It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• HBP help please!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
    Melba
    (female)

Melba HB User
    HBP help please!

Hi all

For all you knowledgeable people... are there any herbal / natural remedies that have an effect on HBP?

I was medicated for HBP back in June. I was only prescribed a diuretic (HCTZ 25 mg.) that really seemed to work to keep the BP readings lower. However, I am out of my prescription and unable to see a Dr. for at least a week. I am noticing my BP climbing back up again and am beginning to get worried (which of course, contributes to the BP rise.) So, has any one had any success with natural or herbal stories, and has any one had any horror stories to share? Are there any natural diuretics that may work as well as the HCTZ?

BTW...I am attempting to get some form of exercise daily as well as trying to lose weight and watch the salt...not always successful there. I am 46, do not smoke and tend to be a bit hyper by nature!

Thanks for any insight!
    Melba

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
    jacquie07
    (female)

jacquie07 HB User
    Re: HBP help please!

Hi, you could try Garlique tablets and potassium tablets. The Garlique is found at any local drugstore and so are the potassium tabs. Fish oil tabs may also help.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #3
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

Reducing weight is the number one thing you can do. If your BMI is not in the healthy range, losing weight is always the first best natural option.

Also, HCTZ is extremely cheap... like less than $6 for 100 pills at Costco. I'd ask your Doctor for 100 pill subscription of twice the dosage so that you can split the pill in half... this makes 100 days only about $3. I did this myself fpr HCTZ.

And don't worry about going a week without your HCTZ... it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited by Guy1_USA; 08-10-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Agree with Venture man about losing wt. although I haven't accomplished losing my wt. Exercise feels so good once you get into it especially if you pair it with something else like your special CD. Drink at least 8 glasses of fluid to prime the pump so to speak to help get rid of sodium. To lower sodium it helps to choose foods that don't need as much salt or I find measuring my salt & putting it in a small salt shaker. This way I can actually enjoy the taste of the salt on food rather than have it hidden in food.

It could be dangerous to take potassium supplements without getting a blood test to find out what your blood potassium level is. Potasium supplements can go directly into the blood whereas a food source of potassium takes more time to get into the system. Too much potassium can stop the heart. Fam

Closed Thread