It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• High BP/ My Mom / 3 Meds / Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
    CynAnn
    (female)

CynAnn HB User
    High BP/ My Mom / 3 Meds / Questions

Hello,

My Mom is almost 75 and is in very good overall health, she does have high BP and the past few months it has started to run a bit higher.

She has been taking Lisinopril 20mg, for a few years with success. But the past few months, her BP has been 180/90 , 192/93...so her Doc placed her on 40mg of the Lisinopril (1 time a day) and Microzide 5mg., once a day.

After 2 weeks, of taking the 2 meds, My Mom's top number is still HIGH! the past few readings have been 179/66 and 180/56

So...the Doc added Toprol XL 25 mg (once a day) to the list, making it 3 meds to take for BP once a day.

My Mom is confused and I am out of town unable to meet with her Doctor to get more information until 25h.

Does anyone know why the top number would stay so high?

Also - is it common for someone with high BP to take 3 different meds at the same time?

Any information is so greatly appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User
    Re: High BP/ My Mom / 3 Meds / Questions

Yes, many people take three meds to control HBP. It looks like your mother is taking similar things to what I am, tho in different doses. An ACE inhibitor, a diuretic and a beta blocker if I read them correctly.

It can take from two to four weeks till they all kick in their full effect.

If they are not helping after that time your mother has to get with her doctor to check other health factors, etc.

Be sure she is taking her BP readings at home two times a day to get a good accurate read and to tell her doc what her home readings are.

You asked about the top number vs the bottom. As we get older the bottom number tends to go down as our hearts start to weaken. The top number tends to go up as we age. Just be sure her bottom number doesn't get too low, probably should be near or above 70ish.

Hope that helps a little.

Last edited by ms58; 06-14-2007 at 12:21 PM.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Until recently, I was taking three BP meds each day... an ACE, water pill, and calcium channel blocker. I have since stopped the CCB as I did not like the side effects, and have doubled the ACE (Fosinopril) in it's place (my Dr's Recommendation).

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 06-15-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Cynann,

Who took the "high" readings that your mother had? I would first question the accuracy of those readings to find out if they were in fact reflective of her bp overall. Too many of us on this board have been prescribed meds or more meds for blips or inaccurate readings.

Secondly, I question adding two new drugs. Sometimes it helps to reduce the dose of a medication, especially if the person is older. Lisinopril is not metabolized but instead is excreted by the kidneys. As we get older, our kidney function changes and we "hang on to" chemicals longer than we did as a "youngster"---that means that although we've been taking one dose for "years", it's possible that dose may be too much now and may cause problems. (I was only 54, and except for sleep apnea had no other medical conditions, when I took a minimal dose of lisinopril and experienced symptoms of an overdose.) If a reduced dosage doesn't help, upping the dose (providing she not at the max dose of lisinopril) before adding one new med may help. Problem with adding 2 new drugs at one time is that if there are side effects, or perhaps I should say "when" there are side effects, the doctors (if they are actually looking for side effects--many don't!) have a difficult time figuring out which drug is causing the problems.

If the bp readings were/are accurate, I would personally look at "causes" before changing meds...sleep, salt, inactivity, alcholol intake can change our bp numbers. It may be your mother changed some activities of daily living and it is reflected in her numbers. If so, perhaps there are some non drug options she could try.

Bsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-14-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
    CynAnn
    (female)

CynAnn HB User

Hi,

Thank you all so very much for your helpful replies!!!

The BP readings were from the Doctor's office. My Mom lives a few miles from the office and we drop in several times a week for a reading to keep a check on things since it has been running a little higher than normal.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Get her a BP monitor at Costco or other drug store. They aren't too much money... like $40. Then she can check it a few times a day and write down the numbers for the doctor to see. This is what I do.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
    She has been taking Lisinopril 20mg, for a few years with success.
    Cyn,
    The body has an uncanny ability to circumvent ACE inhibitors after a long period. They often lose their usefulness after a year or more.
    Perhaps a trial with an ARB (Cozaar, Diovan, Atacand, Benicar) might be wise at this point (replacing the lisinopril.)

IF she is salt sensitive hypertensive she might need more HCTZ than 5 mg. Psst, it's a cheap generic so there is no reason to buy the premium brand name, Microzide.
    Does she have any p[roblems with water retention, edema?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
    CynAnn
    (female)

CynAnn HB User

I'm going to get her a BP monitor this weekend and check it several times a day, that is an excellent idea and something that I can keep up with first hand and present to the Doc.

Also...she has never had a problem with fluid retention, no problems with edema. she is very petite, only 95 pounds and eats 5-6 small meals a day, she does have a habit of eating salty snacks, loves Lays chips and cheese-doodles!!! which she has cut back on since her readings have increased.

STRESS? does that play a role in BP readings being higher? I have heard that stress can cause high BP but wasnt sure if that was a fact.

Thanks again for everything!!!!

Closed Thread