It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Adverse effects after years of taking Inderal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User
    Adverse effects after years of taking Inderal

I have been taking Inderal LA 80mgs for several years for migraine and high blood pressure. It has suited me very well and controlled my headaches. However 6 weeks ago I had a virus with dizziness and since then I have suffered bad side effectsfrom the Inderal.My heart rate has been eratic and my BP has been very low with postural hypotension. I came off the Inderal and suffered a panic attack and so my GP put me on 40 mgs daily. I was still suffering from dizziness and anxiety symptoms. Yesterday she stopped the Inderal altogether. My BP is still low 100/70. Please could anyone let me know if they have suffered side effects after years of use and how long does the Inderal take to clear from your body. I am getting more and more anxious regarding the dizziness. Many thanks

Last edited by janiceo48; 07-11-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Adverse effects after years of taking Inderal

I'll have to think about your questions. In the meantime, I was on Inderal for about two months until I got a thick red rash on my neck. I switched to Lebatalol. My b/p dropped to 90/40-50 after having dental anesthesia (local) so I had to cut my huge dose of Lebetalol in half for two wks. My Dr. thinks it was a reaction to Lidocaine from the dental anesthesia. Were you on any other drugs for the virus? Fam

Old 07-11-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I wasn't on any medication but my GP thinks the virus affected my response to it.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Inderal clears quickly from the body, thus the 3 or 4 times.day dosing that is normally prescribed.

BUT your body grows dependent on the beta blockade and THAT can take months to recover from. Your body has learned to make a LOT more adrenaline and noradrenaline and therefor you should wean over some time before stopping Inderal (propranolol.)

I took propranolol for about 3 years.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Inderal clears quickly from the body, thus the 3 or 4 times.day dosing that is normally prescribed.

BUT your body grows dependent on the beta blockade and THAT can take months to recover from. Your body has learned to make a LOT more adrenaline and noradrenaline and therefor you should wean over some time before stopping Inderal (propranolol.)

I took propranolol for about 3 years.,,and I STILL take it at the first sign of a migraine/cluster headache...OR if I am expecting someone to come near me with a BP cuff.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User

Hi,
    thanks for your reply. It was very helpful. In your opinion is it unusual to have side effects after being on Inderal LA for so long. Regards

Old 07-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hello,

Quote:
    is it unusual to have side effects after being on Inderal LA for so long.
    As Beth would tell you (and still might if she reads your post ), no. It is not unusual for side effects to emerge months or years after starting the med. I did some pretty extensive research recently (still ongoing) on another BP medication, ACE Inhibitors. I learned that it can take months or years for the side effects or adverse reactions to surface. Drugs that may have been well tolerated for a long time without the patient experiencing any notable side effects might suddenly become intolerable, wreaking havoc. Also, they might eventually become ineffective due to their being used long-term.

Flowergirl

Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User

Hi,
    many thanks for your reassuring reply. I am now experiencing headaches after stopping the Inderal. Hope they will be short lived.My B/P is still low and even lower standing up. I wonder when the effects of the Inderal will stop being effective, days or weeks ??? Best wishes

Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Janice,

I had to discontinue Labetalol recently, after being on a high dose for 7 months. It's a combination of an alpha/beta blocker. Upon discontinuing this drug, I experienced a non-stop headache for about 61/2 weeks, and very noticable and bothersome heart rhythm irregularities. Everyone is different. As Lenin pointed out, your body grows dependent on this medication after a while and most people suffer withdrawal symptoms of one type or another when weaning off of this drug and AFTER it is totally discontinued. The dosage should be decreased gradually.

My feeling is that the higher the dose of beta blockers, the more intense the withdrawal symptoms. Also, if coming off a high dose, it might take longer for the residual effects to dissapear.

Flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 07-12-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #10
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Janice,

I had to discontinue Labetalol recently, after being on a high dose for 7 months. It's a combination of an alpha/beta blocker. Upon discontinuing this drug, I experienced a non-stop headache for about 61/2 weeks, and very noticable and bothersome heart rhythm irregularities. Everyone is different. As Lenin pointed out, your body grows dependent on this medication after a while and most people suffer withdrawal symptoms of one type or another when weaning off of this drug and AFTER it is totally discontinued. The dosage should be decreased gradually.

My feeling is that the higher the dose of beta blockers, the more intense the withdrawal symptoms. Also, if coming off a high dose, it might take longer for the residual effects to dissapear.

Flowergirl
    Flowergirl,

Many thanks for putting my mind at rest. I had started to think I had something very serious which of course made my heart race further. I am a little troubled that my GP told me to stop the Propranaolol immediately after being on 40mgs daily for just over a week. This was reduced from 80mgs LA which I had been taking for several years. She said Propranalol does not come in 20 or 10mgs any more. I was tempted to break a 40mgs tab in half for another week but decided to go along with her. She did not put me on any other medication despite being hypertensive in the past. I'm feeling a little better today but still prone to episodes of unsteadiness and classic panic symptoms. It's so good to be able to share these experiences.

Have a good day, Janice

Last edited by janiceo48; 07-12-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: did not add message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #11
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

For migraine...
    I find that Inderal 40 mg. works to STOP a migraine/cluster headache if caught right at the first sign of aura.
    So one need not take it every day, just when needed.
    Of course, that's the fast acting inderal.

This is MY personal observation for myself...I know it flies in the face of normal migraine prophyaxis which is medication every day, year in and year out.

I can get the same relief with ONE ergotamine or ONE Sansert (older migraine sufferers will recognize that drug name) bit Inderal is by FAR the more innocuous drug.

So, TRY it...it might work for you.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #12
    inacarr57
    (female)

inacarr57 HB User

Propronol IS available in 20 mg, I take that dosage.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inacarr57 View Post
    Propronol IS available in 20 mg, I take that dosage.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your response. I knew that the Propranalol did come in 10mg and 20 mgs but have to get the prescription from GP. I have heard that the smaller dose tablets are being withdrawn in the UK.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
    janiceo48
    (female)

janiceo48 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lenin View Post
    For migraine...
    I find that Inderal 40 mg. works to STOP a migraine/cluster headache if caught right at the first sign of aura.
    So one need not take it every day, just when needed.
    Of course, that's the fast acting inderal.

This is MY personal observation for myself...I know it flies in the face of normal migraine prophyaxis which is medication every day, year in and year out.

I can get the same relief with ONE ergotamine or ONE Sansert (older migraine sufferers will recognize that drug name) bit Inderal is by FAR the more innocuous drug.

So, TRY it...it might work for you.
    Hi Lenin,

I'm still experiencing postural hypotension after 6 days of coming off the propranalol. This morning my BP was 130/90 and dropped to 105/77 after 3 mins. I'm still feeling light headed and my pulse rate is very high. How long do you think this could go on? Can Propranalol have caused this problem permanently ? I think I will book an appt with a Cardiologist, I'm not happy being taken off all medication except Lipitor 40 mgs daily. My cholesterol level was 7 at the last check but was originally 9.9.
    Many thanks, Janice

Old 07-19-2007, 06:07 AM   #15
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Janice,

Well, a few more days have passed. Are you feeling any better?

Last edited by Lenin; 07-19-2007 at 06:07 AM.

Closed Thread