It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Diltaizem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
    kfuchsel

kfuchsel HB User
    Post Diltaizem

I switched to Diltiazem xr (Tiazec) I also take hct 25mg. I'm up to 300MG right now and I average 138/85 with some readings of 150/90 which if I wait a little while do drop to 138/85ish. Wondering if anyone else is taking Tiazec and how much as we are getting up there in dosage with little response. I use to be o Lotrel- worked great (120/68) but the cough and difficuty running (cramps) cause me to change. Can someone have resistance to CCBs as I had to same problem of nonresponsiviness with Norvasc. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
    Cathyy

Cathyy HB User
    Re: Diltaizem

Hello,
    I was wondering if Diltiazem has interferred with your sleep. I take altace in the mornings but Diltaizem 120 mg. was recently added. I've had very little sleep since. I have a call in to my cardioligist. Hopefully he'll change it or lower the dose. I'm taking it for my heart.

Old 02-27-2004, 05:50 AM   #3
    Sandra49
    (female)

Sandra49 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfuchsel
    I switched to Diltiazem xr (Tiazec) I also take hct 25mg. I'm up to 300MG right now and I average 138/85 with some readings of 150/90 which if I wait a little while do drop to 138/85ish. Wondering if anyone else is taking Tiazec and how much as we are getting up there in dosage with little response. I use to be o Lotrel- worked great (120/68) but the cough and difficuty running (cramps) cause me to change. Can someone have resistance to CCBs as I had to same problem of nonresponsiviness with Norvasc. Thanks
    I am taking Lotrel, and absolutely love it! My blood pressure is 110/60 and the only thing I had was the cough. Let me tell you what help with my cough. It was NasalCrom. There are some on this board, that think that is just putting another drug on top of another, and that could possibly be harmful. And that is a gamble that I am willing to take, the written on the drug side efects are mild, I have also spoken to my doctor and pharmist and both do not see any potential harm. It is only a nasal spray, and I use it once at night. You can use it as much as 6 times a day. It is 8:45 AM, I have been up since 5:00 AM, and I have coughed once. But I did not get the cramps. How long did you try Lotrel?

Old 02-27-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

kfuchsel,

The diltiazem isn't doing the job, and yes you are near the top of the dosing range.

You either need an addition or a replacement. Have you ever done a trial with JUST a diuretic, HCTZ or chlorthalidone?

Old 02-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #5
    Lardoggy
    (male)

Lardoggy HB User

I've been taking Diltaizem now for about a year (tiazec prior to that) at 360mg and its doing me no good with my latest readings all in the 160/100 range. My Dr. recently indicated he wanted to switch medications but I'm not sure to what just yet. The good news is I've had no side effects what so ever.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:16 AM   #6
    kfuchsel

kfuchsel HB User

I finally got the Doctor to listen. I was having headaches and erection issues, so away went the HCT and a whole host of side effects. He added Benicar to the diltiazem and I qickly dropped the 120/70 sometimes to 116/65 I still believe the only thing the diltiazem is doing is keeping my pulse at 60bpm. I run MUCH better on this combo. knocked out the 3M half marathon in Austin. I've been on benicar now since Dec. and the only side effect I've had is some fatigue and a little back aches. Thanks for the replies, sorry it took so long.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
    lilleth
    Inactive

lilleth HB User

Get off the diltiazem if it is bothering you. I started taking cardizem about 4 years ago, 120 mg. At first it seems ok, controlled bp sort of to about 130/85, although it was never super high, only about 140/90 or 95, and it also controlled some tachycardia I was having. My ankle swelled so I had to add maxide. (I had previously tried Toprol, Cozaar, and one other bp med, but they had all completely knocked me out.) Anyway, over the last year I have felt worse and worse, more and more tired, and my bp has started to go up. So, my doc tried upping it from 120-180 mg. then I started really feeling bad, with headache, stomachache, and total exhaustion. She gave me permission to try stopping it altogether, which I did 3 weeks ago, while staying on Maxide about. Well lo and behold my bp didn't go up, it came down, and while it's not super low, it averages 120/73 in the a.m. and 130/85 in the evening . And I feel like a NEW PERSON. I think cardizem is somewhat toxic. Try diovan or something else recommended on this board.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:43 AM   #8
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

lileth,

Even the FDA has come to it's senses (as much as allowed during this administration) and forced the AMA to recognize that the most cost-effective and just plain EFFECTIVE method of BP control is the proper use of cheap, cheap, cheap diuretics.

(I think my next doctor's visit, I'll get an Rx for triamterene-HCTZ (your Maxide). I've used plain thiazide since the Lincoln administration and maybe the potassium-sparing triamterene could let me unfixate on my dietary potassium.)

Last edited by zip2play; 04-09-2004 at 05:44 AM.

Old 04-09-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

i HATE HCTZ. It causes my skin to dry out and (once upon time when I was 47, people thought I was 35/36) now I am 52 (this yr) I look and feel every bit ot it. Some days I feel 90. With Toprol xl, i couldn't walk more than a few steps. With lisinopril & hctz (zestoric) , itching, aged skin, dry eyes and a whole host of other problems..

Old 04-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #10
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

My main problem with HCTZ is that is SEEMS addicting for me. Whn I stop, I inflate with up to seven pounds of water that not only LOOKS bad but hurts my joints. Several times I've tried to stop and the squishiness has gotten dso intolerable that after about 5 days I fall back on my FIX and pee it all out...

A dismal situation. What I need to try is to stop the HCTZ and at the same time go on an all rice diet (no soy sauce)....yecccch!

Old 04-10-2004, 06:46 AM   #11
    lilleth
    Inactive

lilleth HB User

Well, actually I do take triamterene-HCTZ which I guess is generic of Maxide. I am a lot less puffy just taking this than when I took this plus the Cardizem, although that last post about not being able to stop taking the stuff without swelling up is worrisome. Actually the reason I started the diuretic is that the Cardizem made one ankle swell. At any rate, my bp continues to stay down. Saw doc this week and took my spreadsheet of bp readings, and she was quite happy.

Something else for the ladies to note: my periods started getting intolerable for about 2 days a month about 4 years ago with really awful PMS. I've had pelvic ultrasound, everything is normal, and figured it is perimenopause (I'm 45). I've been trying to get bp really low because gyn and gp said I could take oral contraceptives if I got bp low enough to get periods back under control. About a month ago, I found a cardizem list of side effects on internet that said menstrual changes are a potential side effect. I've got about 10 lists of side effects, and this is the only list where I found this mentioned. Well, my period started today, I sailed through the week before, and so far so good. We'll see if this lasts, but I have about convinced myself the cardizem was affecting my hormones somehow, someway. Go figure.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #12
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

I just called my sister who was doing about a month of Cardizem (diltiazem) (360 or 320 mg)...she just went to the doctor and told her to shove them where the sun don't shine. Her complaints were NO SLEEP, amphetamine(speed)-like fidgiting, chest pain, nervousness, depression, and rage spells.
    (Sounds like my reactions to Norvasc- also a channel blocker).

Anyhoo, she was switched to Calan (Verapamil...anothe CCB) which she likes a lot...but it's only been a week.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:23 PM   #13
    lilleth
    Inactive

lilleth HB User

Wow - I was only taking 120 mg of cardizem last 4 years or so, and I had some of the same reactions as your sister. I didnt' even realize they were from that, i really thought some of it was perimenopausal hormone changes. Wow. I felt really bad when I went up to 180 for 3 days. I don't know how your sis tolerated 360! Wow.

Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
    Dark Fantasy
    (male)

Dark Fantasy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfuchsel

I had every side effect that I had wrote down here and have stopped taking Cardizem LA 240mg on 10/27/05 and now having withdrawals from it... My blood pressure had gone up to 190 / 116, have chills and shakes, rapid heartbeat also. I am taking Clonidine 0.2mg. Taking Lorazepam 2mg as needed for withdrawals.

I have taken Cardizem LA 240mg for the last 4 months and have now stopped taking it on 10-27-05; does anyone know what the withdrawals of this drug are?

I took Cozaar for just about 1 years just stopped taking Cozaar at the same time what withdrawal are there and how long will they latest?

Skip

Closed Thread