side effects result in more medications. Geriatricians know this and often take their patients off of all drugs before reintroducing one drug at a time at a reduced dose.

Bethsheba

Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Bethsheba,

Well, if I really were "geriatric"....even though my daughter thinks I am....LOL...I am 41. But seriously, I was just surprised at the quick result on such a low dose. I had a theory...and it is only that....that since beta blockers supposedly act to reduce adrenalin flow and relax the heart, maybe someone such as myself who can spike under stress very easily, finds a beta blocker to be calming? Just a thought.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Brenden,

Oh, I do hope I didn't offend you! My remarks were not meant to be age specific---only that research has shown that there are some factors that influence how we absorb meds, age being only one of those factors...

FYI, when I was younger than you, I often took either children's doses or geriatric doses of medication because I OD'd on the typical dose for people. Seems like I may still be having that problem given the side effects I've experienced.

Sounds like your daughter has a sense of humor, ! She'll keep you young no matter what your chronological age is!Glad to hear you're responding well to the beta blocker...take care.

Bethsheba

Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
    Exegesis
    Veteran
    (male)

Hi Bethsheba, (real name? Beth=house, Biblical name?),

No offense taken....LOL ;-) My daughter may raise my pressure as she just turned 15....:-o

I tend to react to meds easily. When I took Lisinopril, 10 mg put me down to under 120/72. But couldn't tolerate the med. Other pills have had similar significant effects. I have gotten side effects from various meds when I didn't even know such side effects existed, therefore ruling out psychosomatic side effects.

Hopefully this will be the ticket. If not, try, try again!

Regards, Brenden.

Closed Thread