It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Alternative for hydrochlorothiazide

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
    strong_one
    (female)

strong_one HB User
    Alternative for hydrochlorothiazide

Is there any substitute for hydrochlorthiazide if you are allergic? I developed little red dots on my arms from it, discontinued it and now my BP has shot back up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #2
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
    Re: Alternative for hydrochlorothiazide

Yes there is: LASIX (furosemide) and it is a REALLY nice drug.

It is a potent diuretic taken once or twice a day and it drains away excess fluid before you can say..."Where's the toilet!"

Last edited by Lenin; 04-20-2007 at 04:46 AM.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I thought I was allergic to HCTZ but it turned out that it is probably the yellow dye #6 in the inactive ingredients. I have a plain HCTZ with cornstarch in a capsule made up by a compound drug store-insurance pays for it. I read that there is less risk of electrolyte imbalance with HCTZ.
    There are other diuretics too, but I rule most of them out because of potential side effects. Fam

Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by famnd View Post
    I thought I was allergic to HCTZ but it turned out that it is probably the yellow dye #6 in the inactive ingredients.
    This was very helpful, fam...too often, we think it is the drug and forget about the additives. How did you come to suspect the yellow dye? Or better yet, how do we determine if is the drug or the additive?

Was your pharmacist some help in all of this?

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-20-2007 at 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling/typo

Closed Thread