It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• BP lower, pulse higher?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User
    BP lower, pulse higher?

I am confused by this: since monitoring my BP at home for several weeks, the BP has dropped (possibly due to a number of things) from 140s/150s over 90s, "down" (I want it lower) to a "stable" 130/80 for last 4 days (taken at approx. 3:30 pm every day).

BUT my pulse rate while taking it shoots up. I can FEEL it as soon as the cuff tightens, and it comes out consistently (always) at 110. I am scared by this. I know I have "cuff anxiety" and BTW, xanax seems to have no effect on either BP or pulse rate. I also have several PVCs right after the home test, which also kind of scares and confuses me.

I know I am anxious when taking pulse, so wondering how to interpret these readings? Are these normal BP readngs and pulse rate while stressed?

For the record, my last average pulse rate was 72 (2 months ago) and nuclear stress test at same time recorded "normal blood pressure response). I do cardio every day, and keep my heart/pulse rate in "the zone" (133-145 BPM) for 30 minute stretch. 45 years old.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
    wholegrain
    Veteran
    (female)

wholegrain HB User
    Re: BP lower, pulse higher?

Well I'm not a doctor, but I am someone who has been to heck and back with anxiety, and this sounds like anxiety and nothing more or less to me.

You know I experience the same thing often where my bp is low but my pulse is high. I have noticed that my pulse is much higher, and consistently higher, during more anxious periods in my life. I suffer from hypotension rather than hyPERtension, and my worst anxiety happens when my bp is at it's lowest, like 85/45. However, I can't tell if my bp is low because I'm anxious, or I'm anxious because my bp is low.

I don't know if any of that helps you, but I hope maybe it does.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

My BO has been trending down from 150s to 120s/70s now. I always use left arm. Lately my pulse which was in the 100s has been in the 70s recently.

Ok so today I tried my right arm for first time...114/74, but pulse was 124!!! I guess this is my lower BP arm, but the pulse thing is bizarre. I WAS anxious, because I was afraid the right arm BP (which the nurse uses) would be high...

Old 05-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

[/QUOTE]You know I experience the same thing often where my bp is low but my pulse is high. I have noticed that my pulse is much higher, and consistently higher, during more anxious periods in my life. I suffer from hypotension rather than hyPERtension, and my worst anxiety happens when my bp is at it's lowest, like 85/45. However, I can't tell if my bp is low because I'm anxious, or I'm anxious because my bp is low.[/QUOTE]

That is very scary! I hope my BP does not get that low! I know what you mean regarding your anxiety! I don't think I could take it. Last night it got to 102/90,and my heart was racing! I got so anxious I could not fall asleep, because I was afraid of getting sick while I slept! I am not used to these low numbers at all!!
    They scare me. Luckily, it does not happen often. I think walking in the evenings sometimes heightens the effect of beta blockers. My BP was 134/82
    this morning.

Acp,

you are doing just fine! Your BP will come down a little more, just give it time. Mine still fluctuates around 130s and spikes occassionally to 150s. I get frequent readings in 120s as well. Much better than it used to be, not perfect.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 05-05-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Closed Thread