It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Side effects of Antihypertensives

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Side effects of Antihypertensives

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you experienced breathing difficulties as a result of being on BP medication.
    If so, could you describe them? (i.e. was there any accompanying pain?)

Thank you.

Flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Side effects of Antihypertensives

Hi!

I experienced some breathing problems with my meds but I can only be sure of 2 of the 5 drugs I was on because I didn't associate the respiratory problems with blood pressure...

hydrochlorothiazide---had nasty coughing "fits" where I couldn't catch my breath (I remember this because I would always empty my bladder when I coughed, requiring a change of clothing---another nasty side effect of hct that I haven't mentioned in previous posts)

atenolol--a period of about 4 weeks during and after discontinuing atenolol when I would have these coughing "fits" where I couldn't catch my breath

Some of the bp meds warned about being prescribed to someone with asthma--I don't officially have asthma but I have been meaning to go back and see if these were the meds.

Oh, and while researching the causes for some of my symptoms on hct, I came across some info that said "heavy, labored breathing" was a symptom of excessive sodium which is caused by too much sodium in the diet and/or aldosteronism.

But short and sweet, my breathing problems were basically trying to catch my breath by coughing long dry coughs. Oh, and I never "caught" the famous ACE inhibitor cough...

Hope this helps.

Bsheba

Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

It sure does help.

Thank you so much! I am still trying to determine whether my breathing problems are drug related or of some other origin.

I was problem free for a while after discontinuing Labetalol but it seems something else is going on now. I can breathe now (so so)during exertion but it sure hurts. So much so that I have to stop several times (while walking up a street) as I did before. It feels different than before.

I had such a bad episode earlier while out walking I got scared. I did not want to leave the populated area and do my usual route through the woods, that's how scared I was. (I did, anyway). Really weird. Just wondering if it could be the respiratory tract infection problem that's a possible side effect of Micardis. I do not know what an infection feels like as I've never had one before (as far as I know). At least my headache is not as bad now.

P.S. There's one other possibility - maybe I imagined it all and am becoming a hypochondriac....

Thanks a lot!

Flowergirl

Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

No, you're not a hypochodriac!

Have you tried looking at the clinical studies done for the drugs you are/were on to see what respiratory problems they reported? I know the info is VAGUE or understated, but it may help.

Bsheba

Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

It had not occured to me to look for studies. I don't know who's spend time & money conducting studies of the side effects of certain drugs (certainly not the drug manufacturers!). I'll give it a shot.

I am seeing my doc today and plan to report this to him. I am also wondering what to do about Micardis - if anything. I will be needing a script today. If this drug is going to cause me difficulties, I do not want it. It costs close to 60 dollars for a 1 month supply. I have an unused blister pack of Diovan 160mg which cost 50 bucks and I can't even take. This is why I'd like to know the reason for my problem. I don't work now and have no money to waste.

My chest is very sensitive to touch. (Achy). Perhaps the only way to find out is to see the right doc. Pulmonary or gastro? Who knows. It will mean a long wait either way. What if it is only a drug reaction?

thanks for your help, Beth.

Flowergirl

Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Just noticed how swollen my feet are. Can't see my ankles at all.This is why I think it's the meds. I just don't know what will happen if I can't learn to tolerate Micardis. 4 weeks or so are needed to see if it works. What other options do I have? Meanwhile, my BP has been in an unhealthy range. My head throbbed a few times because of this (a different ache from my headache and in a different location). My BP had spiked the other day to 187/110 while I was out in the garden. Came up to measure it - sure enough it was high. It seems that my other meds don't do a good job of keeping it controlled. Fun never ends. I am leaving on Wednesday to visit the kids and dont' need this now. Sorry for sounding so down...I am not really. Just a bit frustrated, that's all.

Flowergirl

Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

I have had wonderful success with the ACE inhibitor Monopril. I've been taking it for 16 years with no issues.

I recently took a calcium channel blocker (norsvac I think) and it was the worst. Like you, I could not see my ankles due to water retention... and water retention in my legs too. I felt like I was walking around with waterballons under my skin.

This medication also made me quite tired and I started gaining weight.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vman,
    Quote:
    I recently took a calcium channel blocker (norsvac I think) and it was the worst

I am on both. I take Ramipril (ACE) and Felodipine (CCB). I am also on Spironolactone. I need something else with all these to bring the BP down again. Preferrably not beta blockers as they cause me a very bad shortage of breath. Perhaps that's the problem, too many meds interacting with each other, reducing each other's effectivenes and increasing the occurence and intensity of adverse effects.

thanks
    Flowergirl

Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 AM   #9
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Norvasc: swollen ankles and extreme irritability (serious)

Propranalol, atenolol, nadolol: fatigue, exhaustion, ED, and insomnia (serious)

Enalapril (ACE inhibitor): endless coughing (serious)

Cozaar (ARB blocker): ineffectiveness (not very serious)

HCTZ: few problems but contiunuous low serum sodium on blood tests (not very serious)

Furosemide (Lasix): no problems at all...works well for BP and doubles at keeping my water retention to near nothing. <<Hooray for Lasix>>

I currrently take Furosemide (40 mg) and Cozaar (50 mg.)

Old 06-19-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will definetely ask if he would consider putting my on Lasix. I'd rather not go back on the beta blockers.
    I am to discontinue Micardis, wait two weeks, if no breathing problems-fine-if not-appt.with a pulmonologist. A selective beta blocker will also be started then.

I expressed my concern about a likely increase in BP while on three BP drugs (I have never been on only three BP drugs before). The doc said not to worry - it was not likely to get back up to 250, was it?
    What kind of an answer is that? Just when should I start worrying? He then tells me to come back in two weeks. When making an appointment up front with the nurse for two weeks from now, I am told he is leaving for a 4 week holiday starting this coming weekend. Geez, thanks a lot.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Is it possible for a diuretic to lose its effectiveness?

I've never had an edema problem with my meds but I do now. I was hoping it would be gone in a day. My feet feel very tight and uncomfortable and I am retaining water.
    Good thing it's summertime and I can wear flip flops. They are not very good for driving though.

Flowergirl

Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 AM   #12
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I doubt your diuretic is loosing effectiveness. I suspect what you are experiencing is peripheral edema, swelling of the feet and ankles (for example), which is a side effect of many medications--Micardis, for example. I would hope that you would check with your pharmacist and your doctor asap as this side effect can be very serious in some people.

Bsheba

Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #13
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

My daughter was put on Inderal to quiet her contractions while in the hospital. She became SOB & the Dr's & Nurse's were very concerned & kept ordering more & more tests to find out the cause. Finally my daughter piped up & told the nurse to look up the side effects of Inderal. Sure enough Inderal was the cause.

I haven't heard of a diuretic losing it's effectiveness but I can see it might happen under certain conditions. Has it been stored improperly before or after you purchased it? I know it is a pain with the summer heat to avoid leaving it in the car while doing other shopping. I had a problem with Lebetalol after getting the same med from the same manufacturer for 3 yrs.
    I opened a new bottle & my b/p's kept going up & up. After two wks, I went back to the pharmacy to question the potency of the med. Then I had to go to another pharmacy to get the drug from another manufacturer. The new bottle worked fine. So something was wrong with the first bottle. No refund of course!!! Fam

Old 06-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I do so enjoy your posts, fam. Down to earth and always something to think about.

Yes, too often doctors don't think about looking for the side effects FIRST. At least the good docs look for SOMETHING instead of prescribing another drug to address the problems.

You make some excellent points about properly storing medication. I doubt that many people know that the medicine cabinet is about the worst place to store medicines because it is usually in a warm and humid room, and many medications need to be stored in a cool, dry place.

Your comment about the potency of the med is very valid, too. I experienced a similar situation while caring for a diabetic. My patient was experiencing high readings out of the blue...the only thing I could think of was it was the medication. I called the doctors' office, only to find they had other patients with similar experiences. I suggested the medication and gave them the id numbers off of the bottle of insulin. Sure enough, the manufacturer switched a supplier and the quality wasn't the same. I often wonder how many diabetics would have suffered before anyone figured it out.

Bsheba

Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Hi Beth,

That was some good detective work!!! Isn't it enough to be a patient & have to take these yucky meds without having to keep on top of all these details!!!

Here's the rest of the story re: pharmacy & drugs. The second Rx worked but it too had a problem. I started finding pills with NO labeling-plain white instead of the Id of the manufacturer & the number of the drug. Of course, I wasn't going to take those pills. So off I when back to the pharmacy with my pills. I thought the pharmacist & assistant would have been alarmed that I had been given medicine without a proper indentification. The pharmacist told me to just forget it. I informed him of the potential seriousness of the situation for the average patient!!! Moral to the story, always check your pills before taking them. If I hadn't been so sick at the time from my Cozaar reaction I would have reported him to the pharmacy board.
    Fam

Closed Thread