It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Flowergirl re: titrating labetalol & feet swelling

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Flowergirl re: titrating labetalol & feet swelling

I was wondering when your Dr. started you on Lebetalol, if he titrated the dose as the package insert recommends? Also, are your feet & ankles still swollen? I've read that sometimes slowly introducing a drug decreases the likelyhood of side effects. Are you still planning on going back to work soon?
    Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Flowergirl re: titrating labetalol & feet swelling

Hi,

I was weaned off a huge IV dose of Labetalol to 800mg. It took a long time to stabilize my BP. Many drugs were tried in different combinations without any success. The BP doctor worried I'd have to remain on an IV therapy (I had a PICC in my superior vena cava then) indefinitely. There never was a happy medium (a lower dose of Labetalol) for me.

I think I need the Labetalol because it worked so well for me in the past. (Not taking its side effects into consideration). I have just come across this interesting fact in one of the studies: beta blockers keep edema from pharmaceutical drug use down. If true, my discontinuing the alpha and beta blockers could have triggered this annoying problem. It's not really a problem compared to other peoples'. While on a holiday, I spent a couple of days with a lady who'd had a large portion of her upper arm tissue removed due to cancer a few years ago. Her lower arm has a permanent REAL edema. Mine is nothing.

Lenin suggested Lasix as a very effective diuretic. I have no idea if two different diuretics can be used concurrently. I think I will ask to take both if the doctor insists I remain on Spironolactone.

As for going back to work, I'd like to have my paychecks again....I told the management twice over the last six months that I would be returning to work within a week and they took me at my word. (The doctor refused ). I was horribly embarassed. Had to go to work and apologize to them and explain I was not ready yet! How humiliating! Now I don't want to show my face at work unless I can give them the date of my return and be 100% certain. The doctor gave me a green light for returning to work providing Micardis worked out. Well, Micardis did not work out just like the Diovan before it. Now the doctor is gone for holidays.

My biggest concern right now: if I go back on beta blockers (and it's almost a sure bet I will), will my airways constrict again? These beta blockers are supposed to be easier on the lungs. How do I know my old problems won't come back? If I report back to work after 7 months' abscence and THEN start getting out of breath with every exertion ....I will look REALLY stupid! My job involves continuous exertion and a lot of walking. I wish I had the answers.

I feel fine. My headache is much better now, just sort of lurking and intensifying only when my BP hits higher levels. I also had a couple of extremely low BP readings which raised my concern. It's as if my body thinks it's still on Labetalol. Beta blockers can and do cause temporary hypotension.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
    Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-29-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Closed Thread