It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Beta blocker for high systolic?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
    Beta blocker for high systolic?

Hi-

New HBP pt this yr. Altace 2.5mg twice/day.
    At my Dr. visit, my sytolic seemed to be the higher, at 170/94. Asked the doc if the syst. had anything to do with stress/fight or fight response. He said yes. After about 15 minutes talking to him, pressure down to 150/82.

I guess I am trying to be my own Dr., but wondered if a beta-blocker might calm me down.- I tend to be a hyper person anyway, and wonder if it would help more than the Altace?

For those who have been on beta blockers, did they work well for you?
    Any significant side effects? I just hate to have my top # at 160-170, even if only for a short time d/t stress.

Thanks for any input.
    Leea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 AM   #2
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User
    Re: Beta blocker for high systolic?

You never really know how a particular med will effect each person till you try it. If your current med isn't keeping your BP under control, you could ask your doctor about trying something different or adding a small dose of a beta blocker and see what happens.

I added a beta blocker a few months ago, and mostly it calms my heart rate very well, so there is some calming effect in that way. But without my diuretic, by bp itself would be too high.

So in my case, it is taking an ace, beta blocker and diuretic to get good results. Low doses, but the combo works well.

It's all trial and error till you find the magic combo. Just start with low doses.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

Great advice. I agree, it IS all trail and error. I would feel safe taking a low dose of any BP med, If it might provide better control, and I would guess there would be little chance of any major SEs.

It seems my Dr. thinks the Altace is doing fine. He said I didn't need to come back until 1 year. - this seems a long time to wait for a new pt and it makes me nervous. Who knows? Maybe this is just medical protocol.

Leea

Old 07-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

leea,

Yes, beta blockers have a tranquillizing effect and they will lower your heart rate and cause the adrenaline rushes to be less intense.

The downsides are fatigue and, for some, insomnia.

But try it...many people get a LOT better BP response with BB's than with ACEI's. Not much to lose because systolic control to 170 or even 150 is not very good.

Probably the cheapest to try is one-a-day atenolol...maybe 50 mg.

Last edited by Lenin; 07-29-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
    ms58
    (female)

ms58 HB User

I always advocate that we have to be the monitors of our own health and how we feel.

If you don't have one, you should get a home monitor and take pressures maybe three or four times a week at different times to see how your pressure is at home when you are calm.

As long as they stay under 140/90 your doctor is OK in waiting a year to see you again. If they frequently go over that, you really should consider adding something else, beta blocker or diuretic to your ace medicine. Ace inhibitors are good meds for our kidneys and our heart even if they don't do a great job on BP reduction.

But as for myself, if I feel tense and my pressures go over 140/90, I request something as I don't like the feelings associated with the elevated pressure. It's always your decision, but do keep an eye on your readings and you be the judge, not your doctor who has 500 patients and forgets about you in about 3 minutes after you leave.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
    leea1206
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Lenin and ms58.
    Yes I do have a home monitor. My pressures are better at home, averaging 120-135/70-82, although even at home, sometimes 140-150 /85-90. They are the best about 1hr after exercise (110/70).

I'm going to check my pressure 4-5 times/day for a week and see if I there are any trends. Yes I do think a beta blocker or diuretic might work well and will fu with my Dr. if things don't improve. I am already watching sodium and eating more friut/veg. Wt is normal for ht and I exercise.

PS: I checked an old medical record at age 32. My pressure was 108/65 with a pulse of 56. - Boy, those were the days! (Now 49).

Leea

Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
    TLB50
    (male)

TLB50 HB User

I have been on a beta blocker (Toprol XL) for about 3 months. It has done a great job lowering my BP and pulse rate. I tend to be an anxious person and my BP would go up under stress. The BB has really helped. The only downsides are that I get tired much easier and I have gained about 8 pounds without changing my diet. Hopefully I can adjust my diet and bring my weight back down. The jury is still out.

Closed Thread