It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Does anyone have a clue what'd going on with bP?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-17-2007, 08:29 PM   #1
    sadsally
    (female)

sadsally HB User
    Does anyone have a clue what'd going on with bP?

I sure home some one can relate. During last two weeks on March my legs and feet became swollen and I was having extreme fatigue and exhaustion. My Doctor said I believe your med are making you sick ( tiazac, avalide) but did not take me off them. About a week later I thought I was having a heart attack because I felt like I just had to sit down and was breathing heavily and felt like my heart was in distress (no pain but distress). Took two asprian on way to emeregency room. Was given more asprain and told I did not have heart attack but should rest and see heart doctor. Heart doctor said I belive your meds are making you sick and took me off all but 1/2 dose of avalide. Over time I felt better. My primary doctor knows this and just recently put me on same dose as originally of avalide and cardizem. Blood pressure which was under control in pass for years. Has been all over the place since meds changed in March. Went to gyn and reading was 140/86 ten minutes later 115/50. Nurse was shocked! Since then went to two different fire station. Pressure started out 120/70 and 3 hours later 130/77 and 3 minutes yes you read correcly was 111/50.
    Primary doc knows I am all over the place but seems unconcerned. Said if pressure is under 120/80 don't take meds. It changes from minutes to minutes so I can't really go by that. Can anyone relate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Does anyone have a clue what'd going on with bP?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sadsally View Post
    My primary doctor knows this and just recently put me on same dose as originally of avalide and cardizem. Blood pressure which was under control in pass for years. Has been all over the place since meds changed in March. Went to gyn and reading was 140/86 ten minutes later 115/50. Nurse was shocked! Since then went to two different fire station. Pressure started out 120/70 and 3 hours later 130/77 and 3 minutes yes you read correcly was 111/50.
    Primary doc knows I am all over the place but seems unconcerned. Said if pressure is under 120/80 don't take meds. It changes from minutes to minutes so I can't really go by that. Can anyone relate.
    Normal blood pressure fluctuates minute by minute...that's why there's a criteria for taking it so you can compare pressures "apples to apples" so to speak. You need to wait 30 after excercising (the gym, grin) to take your pressures...so it is not surprising that your pressures dropped from 140/86 and went to 115/50 (the 115/50 may be too low, especially if you have symptoms of weakness, lightheadedness, etc). Even if you haven't exercised, you should sit/relax for 15 minutes before taking your pressures... when you went to the fire stations did you zip in/zip out without winding down for 15 minutes before the readings were taken? If so, that would explain the drop...but again, your readings are very low and to me that would be a concern...any dehydration or iron deficiency and you could put yourself in danger of passing out or otherwise hurting yourself.

The 120/80 reading is "ideal" but is only a resting pressure but depending on other health conditons it might be lower/higher. It sounds like you are well under that in resting conditions so I would really question your needs for meds, especially given your doctor's comment about not needing them if your are under 120/80.

Bethsheba

Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 PM   #3
    sadsally
    (female)

sadsally HB User

Thanks for your reply. I will wait as you say. I am just a little confused because when my primary doctor did check my pressure she checked lying down, standing, as well as sitting and was concerned that it was different in all cases. She said the meds were making me sick. The heart doctor said exactly the same words, "I think your meds are making you sick". I have read that some blood pressure meds can cause av heart blocks. So I am scared. Doctor seems unconcerned. Even with the meds I am looking at my hands and seeing a bubble of fluid on the back of both my hands. My legs/feet are puffy and swollen. I can see a big swelling of fluid on the top of both feet. My kidneys were checked and are well within normal limits. Heart doctor says heart is ok. I have had extensive test of heart. I think I will just take avalide and forget the cardizem. I was wondering if cardizem is dangerous

Thanks in advance for any comments

Old 12-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Sally,

I have been on a calcium channel blocker for some time. I am not happy about it. Why do your doctors insist that you take it? There are other very effective blood pressure medications that do not adversely affect the conductive system of the heart and have less unpleasant side effects in general.
    Unfortuantelly, the swellings are just one side effect of calcium channel blockers. They can get much worse than what you are experiencing. You should ask your doctor to change your medication, unless the calcium channel blockers are indicated. By the way, most medications have side effects. Some are not as bad as others.

Good luck,
    flowergirl

Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
    sadsally
    (female)

sadsally HB User

jlawman2

Thank you so much for your response. I am watching my salt intke and trying to eat more veggies beans and fruit. I am afraid to do much excercising right now being breathless a lot. I used to walk twice a day. Then I had laser gallbladder surgery and 3 days later for the first time in my life I developed the symptoms of Tourettes and have been on all kinds of meds which none I might add were effective. It got so bad what with the body movements and the screaming I stopped walking and have been going thru a bad depression so my exercise has been in spurts at best. Hard to walk around in the neighborhood screaming and jerking so I bought some exercise tapes but have not been regular using them like I should. So thanks for the reminder about the salt and oily foods. I realize I am going to have to take matters in my own hands as far as what I can do. I am just afraid of the meds. I notice that my doctor's office used to be wall to wall patients all the time now I see there are at the most 3-4 patients when I come but there are all manner of drug reps there every time I come. I hope I am not the victim of an experiment

Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
    sadsally
    (female)

sadsally HB User

flowergirl2day

I appreciate very much what you said. I am so worried and confused I am not thinking straight. I do not know why my primary doctor insist on my taking the meds. The heart doctor told e to stop taking the Cardizem and just take the avalide. But when I went back to the primary doctor and told her what the heart doctor said she but me back on the cardizem and the avalide. I don't know if it is because she does not like that the heart doctor took me off of it or not. I will insist that she do something about these side effects. I know all meds have side effects but I thought if they bother you the docs would change them. I'm feeling too bad to have sense enough to even ask that she change the meds I realize that now.But the fact that I have been complaining since the spring should have given her a clue.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Sally,

I am sorry you are not feeling well.
    the doctors cannot do anything about the side effects of our medications. The only way to get relief is to stop taking the medication that causes them.
    Perhaps your doctor believes you need to take the calcium channel blocker and that it is in your best interest. Doctors sometimes disagree when interpreting the test results and when choosing what they perceive to be the best treatment option. I don't think you are on this medication because your doctors don't like each other. Their motto is: DO NO HARM.
    Please ask your doctor why she thinks you should remain on this medication when your cardiologist does not think you need to. You should not have to put up with the side effects if you find them intolerable. They get worse with warmer weather.

flowergirl

Old 12-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

I got a serious drug induced reaction to Cozaar which sounds similar to your reaction as far as the swelling. My knees are permanently damaged so that I have to wear elastic bandages on them to walk. This of course limits my lifestyle.

If your knees are swollen, ask the Dr. if it is okay to wear elastic bandages & or support hose. The pressure of the fluid may damage your knees as it did mine.

Find a small soft ball to exercise your hands to maintain function. The ball should be easy to squeeze. Putting your hands in warm water should help before doing the exercises.

You must get rid of the swelling somehow. Fam

Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fam,

Quote:
    The pressure of the fluid may damage your knees as it did mine.
    What do you mean by saying it was the fluid (not the drug) that damaged your knees? This worries me. Can an edema cause damage? Some of the fluids remain in the tissue without being re-absorbed. (my personal observation). You can see bumps that remain. My right knee feels like there's too much liquid in there which shifts and gets re-distributed with each step. Strangely, it acts up only in the evenings.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-22-2007 at 06:45 PM.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
    sadsally
    (female)

sadsally HB User

Hi Everyone

I just did some research on the two drugs I am taking, avalide and cardizem. According to my research both of these are calcium chanel blockers. The heart doctor said that "you past all your test there is not much wrong with your heart" The meds are for high blood pressure only. Could I possibly need two calcium chanel blockers? The highest my pressure has been is 150/95 and that only occasionaly. Usually it is 140/85 or 130/70. I would ask my doctor tomorrow but her office is closed for the next 3 days. Will ask as soon as I can reach her. Sometimes when I leave a message she won't contact me until the next week.I've been with this doctor since 1990 and do not want to break in another doctor but I'm beginning to wonder if she wants me to leave. I do not contact her unless it is absolutely necessary.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

FG,

My info is only from reading quality medical magazines etc. Cozaar damaged my knees directly from what I understand. Plus I recently found out that the pressure from the swelling probably damaged the ligaments which is one of my major problems. I have that great book by an orthopedic surgeon which has educated me considerably. The knee exercises really help with the ligament issue. Fam

Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #12
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sally,

You do not need TWO types of calcium channel blockers. Please be very careful. I think your doctor is not aware you are taking them both. CCBs affect the heart muscle directly. They slow down the conduction of electroactivity in your heart. This results in a lower heart rate, often leading to heart blocks. Having to take one calcium channel blocker is bad enough. I have not heard of anyone taking TWO. I am sure it is a mistake. Do not take two different calcium channel blockers. Your blood pressure is not that bad!!! Mine can be really bad and I do not take TWO CCBs! I hope you can discuss this with your doctor. I wonder what she will say. See her ASAP!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 12-23-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Closed Thread