It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Hctz....can you just stop cold turkey?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-28-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
    stars13
    (female)

stars13 HB User
    Hctz....can you just stop cold turkey?

Hi guys,,i'm just wondering about this. is there a rebound effect? how long does it last?

one day last week, i didn't take it and i felt so energized, but next day, bp went up and my fingers were puffy. so i took it, 12.5mg. and wow, i was so tired again. well, yesterday i again skipped it, felt great again. but i'm worried about today. my fingers look like they will swell again. if i let it go, will it get much worse? i know if i swell, my bp will go up. i haven't taken my bp, trying not to let anxiety make things worse. i'm sure i will check it soon though.

stars

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 07:15 AM   #2
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User
    Re: Hctz....can you just stop cold turkey?

Well it seems you need a diuretic to keep you blood pressure and swelling under control. So stopping and starting it is serving no purpose as it relates to HBP. If it's making you too tired, check with your doc about another diuretic which might not have the same effect for you. It's not a good idea to go on and off a med, it confuses your body cycles.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
    stars13
    (female)

stars13 HB User

Thanks for your reply, and you're so right about confusing the body cycle. mine is totally boggled, i've been switching so much between 4 meds. trying to find which one is making me sick. i know it's not good. i'm just totally convinced that at least one of them, i believe it's the cardizem, is the culprit. but then i wonder if it is the hzt also. i'm driving myself nuts, and everyone else around me.

i'm so confused, i don't even know where to begin explaining to a pharmacists or even my dr. i see him in 2 weeks and i'm trying to figure out which pill i think i want him to change.

believe me, i think i'm losing my mind. sorry ............

Old 04-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User

Getting the meds right is a job. Don't feel overwhelmed. I can tell you from my experience that HCTZ does the best for me for controlling the bp. Without it, I also take Lotrel (Norvasc and a calcium channel blocker), my blood pressure creeps up till I need to take it again. I take Lotrel for its other benefits for me.

I think the tiredness from the HCTZ can go away after a month or so when your body gets used to it. You don't say how long its been. They all take getting used to as the body adjusts. Anything causing itching or breathing difficulty, ofcourse has to be stopped. But I would give the tired feeling a little time to subside.

Just my 2 cents, and good luck!

Closed Thread