It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Newbie to Atenolol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User
    Re: Newbie to Atenolol

Hi again,

I have one question for those with HBP and that is: Is it normal to be anxious when your pressure is up? I know you can be anxious with medication, but I was just wondering is it normal to feel panic otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Anxiety can evolve into a panic attack. As you know, anxiety is a side effect of this medication. Beta blockers also cause sleeping disorders, such as insomnia, nightmares and hallucinations, some of which you mention in your post. What you are experiencing are most likely the side effects of your medication.

To answer your question: anxiety episodes will cause big spikes in your blood pressure. These spikes are only temporary. However, frequent spikes in blood pressure can cause just as much damage to blood vessels and organs as chronic hypertension. That is why stress reduction, relaxation and breathing exercises are so frequently recommended by our doctors. Anxiety and stress are related and have negative effects on our health.
    The stress management councellor at the hospital told me that she manages her stress by hiring a cleaning lady two days a week. This leaves her days off strictly for personal enjoyment. Unfortunately, this is not an option for some of us. She had a couple of other suggestions, which I find very helpful and use frequently. Do things for yourself that make you happy. Little things. Big things. It does not matter. When you start feeling angry over something trivial, ask yourself how important it really is in the great scheme of things.
    You'll find yourself getting worked up over something that will not matter a week, a month, a year from now.

It sure works for me!
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-12-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Dear FG,

Thanks for you quick response.

I see from your previous posts you are very helpful to a lot a people.

What I meant is this: Does having HBP itself (without meds), make a person become anxious. I'm referring here to the adrenalin increase in the body. In other words, panic attacks without a reason. Does that make sense?

Another thing, I seem to feel unwell and in a low mood all the time. In my case, I am convinced my HBP is connected to my original complaint urinating. My GP did a urine sample, which was clear, but I'm still having 'flow' problems. He never referred me for a scan to see was there any partial obstruction.

About two days ago, I felt for the second time in months, a great relief after peeing properly. I actually started feeling OK as I came back down the stairs! That's how noticeable it was for me.

My palpitations stopped, my low mood lifted, my appetite came back, and I felt my old good humoured self again. It lasted till the following day. I even asked God to make it last.

I don't mind having to live with HBP, but if it has a secondary cause, then I'd like it sorted.

I'm considering changing my GP at this stage.

Finally, I meditate every morning for twenty minutes (Buddhist mindfulness breathing), and it works wonders. I would recommend to anyone, HBP or not. [removed]

Thanks for allowing me to sound-off.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-13-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 10-13-2007, 10:13 AM   #19
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
    Please read and follow the posting rules.
    Please share information in your own words. Please do not instruct members to do online searches to find information or websites.
    Apologies...I thought I was being helpful.

Last edited by marantz1935; 10-13-2007 at 10:19 AM.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Marantz,

Quote:
    What I meant is this: Does having HBP itself (without meds), make a person become anxious. I'm referring here to the adrenalin increase in the body. In other words, panic attacks without a reason. Does that make sense?
    Most of us feel a degree of anxiety over our blood pressure readings. That is, we worry and stress about having high blood pressure. When we feel overly anxious,threatened, or frightened, our adrenal glands release epinephrine and norepinephrine hormones. These natural hormones stimulate the heart to beat faster and with more force. As a result of that, a majority of the small blood vessels constrict and some dilate, depending on their location. The kidneys react rightaway by decreasing their excretion of sodium and water. This will cause an instant increase in blood pressure. These surges in blood pressure are transient.

Quote:
    I don't mind having to live with HBP, but if it has a secondary cause, then I'd like it sorted.
    When you feel unwell, your body is sending you a message that something is wrong. Your doctor should have ordered diagnostic tests for you. I am very surprised he didn't. You need to see a urologist, perhaps even a nephrologist if there's an obstruction and backflow of urine to the kidneys. You need a CT scan of your abdomen and the kidneys. Fam had some excellent suggestions in the previous post regarding your urinary problems. A lot of people suffer from this affliction. Please get a different doctor who will actually try to help you.
    Meditation is an important part of relaxation exercises, which also include a certain type of breathing. I am glad you have been doing this. Please keep it up. It may be helping you more than you'll ever know. My girlfriend does yoga, meditation & deep breathing on daily basis. It helps her deal with her recently diagnosed diabetes. I could never get the breathing quite right. I had severe breathing issues then. Perhaps it's time for me to look into it again.

This board is great for sounding off. We all need to vent once in while. I hope that with the help of a good doctor you'll get to the bottom of this. The sooner, the better. Good luck!

flowergirl

Old 10-14-2007, 12:49 AM   #21
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Thanks FG,

I am generally anxious ATM, but this feeling of fear in my body I think has to do with me not feeling myself and feeling unwell. I lived with anxiety for a log time a number of years ago, and overcame it, so I kinda know regular anxiety against this feeling of someone injecting adrenelan into my viens, for that's what it feels like. In any event, you are probably right, and I may be experiencing a new kind of terror. I have been under a lot of stress for a good number of months, and maybe it caught up with me.

I had blood and urine tests done, and all came back negative. That's all that was done. My doctor just asked me was there anyone in the family with HBP and I said my mum. Then he prescribed atenolol. No scans or anything. Like I mentioned earlier, when I pee, it feels like it is on half force, and then other times a bit better. I just know myself it feels different. I have an appointment on Wednesday, so I'll bring it up then.

I'm sorry to hear about your girlfriends recent diagnosis of diabetes.

I'll keeping reading the posts.

Thanks.

Last edited by marantz1935; 10-14-2007 at 01:07 AM.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #22
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Good luck to you, Marantz. Be persistent. Your health is not something to be taken lightly.

FG

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #23
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

I just want to post the way I'm feeling after 29 days on atenolol, as I off to my GP for a check-up tomorrow.

Today I am very anxious for no apparent reason, except to say, that I break my pill in two in the morning, and I think the first half is wearing off. I also feel fairly confused and very out of sorts. I've just taken the second half a few minutes ago, so I'll wait and see does it improve things.

Does ones anxiety rise when their meds wear off, or is it just me? And, does anxiety and HBP go hand in hand? I am a naturally anxious person, but before my rise in BP recently I felt more or less anxiety free. I haven't felt this fear-ridden in years. My GP did say that it was a bit 'chicken and egg' though. I've gone from enjoying time alone at home to being afraid of being left on my own. Does anyone else feel like this?

I don't have a monitor, but my BP feels low and my palpitations are getting less and less. That's the good news at least.

Thanks for reading.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #24
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi, and hope all is well with everyone.

Went to the doctor yesterday. We had a good chat and I felt he was ready to listen to me and any suggestions I might have.

Long story short, I basically asked him could I get a kidney scan as I felt there was a physical cause to my recent increase in BP. He said if that would make me happy he'd oblidge, assuring me once again that my kidneys were fine - test wise. He then asked did I want to come off my 50mg of atenolol for a while to see am I just over-anxious and fixated on my health. I am now doing that, and I must say I don't feel half as anxious as yesterday. I could well be back on the meds in the future, but at least now I can try lifestyle and diet changes.

He jokingly said he should never have let me bring home the BP monitor in the first place, as it just made my anxiety worse.

To my suprise, I can come off the 50mg atenolol a day cold turkey.

Anxiety can have a very negative effect on your mind and body.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #25
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the update!

Your doctor sounds OK. Have the scan to make sure your kidneys are OK. Some disorders do not alter the labwork (creatinine or BUN levels might remain unchanged even with worsened kidney function). On the other hand, some medications alter the blood, serum and urine levels of different compounds, to the extent that they indicate the presence of kidney disease when in fact there is none.
    I am a little surprised your doctor is letting you stop Atenolol cold turkey. Perhaps he feels you don't need to go through a gradual withdrawal because of the short duration of your use of this medication. Please be careful and watch for withdrawal symptoms. If you start feeling unwell, give him a call. It will be interesting to see how your blood pressure will react without any medications. If your problems with urination continue, ask for a referral to a urologist. Wouldn't it be nice to have a normal blood pressure without any medication?

flowergirl

Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #26
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Thanks FG,

Ya, it will be interesting to see how my BP levels will pan out. I am under a lot of anxiety about my health for the last two months and that has had to have a negative effect on my health, to the point of obsession.

BTW, my initial BP test done by my nurse was 130/96. That was the day I was sent home with the monitor. I also told my GP that I don't think I was using the machine properly in the first place at home. I know it's the 96 that I have to watch. Again, I was fearful that particular day over my problems urinating.

My GP told me from the urine tests that everything was one hundred percent normal, and my kidneys were doing what they were supposed to do.

On the subject of withdrawl, I woke up with chest pains this morning. There gone now.

I'll keep posting how things are going.

Thanks.

Last edited by marantz1935; 10-19-2007 at 05:48 AM.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #27
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi again folks,

I was on a English based website today run by five doctors, and they said that they only prescribe treatment for hypertension for people with consistent readings of 160/100. Can this be true?

Last edited by moderator2; 10-22-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #28
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marantz,

I came across a doctor's comment when reading hypertension questions & answers (answered by physicians). This one fellow (an M.D.) says he does not like to prescribe any antihypertensive medications. He will do so only if absolutely necessary, and only when/if the blood pressure is near the 160 mark, IF the patient has no known cardiovascular risks. Of course, the presence of multiple cardiovascular risks in a person with high blood pressure necessitates an immediate blood pressure reduction, which can only be achieved with the use of antihypertensives.

Many factors should be considered before the physician makes the decision to prescribe medication for lowering blood pressure. Ideally, all doctors should be following the hypertension treatment guidelines.
    Unfortunately, some doctors overmedicate. Blood pressure that is only slightly elevated does not warrant the use of any blood pressure medication. Yet some doctors prescribe it anyway, without giving the patient a chance to reduce the blood pressure naturally. The tresholds for treatment with medication are set out in the guidelines.

flowergirl

Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 AM   #29
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Thanks for those comments FG.

I know from reading material across the internet that there seems to be an aggressive stance on even slight elevation of BP for anyone. I found the information I posted previously calm and reassuring.

And yes FG, every patient (without heart complications) should be given a chance to reduce their BP naturally.

Out of all the stuff I've read on line, I thought it to be the most intillegant of the lot. And at least the opinions posted was straight from the horses mouth.

Regards.

Last edited by marantz1935; 10-23-2007 at 01:51 AM.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #30
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi folks,

I hope all is well with everyone.

I thought I might give a little update on where I am at the moment.

I'm off Atenolol now for 13 days (following doctors suggestion), after being put on them for 30 days following a reading in my GP's office of 130/96.

My initial complaint of feeling unwell and 'out-of sorts' following a suspected UTI still remains the same. I'm still waiting to get a ultrascan.

My palpitations are not as bad as they were, but I'm still not completely free of them, like I use to be, prior to all of this. I can feel a heaviness or tightness in my chest at times, but I'm not out of breath or dizzy or the likes. I notice as well the palpitations make me very anxious and a little sick in the stomach. Without fail, they are there to greet me first thing in the morning. Funny thing, I didn't have palpitations before going to the doctor, now I can't get rid of them. Jokingly, the doctor said he was sorry he sent me home with the BP monitor.

My mood is still low (I put it down to feeling unwell), and my 'personality' seems to have changed. I don't seem to have the zest I had up to recently. In a way, I feel I've aged some. All I want to do is go into hospital and have them do every test conceivable to find out what the hell is making me feel this way.

I week ago I woke up with sweat behind my neck and all down my right side of my body. My clothes were damp! This has happened twice so far. I have an appointment on Monday, so I'll mention it then. I'm putting it down to stress.

To end on a positive note, I walk for an hour a day, seven times a week by the local beach. It is powerful for reducing the pounding heart and making me feel less stressed. I also still meditate (mindful breathing), for 20 minutes a day, and this too is most beneficial.

That's it for now.

I wish everyone the best.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 11-01-2007 at 10:23 AM.

Closed Thread