It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Switch from Diovan to Avapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
    AK

AK HB User
    Question Switch from Diovan to Avapro

Hi, I haven't posted in awhile but I am wondering if anyone has experience with Avapro. I have been on 80 mg of Diovan since June of 2002 and my doctor has switched me to 150 mg of Avapro, (cheaper med for my insurance company). I know these 2 drugs are in the same class, but will I be able to tell when I make the change, as far as side effects with the Avapro? Diovan has given me hardly any side effects at all. Also, is there any hope of getting off the meds once you start them? My doctor told me if I can lose some weight and exercise I may be able to quit taking them one of these days? Can your body ever adjust back? Thanks for any information!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
    NMc

NMc HB User
    Hi AK:
    I can't comment on the Avapro (not using it), but from what I've been told (and have gleaned from the internet), once HTN has been diagnosed and all secondary causes have been ruled out, it's with you for life. I've also read that exercising, weight loss, etc. increases your odds of getting off the meds, but I exercise, avoid sodium, and my weight is normal - and the meds are still necessary. Unfortunately, for some of us, BP requires that little extra something the pharmaceutical companies have concocted up in their labs.
    Hope the Avapro has worked out for you.
    Nancy

Old 03-04-2003, 03:14 AM   #3
    zuzu8
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

As you noted, Diovan and Avapro are both anti-hypertensives in the same class. In theory , if you tolerated Diovan well, you should do well, with no new side-effects from Avapro. As for getting off meds some day, it depends on your age, the degree of your HBP, your lifestyle, and genes!
    It is not unknown for some people to be able to quit meds eventually, but it all depends on the above 4 factors I just mentioned.

Closed Thread