It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Others input on Atenolol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
    S&JALWAYS
    (female)

S&JALWAYS HB User
    Others input on Atenolol

How does atenolol affect others?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
    jr2212
    (male)

jr2212 HB User
    Re: Others input on Atenolol

Took 50mg for 1 1/2 yrs. - had a terrible time withdrawing "cold turkey from it. When I was on it I was tired a lot, went from having an active sex life to no sex life, if I'd have a couple of cocktails I'd feel terrible the next day!

Really didn't realize how bad that stuff made me feel until I got off it!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
    tawyna
    (female)

tawyna HB User

hi,
    i hated atenolol. it made me feel weird, kinda depressed. i had always took toprol i was switched due to insurance. i went back to my dr and was put back on toprol .

my boyfriend was on atenolol . he was switched to toprol to. it made him feel weak all the time.

my aunt takes atenolol. she likes it. she has took it for years.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 AM   #4
    huckfinn
    (male)

huckfinn HB User

I took it for 7 years and it caused drug induced Lupus that I am getting over. I was always fatigued and it did impact my sex life, like all beta blockers do I believe.

It also can cause exercise intolerance, I think that I have read and experienced that. It does for sure limit your heart rate during an aerobic workout.

I do believe it has helped to keep me alive after a heart attack and light stroke, four years ago. Like a famous cardiologist says "with each pill there comes a little poison", or something like that.

I am now taking 10 mgs per day of Coreg CR. This is my 11th day. I feel much better but I am still very weak. I do get stronger day by day

Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Huck re: DIL

Hi Huck,

I wrote a post to you the other day about DIL but somehow it disappeared. Anyhow, I too experienced DIL only mine was from Cozaar. I was only on it for 13 days.

I can't believe you stayed on the drug for 2 yrs ? I now have permanent damage to my knees, hands, but my blood count finally came back up after 2 yrs.

So what was your experience like?

A number of b/p meds are capable of causing that type of reaction.

The bottom line in my case is my first symptoms were dismissed by my Drs. So I finally had to stop the drug after making sure it was okay to stop it suddenly. Then I walked in her office & told her I wasn't taking the drug anymore.

Fam

Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

I'm taking Atenolol for the last 23 days. I had a nightmare one night where I thought my late father was trying to kill me. The drug is so potent that I now split my pill by taking 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the afternoon. I couldn't handle the full 50mg in one dosage. It made me feel spaced and very surreal. ATM, I'm experiencing tiredness. I also experienced nervousness, paranoia, confusion and forgetfulness. I'm sure there's more to come.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
    korunner
    (male)

korunner HB User

I hated it!! I took it for just about a week. It made me very tired and lethargic. I was unable to workout or run(a killer for me). I'm on my feet alot for work and I had a real hard time getting through the day because I was so tired. When I stopped taking it, I felt better within a few days. I will never take it again.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by korunner View Post
    I hated it!! I took it for just about a week. It made me very tired and lethargic. I was unable to workout or run(a killer for me). I'm on my feet alot for work and I had a real hard time getting through the day because I was so tired. When I stopped taking it, I felt better within a few days. I will never take it again.
    I relate to you Korunner, but what do you do to treat your problem.

Last edited by marantz1935; 10-13-2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: I'm a perfectionist.

Closed Thread