It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Any natural supplements I have not tried?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #31
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User
    Re: Any natural supplements I have not tried?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    I am so relieved to hear you checked with your doctor first. Of course, doing your own research prior to using any new drug or product is absolutely essential. The doctors don't know everything and can easily overlook a symptom or prescribe an unsuitable medication.

Good luck!
    Very true indeed. I am lucky to have a doctor who has patience with my supplement experiments. The fact that his BP is higher than mine makes me think he may be learning a few things from me as well. We all have to learn from each other, as we are all in this same nasty boat together! I may disagree with some of the opinions on this board, but I would never in a million years not read them and take them seriously.

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #32
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

You are lucky, indeed, to have such an open-minded doctor. I find the pharmacists here very anti-supplement and no help at all. My GP is like that, too. Quick to prescribe any pharmaceutical drug without hesitation. (I noticed that it is always one that's patented and expensive). When it comes to supplements, he does not care at all which ones his patients take. My other doctors have a list.
    This doctor has high blood pressure too, though nothing like mine. He controls his easily with two meds. I think this can work against us, the patients, at times. There's no way he can compare himself to me healthwise in any way, yet he does, all the time. None of my complaints or problems are a big deal and therefore worth looking into. They are left for the others to deal with.
    I get my supplement and nutritional information from several different sources. There's an excellent journal of clinical nutrition I often refer to. I find it extremely helpful.

flowergirl

Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #33
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

My doctor's BP is higher than mine...mid-high 140s/80s, and he is not on meds yet. He might be following my own BP diary that I send him every couple weeks.

I often wonder about this...doctors can be too quick to prescribe meds, but maybe they are too slow to as well? Its tough to figure out what to do when you second-guess your doctor. A colleague of mine has a doctor at the same clinic who put him on atenalol immediately when his BP hit 132/80!

tamuprof45

P.S. I thought Canadian doctors were pretty pro-supplement...no?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #34
    mmvic
    (male)

mmvic HB User

tamuprof45, I can't remember if it was mentioned but magnesium has been shown to lower or control blood pressure in some people. You can search the forum for more information. Usually, the best results are with a soluble salt such as a citrate.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #35
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmvic View Post
    tamuprof45, I can't remember if it was mentioned but magnesium has been shown to lower or control blood pressure in some people. You can search the forum for more information. Usually, the best results are with a soluble salt such as a citrate.
    I've been taking mag citrate for months actually...it does help with heart palpitations but I don't think its done much for my blood pressure. If you drink coffee and alcohol, even moderately, then you most definitely need to take a mag supplement, as but flush out more magnesium from your system than you can possibly imagine!

tamuprof45

Old 11-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #36
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

I came across new information when reading a chapter about strokes in a book titled "Blended Medicine" this morning. It made me wonder how safe my daily dose of vitamin E was. Slightly concerned, I decided to ask a pharmacist about it.

High fat & high cholesterol diets contribute to the formation of free radicals, which damage the arteries in the brain (and elsewhere in the body). Antioxidants (found mostly in fruits & veggies) fight the free radicals and help prevent the damage they cause. Vitamin E is a very powerful antioxidant. It seems to lower the incidence of blood clots that trigger ischemic strokes. On the other hand, it may increase a risk of hemorrhagic stroke and one should always check with the doctor regarding its use.

I found this information about vitamin E increasing the risk of a stroke disturbing. That's exactly what a daily dose of aspirin does! It decreases the risk of one type of a stroke, while increasing the risk of another.

I take 800IU of vitamin E every day, mainly for its antioxidant properties. The recommended daily dose is 400-800IU. The pharmacist wanted to know which multivitamins I take. I picked up a bottle of Centrum Gold and handed it to her. After checking the label for vitamin E content she said I should take no more than 200IU a day. She also mentioned that recent studies (which I have not checked out yet) seem to suggest vitamin E is not be as beneficial as once thought.

flowergirl

Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #37
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

Unfortunately a LOT of supplements that lower the incidence of one kind of stroke raise the incidence of the other. I have heard similar anecdotes about garlic, grapeseed, and coenzyme Q, and fish oil as well. I guess its a matter of seeing what type of stroke is in your family history and acting accordingly. For me its the hemmoragic kind, which is why I try and take supplements that keep arteries strong.

tamuprof45

Old 11-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #38
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tamuprof,

It seems that one just can't win. I will have to look into this further. I am not stopping the vitamin E, unless there is compelling evidence that it is harmful in certain doses. You are absolutely right, we have to choose what and when to take. At times, I find making these decisions quite difficult without any professional guidance. Each individuals' situation is different. Some consideration must be given to the person's health status, existing medical issues, age, genetic makeup, etc. etc. I guess it is a matter of doing a lot of research, reviewing the options and weighing the potential risks and benefits of each prior to making any decision.
    There's a history of heart disease, not stroke in my immediate family. I am at a very high risk for both so have to watch it. My parents and sisters all have/had high blood pressure, well controlled and not nearly as severe as mine.

flowergirl

Old 11-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #39
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

In Europe and Asia, doctors routinely prescribe supplements in certain doses, and provide patients with info about interactions, when to take them etc. Because such things are not taken seriously by the American medical establishment, patients here are largely forced to do their own research about this, or just shrug and submit to the piling on of BP meds, which doctors of course don't hesitate to provide suggestions on.

I base my supplement recommendations and doses on the handful of DOCTORS on this country like Andrew Weil, Ray Sahelian, and Michael Murray, who actually research this stuff. But sadly they are far too few and far between.

tamuprof45

Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 PM   #40
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for that comment, tamuprof.

In several European countries patients get reimbursed for the cost of alternative medicine products (as prescribed by their doctors). I can see the advantages of choosing these treatments over conventional ones (whenever the circumstances allow) - lower cost and few or no side effects. Their health care systems are very impressive. I watched a documentary about the health care in several European countries on one of our networks recently. There are unbelievably efficient systems in place in the countries shown. We have a lot to learn.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #41
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User

It is also a case of medical practicioners just being more open-minded, and knowledgeable about supplement alternatives...the pros, and the cons as well. The reason, I suspect, that so few really good medical studies on the effects and interactions of supplements are done over here is that there are no vested interests in doing so. Huge pharmaceutical companies don't really care.

Similarly, other important issues are ignored in dietary research, such as the fact that the vast majority of crops and produce grown in the U.S. are deficient in selenium, an element that may have BP lowering qualities.

tamuprof45

Old 11-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #42
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Unfortunately a LOT of supplements that lower the incidence of one kind of stroke raise the incidence of the other. I have heard similar anecdotes about garlic, grapeseed, and coenzyme Q, and fish oil as well
    I just read an article about anti-inflammatory foods & supplements in a Canadian Health magazine.
    They say Omega3s are safe to take, up to 3grams (3,000mgs) a day. It is only when people take extremely high amounts of these that they have an increased risk of bleeding. I've known about the garlic & Omega 3s having an effect similar to aspirin on the platelets for some time now. I posted a question about their use with aspirin on the heart board some time ago. I had some concerns about their safety back then.
    My supplements were reviewed and approved by a doctor as well as a dietician. I assume they won't do any harm.

flowergirl

Closed Thread