It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• high HR coming off of beta blocker... how long?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2003, 02:34 PM   #1
    slpagirl
    (female)

slpagirl HB User
    Post high HR coming off of beta blocker... how long?

Hi... I am tapering off of a beta blocker (Toprol XL).
    Was on it for 2 years, and recently had to take up to 50+ mg (long story). Now, I am weaning off of it, for over a week. But my HR gets very high at times... like 100 to 115. After taking the bp meds (Toprol XL at a low dosage, 12.5 and Lotensin 10 mg), the HR stabilizes in the 80's... but toward the end of the 24-hour period, my heart rate shoots up.

For those experienced at getting off of a beta blocker and have had a high HR as a withdrawal... how did you do it and how long does it take?
    Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2003, 07:48 PM   #2
    hpbguyfromca
    (male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
    depends on the person..

mine took 8-10 days.. some folks take 2 months..

note: i was on a strict workout scheduale of 3.5 miles a day which may have contributed to the quick flushing of the toprol from my system..

F.

Old 10-31-2003, 03:08 AM   #3
    wr6969

wr6969 HB User
    Hi there. What you've described is exactly what I'm feeling now. Look here for some insights ---> [url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000911.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum57/HTML/000911.html[/url]

Here're some short(ish) answers to your questions:

(1) it depends on the individual when it comes to completely weaning off the drug. My cardiologist mentioned that some people do take up to 6 months (not wanting to scare you here)

(2) exercise is a good way to get the body back in shape faster, as mentioned above. I now exercise on the treadmill almost on a daily basis for about half an hour (no running, just brisk uphill walking)

(3) at times, the palpitations may cause you some concern. Anxiety is the most likely result, which leads to an even higher pulse as well as a higher BP due to the "stress" of worrying about yourself. This is common, and a combination of exercise as well as some mind relaxation/meditation will help alleviate these feelings

(4) if you're still concerned that you're having problems withdrawing from the drug, talk to your cardiologist who may suggest doing an ECG/EKG to put your mind at rest that you do not have anything serious, just what they call "rebound tachycardia"

(5) if you want to do a quick comparison, my pulse with the beta blocker was in the region of 62 to 66, when I withdrew, in the first week it was in the region of 100-120, in the second week it went down to the high 90s, and now it's in the mid 80s. I still suffer from the odd spell of palpitations, either due to anxiety or the new drug I'm taking (a calcium channel blocker called Plendil, which has been known to raise the heart rate)

Hope this helps!

Old 10-31-2003, 03:15 AM   #4
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User
    Hi, I am in your same boat, not just the HR, but the jitter and shakes, anxiety. I wake up like this and its hard to sleep. My HR at rest is not bad, maybe 80's, but if I do anything much it jumps. I do not take it after a slow walk up a few steps because I am scared to see the number in my state. Feels like its pounding! I have been off about 12 days now.

I am going to cardio today, but although I like him and he is good, I don't think he will have answer, as I called company that makes it yesteday, they did not have answer. They said something about half lives, takes 35 hours. I did not get it, but I found out the half life was for regular toprol, not the XL I was on. Woman on the phone said it might take longer, but they have no data.

I wish I never was put on this. I should have done more research, I was naive. Both parents had high BP, I don't remembe then having these medicine problems.
    My Gp put me on Toprol with BP of 140/90. Later she added a very small dose of HCTZ 12.5 mg. I have been off HCTZ for about 6 weeks.

Good luck and Take care
    we can help each other out, even if its just mentally
    Silvia

[This message has been edited by Sillyme03 (edited 10-31-2003).]

Old 10-31-2003, 01:59 PM   #5
    hpbguyfromca
    (male)

hpbguyfromca HB User
    wr6969, your statements are right on target.. this information is well organized and hits the main ideas perfectly.. they should put this in a HBP FAQ,...

FYI..
    F.

Old 10-31-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
    slpagirl
    (female)

slpagirl HB User
    Hi all... Thanks everyone for taking the time to send your feedback. Went to the doctor today, for a follow-up. She was concerned about my high HR, so she put me on Verapamil, which controls HR like a beta blocker.
    It is a calcium channel blocker. It's a drug that has been around a while, according to my doctor. Wish me luck!

Old 11-06-2003, 06:04 AM   #7
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User
    How are you?

How are you doing? How is the toprol withdrawal coming along.

I would love to hear how things are going, hopefully well.

I am still having some problems after 2+ weeks

Sil

Old 11-07-2003, 05:30 AM   #8
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Toprol Addiction

This points up the worst aspect of beta blockade over a long period of time.
    It seems that for many here, the stuff is ADDICTIVE in the worst sense of the term.
    Here's what I mean.
    Toprol has a short half life of only 4-7 hours, (propranolol 2-4 hours). Both these substances are well and truly gone from the body in a day or two.

BUT since symptoms of heart speedup and anxiety and sleeplessness seem to persist for FAR longer periods, there is but one reasonable explanation- the body produced more beta-receptors to compensate for taking the drugs.
    So when the blockade is removed the effects of catecholemines (adrenaline and noradrenaline) are FAR worse than before the drug was started.

An unfortunate correllary, if addictivess is a fact, is the need for more and more blockade to saturate the ever increasing receptor sites.

It seems an awful road to go on unless angina is present and a lifetime of these drugs is contemplated and probably necessary.

My longtime experience was with nadolol (Corgard) which is something of a different horror story. It has a 3 day half life so stopping it takes about 2 weeks to really clear it from your system- so it's kind of auto-weening. The downside is that with that huge half life, everyday's dose adds to the day before so before long, you've hopelessly overdosed, can't get up stairs can barely walk and then it takes FOREVER for the body to get rid of the crap!

I take small doses of propranolol now with maybe a week off every month. This of course is NOT doctor approved, but then I'm always taking something else.

Last edited by zip2play; 11-07-2003 at 05:39 AM.

Old 11-07-2003, 05:50 AM   #9
    Sillyme03
    (female)

Sillyme03 HB User
    Half Life

Thanks for the information zip2play

There is on thing that you posted that I believe is incorrect. The half life of metoprolol or toprol regular is 3-7 hours, but the company has no information on the half life of the XL or 24 hour version. I don't think it could be 3-7 hours as its supposed to last 24 hours. Again, I am not sure.

I just can't wait to be rid of this stuff. While I am still not 100% sure that it was the cause of all my ills, I really think it had a major part.

Go to new Dr next week, will see what she has to say. Most Dr's think it should be out in a few days, I know from other peoples experience that is not true

Silvia

Closed Thread