It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• What causes high blood pressure- is being overweight the main cause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
    Titanic Explore
    (male)

Titanic Explore HB User
    What causes high blood pressure- is being overweight the main cause?

What causes high blood pressure? 10 years ago, and 80 pounds lighter, my blood pressure was perfect. Today, after having packed on 80 pounds, my blood pressure is dangerously high. If I lose my weight, will my blood pressure definatly go down? Im wondering if being overweight is the reason people have high blood pressure- yet ive met thin people with high blood presure- so what is the cause? Weight? Genetics?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: What causes high blood pressure- is being overweight the main cause?

Titanic,

A number of factors determine whether or not a person will get high blood pressure in his or her lifetime. Genetics seem to play a significant role. Aging certainly does as well. Being oveweight does not help. Eating a lot of fast food, which is low in nutrients and high in fats does not help, either. Living a stressful life without taking the time to relax is bad for the blood pressure and overall health.
    All of the above applies to me. Both of my parents as well as two siblings have hypertension. I worked at a stressful job for many years, did not exercise and ate or cooked a lot of "easy" foods. There never seemed to be enough time after work for preparing nutritious meals.
    The biggest problem these days seems to be the number of children that are overweight. This fact raises many concerns among the medical professionals. A high occurence of obesity-related health problems is being predicted in the future. The ones most likely to suffer from chronic illnesses at a much younger age will be those that are growing up obese.

If you are serious about keeping in good health, you will try losing some of your excess weight. It usually means making a few adjustments to your diet and spending more time exercising. You should start seeing positive changes with the loss of just a few pounds. Give yourself plenty of time. Your blood pressure should improve. Unfortunately, some increases in blood pressure are attributed to getting older. Our blood vessels inevitably lose some of their elasticity over time, which results in an elevated blood pressure. That is one factor none of us can change.

Good luck!
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-22-2007 at 09:37 PM.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

I agree with the prior post. Try the obvious biggies first: weight loss, eating healthy (see posts on DASH diet), and consider some supplements for artery healthy and anti-inflammation. If these work, you should start seeing improvement in about 3 weeks.

acp

Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
    Summer1972
    (female)

Summer1972 HB User

I lost 40lbs and my bp has increased..doctors will not comment on it but it is probably genetic-both parents had it as well as many relatives.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

Yeah my BP was about 20 points lower when I was 30 lbs heavier too. Genetics sucks.

acp

Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
    Guy1_USA
    Inactive
    (male)

Guy1_USA HB User

I lost 20 lbs (and exercised 4-5 times a week) and was able to completely go off my meds. I really should consider exercising again.

I'm going to go lay down and comtemplate this...

Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
    kerry4
    (male)

kerry4 HB User

in may of this year, i had completely normal blood pressure.

i am 26 male, 6'4" and i was 260 lbs then.

About mid june i started losing my appetite and began losing weight. (Why? not sure)

Late June i was rushed to the ER first time ever in my life with palpitations and hypertension. (217/120)

Since that day, i cannot achieve a normal blood pressure without the use of meds. I am now down to 217lbs. Over 40 lbs in 2 1/2 months.

Docs are all baffled and still in diagnostics mode.

I wish it were as easy as eating better and losing weight for me.

Take it easy

Old 08-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

I would say conclusively after trying to get BP under control for 7 months using diet, exercise, weight loss, and supplements, that genetics is far and away the main cause. Scientists say it accounts for about 50% of BP, but I'd say its even higher than that. Someone mentioned cursing ancestors in a previous post, and I'm happy to support that view. I have led an athletic life, eaten healthy, taken care of myself, done everything humanly possible, and cannot get consistently "normal" BP numbers. Now I face the prospects of meds that (a) will probably make my life a living hell; and (b) probably won't work anyway since what I read suggests they work at best for 30% of the people who take them.

Of course who ever said life was fair? Sorry, just in a real crappy mood.

acp

Old 08-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Sorry, acp.

We cannot do much about our genes. At least you've had your chance to try the alternate route first before going on the meds. It does not work for everyone.
    I did not get an opportunity to find out whether or not it would have worked for me. I seriously doubt it. With both parents plus two siblings similarly affected, I feel I was destined to follow the same route.
    If you feel it will help, go right ahead and start cursing. By the way, high blood pressure is not the only familial trait I might have inherited. Our families' history includes all of the undesirables. Oh, those darn ancestors... ..

If you have to go on the meds, have the doc start you on tiny doses. That's probably all you'll need, anyway. The side effects aren't bad with minimal dosing.

FG

Old 08-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

I suppose when reason returns I'm not ready to give up just yet. My BP readings with my doctor are consistently 130/80, all the time. I consider those the most accurate, and I guess they are not BAD, but a simple 10 point drop would be nice. Its the weird spikes into the high 140s/150s that scare the crap out of me, esp. the ones that happen when I am feeling calm and perfectly happy.

So, I'll try a new home machine, up my exercise, cut out salt even MORE, etc.

acp

Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good to hear that!

Cutting back on salt is highly recommended for everyone, regardless of their blood pressure status. I just had that talk with one of my two sons yesterday. His BP is already into mid-high 140s at the age of 26. He has not seen the doc and figures it's no big deal. At least I got him to do the spot monitoring at the malls once in a while on those questionable monitors. He is more worried about doing the right exercises with his personal trainer than this blood pressure. Young people think they are invincible.

130/80 is respectable, I'd say. You can only hope it stays that way. To that end, keep up the good work!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #12
    acp44
    Inactive
    (male)

acp44 HB User

Cutting out salt is horrendously tough. At the great little health food store near me, there is exactly one soup that is low sodium, one yogurt, and one brand of bread...and i'm grateful for that. Virtually nothing in grocery stores is low sodium, even if it says it is (Cambell's low sodium soups for example). Its amazing all the food products that are low fat, yet virtually nothing that is genuinely low sodium. I try and cook and prepare almost all things myself and never use salt, but working close to 60 hours a week and having to eat out lunch from time to time makes it tough.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

There's a good reason food manufacturers add salt to everything. Salt is what makes food taste good. Without the added salt, people would stop buying the foodstfuffs. Have you noticed how much sodium is in one wholewheat bagel? I used to love bagels with cream cheese. A single one has anywhere from 300-450 mg of sodium. I would never have guessed. They don't even TASTE salty, some come with raisins in them. It's a shame. I agree it is difficult to find any products that are salt free, or made with a low salt content. There aren't enough of them on the market and our choices are extremely limited.
    Do they expect us to start baking our own bread and cook everything from scratch?
    Some foods just taste horrible with no salt added. One reason I've given up eggs in any shape or form. There are other foods like that. I tried sprinkling foods with Mrs Dash spices. Have all flavors here and never use them. They don't work for me. Yeah, having to watch one's salt intake is tough.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 08-30-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Not everyone is sodium sensitive. I think it is best to do a trial of 8 wks to see if there is any change in b/p. I did that once & found no difference. But need to do it again now that I am older. Salt really helps with reducing calories so why not use it if you can.

I like to cook salt free & measure my salt in a small salt shaker so I can taste the salt & yet go easy on it. Red peper flakes really help to up the flavor too when my stomach will tolerate it.

Being on a diuretic, I don't know how much salt I can safely exclude. Guess that will be my next experiment next time I get blood tests.

What about iodine in the salt if one doesn't eat fish? I'm not sure if prepared food has iodized salt or regular salt added.

Fam

Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 AM   #15
    Teacupforme
    (female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

I always had very low blood pressure until I had some other serious problems with my health and my relationship. I was under so much stress it was ridiculous. I was starting to always feel anxious and worried. I'd then notice that at those times when I was anxious my Bp was up 140/85, 145/92,150/98 and so on. It started climbing a bit higher and higher.

Well that was the beginning of essentail hypertension. The constant stress and worrying was constantly flooding my body with stress hormones and adrenaline. I don't think it ever really shut off.

Closed Thread