It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• high blood pressure semi cold weather

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
    kg21678
    (male)

kg21678 HB User
    high blood pressure semi cold weather

This was also posted in the anxiety forum wasnt sure which board this fit, Hi everyone well the other day was very very cold, and as i was shivering in the cold with a semi thin jacket, i was so cold I was shivering like crazy and i felt like i was going to have a heart attack or something, i had problems catching my breath, there seemed to be a tightness in my chest and this seems to happen in cold weather when i am not bundled up too much (temps were 30 degrees), when i warmed up a felt much much better but it took about 15 min. It seems this has happened since i was about 21, when i had mono i have never been the same when it comes to the cold. Also i have slightly high blood pressure that ranges from 129/140-68/80. I know its not severely high but high for my age nonetheless. Any insight would be very appreciated, and by the way I take 5mg norvasc, 5mg paxil not sure if this would contribute to that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: high blood pressure semi cold weather

I have the opposite problem, I am always too hot even in 30 degree weather!!! Neither are much fun.

First, cold temps constrict blood vessels so you have to be vigilent about always taking warm clothing with you. I found when we lived in Fargo, ND with minus temps that a thick wool sweater with a LL Bean windbreaker was the best at keeping the cold out cause it is a light weight combination. Remember to wear a hat. One loses most of one's heat from one's head.

Also, always keep a hot drink handy. Just plain water heated to almost boiling & put in a mug will keep your hands & body warm while you are outside or inside for that matter. You can sip it for 1-2 hrs while you go about your day. I would use filtered water (a Brite filler is great) rather than hot tap water because of the possibility of contaminents in the water tank.

Then you have to make sure your thyroid is working properly by getting your blood tested. Perhaps your Dr. has already done that.
    Don't overlook your blood hemoglobin level too which will make you feel cold if it is low. Some b/p meds can decrease those levels too. That happened to me with Cozaar but you would most likely have fatigue too. Fam

Closed Thread