It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Systolic and Diastolic

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
    Systolic and Diastolic

My resting Blood Pressure usually runs about 140/65 or 135/69. I am 65 and never had trouble with high blood pressure until I got hashimoto thyroiditism (hypo). I take 180 mg Diovan. What concerns me is the low diastolic. Is this bad?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: Systolic and Diastolic

Hi Shmily,

Your diastolic is well within the normal range. Prescription drugs are a frequent cause of low blood pressure. Antihypertensives and some heart medications (beta blockers) and other drugs can cause the blood pressure to become too low. Of course, there are other causes of hypotension.
    Doctors are not too concerned about low pressure, as long as it does not cause symptoms. You should be concerned if you start feeling faint, dizzy, confused, or get blackouts. Low blood pressure is not a disease. It's usually a symptom of another condition.
    Readings lower than 90/60 are considered as the lower range blood pressure and should be looked into. If either of the numbers (for instance, the systolic) is within a normal range, your reading is still considered lower than normal, even if the second (diastolic) number is less than 60, and vice versa.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-08-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: correction

Old 10-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
    Hux
    (male)

Hux HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Hi Shmily,

If either of the numbers (for instance, the systolic) is within a normal range, your reading is still considered normal, even if the second (diastolic) number is less than 60, and vice versa.

flowergirl
    Flowergirl,

Have I misunderstood this?

My DIA has always been within the normal ranges (60-80) and I've only ever had a problem with the SYS. Does this mean a BP reading of, say, 150-65 is considered "normal?"

Thanks,
    Neil

Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    Have I misunderstood this?

My DIA has always been within the normal ranges (60-80) and I've only ever had a problem with the SYS. Does this mean a BP reading of, say, 150-65 is considered "normal?"
    No, you are right, of course. It should have read:
    If either of the numbers is within a normal range, the reading is still considered LOWER than normal.....

sorry about the omission. I was expecting a phone call & rushing. I am editing my post to include this omission. Thank you for catching it!

flowergirl

Old 10-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

What I was really concerned about was the big difference between the systolic and diastolic. Is this not good? Like 145/70, 137/68, or 130/70. My pulse rate is usually in the 60's. I do have hashimoto hypothyroidism. Was wondering if that is my problem.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

not too sure whether your hyperthyroidism has anything to do with your blood pressure being the way it is.

In most young people with high blood pressure, both systolic and diastolic readings are high.
    A lot of older people with high blood pressure have a high systolic (140 or more), with normal or LOW diastolic blood pressure. This is called an isolated systolic hypertension. Look it up.

flowergirl

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
    SHMILY
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks, Flowergirl

Closed Thread