It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Sporadic BP Readings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2003, 06:39 AM   #1
    onnason
    (female)

onnason HB User
    Post Sporadic BP Readings

Hi again. All along, I've had terrific readings of 110-116/70-78 while on 75 mg. Atenolol and 37.5 mg. Triamterene. I took my reading yesterday (a particularly calm, non-stressful day -- I wasn't feeling anxious at all), and I got readings of 140/90-95! I was able to get it lower (130/85) by sitting still for 5 minutes and deep breathing, but the numbers scared me. This morning, I'm back at 130/90 and can get it to 120/84 if I breathe for 5 minutes. I am OCD about my BP, and I take it 2X every day (along with my pulse). Yesterday, I took it mid-afternoon -- something I don't usually do -- could this mean my numbers mid-day are always this high? Can you tell me at what point should I be concerned? Should I be concerned now? Could the Atenolol perhaps not be working anymore? Is this a reason to call my doctor, or should I wait a few days to see how the numbers go?

Can someone educate me as to what is a "dangerous" reading vs. an "elevated BP" problem? Meaning, at what point should I be panicking?

Sorry to sound desperate, but it's time for me to change doctors and I've been putting it off. I don't want to put this off if I'm at a high risk point. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2003, 08:23 AM   #2
    Tick Tock

Tick Tock HB User
    Yours don't sound very high. Here are the current guidelines:
    New Hypertension Guideline Highlights

h Normal = <120/<80 mm Hg

h Prehypertension = 120-139/80-89 mm Hg

h Stage 1 hypertension = 140-159/90-99 mm Hg

h Stage 2 hypertension >160/>100 mm Hg

My BP varies quite a bit. It can vary from time of day and between days. For example, this week so far my highest reading is 171/105 and my low is 123/78. The average of all readings is 146/88. Still high but lower than it has been running.

Hope this info helps you some. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2003, 08:44 AM   #3
    onnason
    (female)

onnason HB User
    Thanks for that information -- how long could someone walk around with Stage 1 hypertension without incident? I guess I'm usually in the pre-hypertension category with the exception of a few recent readings. Are you on BP medication, and you still have readings that average 146/88, and is your doctor o.k. with those numbers? I'm trying to understand what's acceptable, and what's cause for alarm! I would've thought that if you needed medication to control BP, it should be at least at or under the 120/80 mark. Thanks so much for responding.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
    Tick Tock

Tick Tock HB User
    I put the answers to your post below each item below:

Thanks for that information -- how long could someone walk around with Stage 1 hypertension without incident?
    >>THEIR WHOLE LIFE POTENTIALLY. ALL THESE NUMBER ARE GUIDELINES THAT REFLECT THE INCREASED RISK. YOU COULD HAVE BP OF 115/70 AND STILL DEVELOP HEART DISEASE. I WOULDN'T OBSESS OVER IT, BUT BE AWARE OF IT. DISCUSS W/YOUR DR. AND TAKE THE LIFESTYLE (DIET, EXERCISE, ETC.) STEPS TO REMAIN HEALTHY. I WOULDN'T PINE TO BE ON BP MEDS. WITH EVERY MED, THERE'S ALWAYS SOME RISK AND POTENTIAL UNDESIREABLE SIDE EFFECTS.

I guess I'm usually in the pre-hypertension category with the exception of a few recent readings.
    >>LOOKS THAT WAY TO ME TOO

Are you on BP medication, and you still have readings that average 146/88, and is your doctor o.k. with those numbers?
    >>My Dr. is ok with consistent, average readings under 140/90. I am currently on Atacand (an ARB) and Cardura (an Alpha blocker). I was averaging about 152/95 or so. I will also probably start a diuretic (non sulfa).

I'm trying to understand what's acceptable, and what's cause for alarm! I would've thought that if you needed medication to control BP, it should be at least at or under the 120/80 mark.
    >>No, that's not true - although it depends upon your own individual circumstances - e.g., do you have some other disease,etc. Over 120/80 is usually the time to make further lifestyle improvements. Even if you are "good", be better. Above 140/90 is usually make lifestyle changes if you are not already. If you are, then meds may be considered for control.

Thanks so much for responding.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:24 AM   #5
    onnason
    (female)

onnason HB User
    Thanks again, Tick Tock. You've been very calming! I'm posting here again because it's really the same thread. I took my BP all day yesterday with readings ranging from 112/88 to 140/105. Like I said, I'm normally a 110/70-78 gal, so I'm very upset about this. Could my anxiety over these readings be what's causing the rise? Is it time to call the doc yet? I should mention, work has been disasterous, and my husband is scheduled for open heart surgery on 11/3 to repair the beginnings of another aortic dissection (he almost died from it back in '01 at 41 years old). I'm sure the stress of everything is getting to me -- is it o.k. to have elevated readings for, say, a couple of months with no adverse effects like stroke or heart attack?

As you can see, I'm in a panic. I've been taking klonopin, 3 mg. day, but it really isn't helping. Any reassurance is so much appreciated. Thanks again.

Old 10-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
    sunkarthik

sunkarthik HB User
    Hi Amarra..read through these forums and you can find out how anxiety envelopes the life of those with high blood pressure and worsens it.

Do u feel yourself holding ur breath and trying to exhale slowly when u feel the cuff beginning to inflate..then follow as suggested.Take readings in intervals of 2 mins keep taking the readings till the reading u get is greater than the previous one..ex if I st reading is 138/76 IInd 124/74 IIrd 115/76 IV the 124/76 take average of last 3 readings.

Remember during the exercise of a healthy person BP rises to as much as 160/85 and with weight lifters even to 230..

So this is not abt absolute numbers..its is how long u remain in the green range 120/80 & below and how long in orange 140/90 & below..

Keep a diary and record ur BP nos as follows out of bed..arrival in office..coffee time (11 Am)..post lunch..coffee time (3:00 PM)..ready to leave office..evening (8:00 PM)..record for a whole week..7 days..very regularly

That will tell u if u are spending what in which range..if u keep monitoring at home u could miss that timeframe at work when ur BP could be in orange range..

The above will take away ur anxiety a lot..and paint a true picture..

Closed Thread