It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• What are the risk of stopping HBP medicine? Is it true Im gonna die?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
    perfectlove3952
    (female)

perfectlove3952 HB User
    What are the risk of stopping HBP medicine? Is it true Im gonna die?

What are the risk of stopping HBP medicine? Is it true Im gonna die?My doctor cannot control my blood pressure and keep on giving me another medication that put me on the ER. I asked my doctor if I can stop taking my medication and she says I might die and have a heart attack. The problem is, everytime they add more drug or medication I end up on the ER and having cardiac infraction. Year 2005 he gave me CardiZem and I got Cardiac infraction and end up on the ER and a while ago he gave me indapamide and almost get me a heart attack and I lost all my potassium in my body.

I been taking atenolol 100mg, lisinopryl 40 mg for 5 years and I am Ok untill they keep on giving me more medication to control my my BP and now my doctor wants me to take norvasc as they cannot control my HBP, but I am already depressing taking all this medicine plus prilosec for my acid problem. Everyday I have headache, abdominal ache, and always have chest discomfort.
    Is there an HBP that anyone taking with no side effect and will lower my HBP?
    I am 55 years old and I am 150 lbs. Asian and a woman.

Thanks
    Perfectlove

Last edited by perfectlove3952; 10-25-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: add some more information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2007, 12:33 AM   #2
    perfectlove3952
    (female)

perfectlove3952 HB User
    Re: What are the risk of stopping HBP medicine? Is it true Im gonna die?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by perfectlove3952 View Post
    What are the risk of stopping HBP medicine? Is it true Im gonna die?My doctor cannot control my blood pressure and keep on giving me another medication that put me on the ER. I asked my doctor if I can stop taking my medication and she says I might die and have a heart attack. The problem is, everytime they add more drug or medication I end up on the ER and having cardiac infraction. Year 2005 he gave me CardiZem and I got Cardiac infraction and end up on the ER and a while ago he gave me indapamide and almost get me a heart attack and I lost all my potassium in my body.

I been taking atenolol 100mg, lisinopryl 40 mg for 5 years and I am Ok untill they keep on giving me more medication to control my my BP and now my doctor wants me to take norvasc as they cannot control my HBP, but I am already depressing taking all this medicine plus prilosec for my acid problem. Everyday I have headache, abdominal ache, and always have chest discomfort.
    Is there an HBP that anyone taking with no side effect and will lower my HBP?
    I am 55 years old and I am 150 lbs. Asian and a woman.

Thanks
    Perfectlove
    need some help here

Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
    midi77
    (male)

midi77 HB User

I am sorry you are having such problems, unfortunately, most HBP medicines have side effects, some worse than others, how high are your readings? Do you take you blood pressure at home away from the doctors? What other health conditions do you have?

Last edited by midi77; 10-25-2007 at 07:41 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

High perfect love,

I am on the same type of medication (and more) as you. I also take Nexium, which is in the same category of meds as your Prilosec. You won't die, though you medication can leave you feeling very ill and almost wishing you did. It can get really bad but the good news is things will get better through time. You might be having a tough time with your side effects right now. The more medication you are on, the worse the side effects. They can totally disable you. Some medications, including antihypertensives, when combined with certain others, result in a much stronger effect than intended by the physicians prescribing them and thus make any existing side effects worse. You might be on a 20mg dose, which can affect your body as if you took triple the amount. Your body gradually adjusts to all these chemical invasions and the side effects lessen. Some may persist. Hang in there. It may take months but you will get better. With the side effects we experience, most of us find it difficult to believe that the medication is actually keeping us from getting sick, or slowing the progression of our illnesses. Instead, we feel the medication is the cause of all our problems.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-25-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
    perfectlove3952
    (female)

perfectlove3952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midi77 View Post
    I am sorry you are having such problems, unfortunately, most HBP medicines have side effects, some worse than others, how high are your readings? Do you take you blood pressure at home away from the doctors? What other health conditions do you have?
    ======================================== ======
    After taking indapamide last Sept 25 -07 my HBP goes down to 90-60-46 and when they took my blood my potassium get low and so they gave me medicine to have more potassium in my blood. Doctor told me to stop indapamide asap. But since then my chest had some discomfort and i cough dry always. As of now I have indigestion, chest discomfort and when i move so fast, my heart beat so fast and my pulse always go up to 115. This is the first time it happens. I have headache always too right now. I am now trying to cut half of my medicine and see what will happen to me and stop the norvasc, do you think this is a good idea to cut all my medicine in half.

half of atenolol 100 to 50
    half of lisinopryl 40 to 20
    half of norvasc 5mg to 2.5 mg.

my sister told me to stop all of it and see what will happen.

Help i am getting more depress.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
    perfectlove3952
    (female)

perfectlove3952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    High perfect love,

I am on the same type of medication (and more) as you. I also take Nexium, which is in the same category of meds as your Prilosec. You won't die, though you medication can leave you feeling very ill and almost wishing you did. It can get really bad but the good news is things will get better through time. You might be having a tough time with your side effects right now. The more medication you are on, the worse the side effects. They can totally disable you. Some medications, including antihypertensives, when combined with certain others, result in a much stronger effect than intended by the physicians prescribing them and thus make any existing side effects worse. You might be on a 20mg dose, which can affect your body as if you took triple the amount. Your body gradually adjusts to all these chemical invasions and the side effects lessen. Some may persist. Hang in there. It may take months but you will get better. With the side effects we experience, most of us find it difficult to believe that the medication is actually keeping us from getting sick, or slowing the progression of our illnesses. Instead, we feel the medication is the cause of all our problems.

flowergirl

======================================== =======
    I am getting afraid now that I will get heart attack and stroke because of the medication that the doctor made me worse. I just had all the test stress test and tradmill test and the doctor told me i am ok and my kidnesy is ok but I am now getting worried after the side effect of all this medication to me. Sometimes I been wondering if the medication that gave me cardiac infraciton is the one that make me worse after taking the medication. I am ok with atenolol and lisinopryl before but after this heart doctor gave me cardizem and indapamide i have cardiac infraction. and he make me stop taking it after the attack. as soon as i stop taking the cardizem and having the heart attack he do the angioplasty and see if my heart got some problem and he said it is ok and no damage. Do you think i need another heart doctor?

Perfectlove

Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Pefect love,

Did your myocardial infarction result from your hypertension? Is your heart muscle damaged from ischemic disease? If you had angioplasty, you had clogged arteries. The medication you were on at the time most likely did not cause your heart attack. I would highly recommend the use of an ACE inhibitor, Ramipril. It will help you prevent another cardiovascular event (and also lower your blood pressure). Ask your doctor if he could switch you to an ACE inhibitor.
    I just noticed your other post and realized you are on Lisinopril already. Good. You need to be. Do not cut back on your meds, unless your symptoms improve and your doctor tells you to. I have some potassium issues also. They are not your biggest concern right now. It sounds like you need to remain on a beta blocker. You need to bring that heart rate down. You can change doctors, but be aware that, unfortunately, you will have to remain on medication.
    Please do NOT listen to your sister! Do not stop taking your medication under any circumstances. Some discomfort, compared to what could happen without the meds, is a small price to pay!

I will be thinking of you. Good luck, Perfect Love! It helps to talk about how you feel. You can do it here. We all do. It helps us stay sane.

PS I forgot to mention that the medication can affect our hearts and cause certain irregularities. It can cause an increase/decrease in the heart rate. It can cause palpitations or even chest pain. I had similar fears when changing or adding meds or when some other medication related problems arose. I still do. Discuss your concerns with your doctor. He should be aware of them. Have faith.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 10-25-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: PS

Closed Thread