It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Dyazide & Norvasc Increase My Glucose

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-23-2003, 03:32 PM   #1
    maxjasper
    Inactive

maxjasper HB User
    Thumbs down Dyazide & Norvasc Increase My Glucose

http://www3.telus.net/maxjasper/gluf.jpg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
    maxjasper
    Inactive

maxjasper HB User
    Lightbulb

[url="http://www.emcreg.org/pdf/Dunder03.pdf"]Increase in blood glucose concentration during antihypertensive treatment as a predictor of myocardial infarction: population based cohort study[/url]

Old 10-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #3
    maxjasper
    Inactive

maxjasper HB User
    http://www3.telus.net/maxjasper/gluf...or_norvasc.jpg
    Norvasc dose 5 to 10 mg/day increased my gluf highly. However, Dyazide effect is much greater than Norvasc in rising levels of gluf. Dyazide for this reason is a main cause of myocardial infraction as described in the reference given in my past post.

Old 11-15-2003, 09:20 PM   #4
    maxjasper
    Inactive

maxjasper HB User
    Rise in my blood glucose due to Norvasc & Dyazide:
    http://www3.telus.net/maxjasper/gluf_medications.jpg

Old 11-16-2003, 06:46 AM   #5
    spirlhelix

spirlhelix HB User
    Wonder what this means

Hi, Max

The hormone aldosterone is only a couple of molecules away from being cortisol, which has got something to do with glucose metabolism. I am trying to study it, but I have to admit I haven't grasped it yet. Try googling aldosterone and glucose and see what comes up; perhaps you will understand it and be able to explain it to me.

Hugs,

Pam

Old 11-16-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
    maxjasper
    Inactive

maxjasper HB User
    Hi Pam,
    Thanks for the info. I am getting to its bottom, but for now I have this info:

Aldosterone
    Aldosterone is a mineralcorticoid. Mineralcorticoids maintain salt balance, a function which is necessary to sustain life. Aldosterone stimulates the kidney to conserve sodium (Na+) and excrete potassium (K+) and hydronium (H+ = H3O+) cations. Aldosterone levels increase during the process of acclimation to hot climates, causing increased Na+ retention by the kidney and decreased Na+ content in perspiration. Aldosterone also effects the gut and salivary glands to acquire and conserve Na+, but to a lesser extent than the kidney and skin, under the same conditions.
    Aldosterone release is stimulated by ACTH from the anterior pituitary, angiotensin II from the kidney, and an increase in the relative ratio of K+/Na+. The aldosterone synthesis is increased by signals to the adrenal cortex for more steroid hormones. Aldosterone has a half-life of twenty minutes (20 min). Metabolism consists of reduction of the C3 and C20 keto groups and the D4 double bond followed by conjugation with glucuronic acid and secretion in the urine.
    [URL=http://www.neurosci.pharm.utoledo.***/MBC3320/glucocorticoids.htm]source...[/URL]

Old 11-16-2003, 12:14 PM   #7
    spirlhelix

spirlhelix HB User
    Hi, Max

Check out this article:

Aldosterone blockade helps heart attack patients--

[url]www.hon.ch/News/HSN/512487.html[/url]

Following the RALES trial of spironolactone for heart failure, Aldosterone elevation was for the first time considered to be a precursor of heart failure.

I wonder if elevated aldosterone might also be causing the increase in glucose seen in potential heart attack patients in the study you cited. Aldosterone is not touched by ARBs or ACE inhibitors. In the article cited above, they have decided aldosterone blockade is a good strategy for heart attack patients. I wonder why they don't seem to be considering establishing the blockade _before_ heart attack or heart failure occurs.

Hmmm.

Pam

Closed Thread