It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• How to switch from atenolol to avapro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
    Brenieboo1965
    (female)

Brenieboo1965 HB User
    How to switch from atenolol to avapro?

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes and have been found to have protein in my urin. My doctor says I should switch from atenolol to avapro, as it will protect my kidneys. According to my doctor, I'm supposed to do this by cutting my atenolol in half and take 150mgs. of avapro with it. Well I tried that, and the results were terrible. My chest start hurting and it put me in the ER.
    According to the triage nurse, I was admitted with a blood pressure of 170/120, low blood oxygen levels, and a very slight fever. I felt extremely hot. Not a fever hot, more like it was 100 degrees in the hospital, kinda hot.
    The ER doctor ordered blood work, which came back normal, a EKG which also came back normal,and a urine test which showed protein in my urine. She then tried to tell me the chest pains was acid reflux. But I was having no stomach problems at all at the time. I Personally think it had to do with combining the atenolol with the avapro. After all, does acid reflux lower blood oxygen and cause blood pressure to soar?
    I do know that I want to protect my kidneys and that atenolol will not do this, and that avapro will. Therefore is there any correct way to switch from atenolol to avapro?
    Brenieboo1965

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: How to switch from atenolol to avapro?

I don't buy that acid reflux explanation...it may be true, but I don't buy it!

Check with your pharmacist to see what he/she says about changing the doses. Pharmacists are VERY knowlegable and we forget that they should be active members of our health care team.

Bsheba

Old 04-21-2007, 05:17 AM   #3
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Brenie,

In susceptible people, a sudden lowering of a beta-blocker will bring on an angina attack...that MAY have happened to you.
    What was your original dosage of atenolol?

In the presence of chest pain but with an absence of some good cardio testing, no COMPETENT doctor should diagnose "acid reflux."

Last edited by Lenin; 04-21-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin View Post

In the presence of chest pain but with an absence of some good cardio testing, no COMPETENT doctor should diagnose "acid reflux."
    Excellent point, Lenin. You're right on!

Bsheba

Old 04-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
    Brenieboo1965
    (female)

Brenieboo1965 HB User

My original dose of atenolol is 25 mgs. once a day.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:52 AM   #6
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Bren,

I doubt that dropping from 25 mg. to 12.5 mg, should cause much difficulties unless you were on the 25 mg. for MANY years. THose are fairly low doses.

Let me toss in a personal observation. I find that if I take ONLY Cozaar without any diuretic, my blood pressure will go UP over 10 points from baseline (NO DRUGS.) You might be the same type of person for whom angiotensin receptor blockers like Avapro are useless.
    Have you ever been on a diuretic? If not, maybe it's a good choice.

What I'm getting at is that your problem might have been that you were weaning off a drug that works onto one that not only DOESN'T work, but RAISES your blood pressure.
    (You won't find this info anywhere...it's my very personal observation about how the salt sensitive minority is different from the majority of hypertensives.)

Old 04-22-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I stopped taking my 25 mg cold turkey (without medical advice due to severe side effects) and only felt better, and better, and absolutely great!!! after going off of it. But aside from hbp, I had no other medical conditions.

Everyone is different so I'm not advocating this...

Bsheba

Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
    Brenieboo1965
    (female)

Brenieboo1965 HB User

Hi,
    Yes I've been on atenolol for over 9 years and no, I have not taking any diuretics. Also yes, I have a problem with salt. I have now stopped the avapro and started back with my atenolol and feel like a million bucks. I can take deep breaths again and I actually cut my entire yard with a push mower (10 acres).
    I am still worried about my kidneys. I have another appt. with my doctor on May 15. Hope things turn out better this time around.
    Brenieboo1965

Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    What I'm getting at is that your problem might have been that you were weaning off a drug that works onto one that not only DOESN'T work, but RAISES your blood pressure.
    (You won't find this info anywhere...it's my very personal observation about how the salt sensitive minority is different from the majority of hypertensives.)
    I have read that the reason it is important to wean patients off of alpha blockers and beta blockers is because stopping the drug too fast will result in increased blood pressure and increased heart rate. Some patients experience increased angina or heart attacks with abrupt withdrawal. Atenolol is a beta blocker and falls into this category!

Bsheba

Closed Thread