It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Previous posts regarding withdrawing from Atenol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
    jr2212
    (male)

jr2212 HB User
    Previous posts regarding withdrawing from Atenol?

I have read infomation in previous posts indicating that suddeningly withdrawing from Beta blockers can increase BP.

Bethsheba responded to a post saying she had read material indicating this. Bethsheba, if you read this post I would be very interested in knowing where I can access this material so I can read it?

I had posted earlier indicating that I had quit Atenol last Wed. and had fairly reasonable BP for two days without meds., then suddenly BP jumped 25 pts. on top and 15 on the bottom (from 135/85 to 160/100) the morning before I started taking Avapro. Had attributed this to possible large sodium intake, but after 4 days of less than 500mg/day of sodium I am discounting this. I started Avapro Sat. BP remained high, but settled some yesterday 145/92 with 92 pulse (pulse very high for me) but this morning BP 160/100 pulse 97. I read that Avapro can take a couple of weeks to be fully effective but after 1 1/2 yrs. on Atenol I'm wondering if I'm having a withdrawl problem from it since I never had BPs near this high even before I was on any meds.

Would appreciate any information that might be out there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Previous posts regarding withdrawing from Atenol?

Hi,

I'll mention my withdrawal symptoms. I was on a combination of alpha/beta blockers-Labetalol, maximum dose, for about 6 months. While getting an OK but not great blood pressure control (5BP meds in all), I developed a nasty shortness of breath, so the beta blockers had to go. I cut my dose to 1/2 for about a week, then was told by the GP to stop altogether. I developed a headache, very irregular heart beat (fast, slow, or a combo of the two) and chest pain. What was even worse, my shortness of breath returned within a week and a half. The headache was constant, 24/7, and lasted 6 weeks. Those were my withdrawal symptoms. I would recommend taking longer in getting off the medication. Decrease the dosage very gradually for best results, especially if your dose was a high one.

PS. The antihypertensives take anywhere from one to several weeks to work. You have to give yourself time. Do not panic because your blood pressure control is not optimal at the moment. Discuss you concerns with your doctor. Sometimes it takes months to get the medications just right. It's like cooking with seasonings, trying to achieve just the right taste. A lot of trial and error. The main thing is that you and your doctor are working on blood pressure control right now.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 09-27-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: adding ps

Old 09-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Hello jr,

I learned about rebound hypertension originally from Famnd, who, I believe, experienced it firsthand. The info was of interest to me because I abruptly stopped taking Atenolol (due to serious falls and drug-induced suicidal tendencies) without medical supervision. My experience with atenolol scared me so much that I stayed med free for about 4 weeks, during which time I bought a home monitor. Without looking at my notes, I would say it was about week 2 or 3 that my bp shot up to the highest it had been...from what i've read, rebound hypertension explains my situation. I have read that rebound hypertension is a known occurrance with beta blockers and centrally-acting antihypertensive agents, like clonidine.

I'm sure you'll find the info you need if you read about rebound hypertension.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

Last edited by moderator2; 09-27-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
    jr2212
    (male)

jr2212 HB User

Bethsheba - Thanx for all your (and everyones) assistance I spent the morning researching Beta Blocker withdrawl and found that most or perhaps all the symptoms I am experienceing on Atenol withdrawl could be very common (if not expected)! I want to share the information I found but I need to review the sites posting rules before I attempt it. There is very important information out there that everyone on Beta Blockers should know before attempting withdrawl! I feel certain my physican was not aware of the proper meathods for withdrawing patients, I have made copies of the relavent studies I reviewed for him and his associates.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Hi JR,

I developed a thick red rash from Inderal after being on it for three months so I had to get off of it quick. My Dr. switched, me to Clonidine a powerful drug which did little or nothing. Luckily, my flight or fight instinct kicked in (otherwise know as anxiety to Doc's) & I called my endocrinologist (experienced Dr for 30 yrs). He ordered Lebatalol (an alphabeta blocker) which calmed things down cause it had the beta blocker element.

My husband experienced the full rebound hypertension etc cause he dropped his beta blocker after being on it about 8 days. It was a rough two wks with his heart pounding etc. He wouldn't even take his b/p. Given that he had just had a heart attack & bypass surgery (4), he was very lucky.

It took my two months to get off Clonidine & I was on the lowest possible dose. Pretty scary with my b/p going up in the 200 range.

Read an article by an ER Doc who said beta blocker withdrawal is one of the main reasons patients present in the 'ER with hypertension.

The best defense is a good offense. Before you agree to take a drug or buy the drug (once I bought an expensive drug & found out I couldn't take it)
    ask for the package insert that comes with the drug. You might have to go to several pharmacies to find one as they routinely throw them away. Don't get overly scared when you read all the awful side effects-that's just the reality of taking any drug. Everybody's body is different in some ways so our
    reaction to drugs takes many different routes.

Don't be surprised if your Dr. brushes off your concerns with a smile . Fam

Old 09-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
    jr2212
    (male)

jr2212 HB User

I had mentioned yesterday that on this thread that I had researched and found a number of sources and research studies relating to the withdrawal from Beta Blockers (specifically atenol, in my case). In reviewing the board rules there are limitations that restrict the meathods by which we share information. After some thought I think the best I can do as far as sharing most of the info that I came upon would be to encourage anyone considering withdrawl from these products to reseach them via the internet before begining withdrawl. There is a wealth of information and warnings regarding rebound hypertension from the withdrawal from Beta Blockers, some of it is conflicting, but at least you'll have what is current prior to taking any action.

In my case such information would have proved very helpful. My doc changed my script. to Lisinopril with zero withdrawal from Atenol, I had an immediate reaction to Lisinopril and after two days without meds (which my BP stayed mid 130s over mid to low 80s) I went on Avapro. Just before I received my Avapro I checked my BP, it had jumped to 168/107 with high heart rate and stayed in that range for for five days before it gradually began tapering off along with my heart beat. After nine days since my withdrawl from Atenol with the last five on Avapro I still find myself with BPs ranging from 145/89 to 150/100 with a heart beat range from 78 to 87 (heart rate topped out on day 6 at 97).

I now have taken some comfort by reviewing articals and studies which showed people and research study participants with similar reactions after sudden withdrawal from Atenol which subsided after a couple of weeks or less in some cases (have to remember were all different). As a matter of fact my heart rate has been nearly identical to the particapants in a study published by the British Heart Journal on atenol withdrawal.

In summary, I would implore anyone considering withdrawal to reasearch it and discuss proper means of withdrawal with their physican before beginning (most sources reccomend a two week withdrawal of reduced dosages). I have suffered an untold amount of anxiety over the last week not understanding what was happening to me! Two weeks ago my BP (on 50mg of Atenol) was 110/72 with a heart rate of 60 and I was only mildly hypertensive 1 1/2 yrs. ago when I started meds. I guarantee that if you wake up one morning and you've gone from 110/72 to 168/107 with a heart rate of nearly 100 it will get you're attention - and not in a pleasent way either! Which is what happened to me!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for sharing that. There are many other medications that, like the beta blockers, have to be discontinued gradually. Within the antihypertensive drug classes, calcium channel blockers are potentially very dangerous if stopped abruptly. One gets not only the tachycardia and irregular, erratic heart beat, but also angina pains, which can lead to a heart attack. I stopped taking mine suddenly and suffered the consequences. I think someone should educate our doctors in these matters. My GP does not seem to have a clue. Doing one's research before starting or stopping ANY drug is absolutely essential. I don't follow this doctor's orders, unless I have checked first. (I have complete trust in my other doctors.) I am glad you got over the withdrawal symptoms. I agree that there's much information available on this and other subjects. One should always get information from a reliable and unbiased source.

flowergirl

Closed Thread