It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Pressure in Head - Scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User
    Unhappy Pressure in Head - Scared!

Hi guys. I am a 23 year old female whose been having pressure in the head for several days when I bend over or look up. It feels like a rush of blood to the head like when you stand on your head. It also makes my heart pound for about ten seconds. I do not have low blood pressure. In fact, it is usually pretty low.

I had to go to the ER two years ago because I was getting dizzy and when I stood up my heart beat would get really fast. The doc said when I got up from the table and they checked my heart beat count. It had went up forty beats. It was better when I left. They give me iv fluids.

What can cause this? It has me really worried! I have three little ones that I have to care for. I have not been drinking much water either. My two year old has been really sick with the tummy bug for three days and I've barely had time to think. Can dehydration cause this? Should I be worried?

Thank you for your help, guys.

B143C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User
    Re: Pressure in Head - Scared!

Please anyone?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

What is your blood pressure like?
    You say it isn't low, and you also say it is.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

Sorry about that Flower. I meant to say *I do not have high blood pressure. In fact it is pretty low.*

Thanks for replying.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
    ken10021
    (male)

ken10021 HB User

Have you had any muscle spasms in your neck recently? I slept on air matress for two weeks during family visit and then got high blood pressure with feeling of blood rushing into my head, with flushed face. I read a web site doctor's page that said that if the blood pressure is irregular, with not much difference between the systolic and diastolic pressures, and with the pressure readings varying, it could be a sign of muscle spasm.

Old 01-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

BC143,

Sorry to hear about your problem.

It sounds like symptomatic hypotension. You seem to have quite a few of the symptoms. Some of the symptoms of hypotension include: feeling tired and weak, lightheadedness, fainting, blurred vision, nausea, palpitations (awareness of your heart beat) and even temporary loss of consciousness.
    Normally, the lowest blood pressure occurs when we are sleeping or totally relaxing all of the muscles. When the blood pressure falls low enough to cause the symptoms, there is inadequate blood flow to the brain and other organs. This is what causes the lightheadedness and dizziness.
    Sometimes when people change position too quickly, blood pools in the lower extremities and less of it returns to the heart via the veins. Lower volume results in a lower cardiac output and lower arterial blood pressure. This is exactly what happens to some people when they change position from lying down to sitting up or from sitting up to standing up. I don't know if it is possible for younger people to suffer from postural/orthostatic hypotension. This is a disease affecting mostly older patients.

It sounds as if you've had the tilt-table testing. This would indicate that your doctors might have suspected postural hypotension or a related conditon. Heart palpitations are common with low blood pressure. So is the lightheadedness, caused by a temporary reduction in blood flow (less oxygen) to the brain.
    The factors that can cause or contribute to a decreased blood flow in the body are certain diseases, anemia, medications such as diuretics, vasodilators, antidepressants, illegal and other prescription drugs. An important thing to remember is that people should stay well hydrated. The recommendations are to take deep breaths when feeling dizzy, increasing fluid and salt intake and eating smaller meals. And, of course, first and foremost, following your doctor's advice. The number one thing you should do is to contact your doctor and have an evaluation.

Good luck!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-05-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

Thank you, Flower for the wonderful, easy to understand information. I appreciate it very much! All of that makes a lot of sense. I have not had the tilt table test, but my doctor said we might consider it someday.

I have to go in this month for my checkup so I will definitly have her check this for me when I go.

Thanks for all the info once more and also, thank you to Ken for your advice. God bless you both!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #8
    B143C
    Veteran
    (female)

B143C HB User

I wonder if any of this is dangerous? My doctor once told me that it shouldn't be anything that would harm me, just something I would have to deal with.

Closed Thread