It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Beta Blocker Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Beta Blocker Question

Hi,

I was wondering if you think that being on a low dose beta blocker (25mg Toprol XL) - could cause breathing problems, stomach discomfort, and contribute to acid/GERD. I know large doses can cause problems - but I wasn't sure if such a low dose is doing these things to me or if I need to look in another direction.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Beta Blocker Question

Yes, most definately. The amount of drug doesn't matter.
    The chest discomfort maybe from the acid reflux.

One can even have pain down the left arm just like symptoms of a heart attack. The only way to know for sure which it is is to have blood drawn for certain enzmes & get a ekg.

You have to be proactive. Always take your med with a meal & make sure there is at least 1 tsp of fat to protect your stomach in the meal. I use one slice of Kraft american cheese. Eat part of your meal then stop & take your meds before finishing the meal.

I know it is uncomfortable to deal with these symptoms but it can get better. Fam

Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Vanessa,

I was on 1/2 of the initial dose of atenolol (25 mg vs 50 mg), which is a beta blocker, and experienced fatigue, multiple falls (one of which landed me in first visit to an er), lethargy, respiratory distress on a daily basis, and suicidal thoughts...this after only after a few weeks of being on the med.

So yes, a "low" dose can cause problems.

Bethsehba

Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you both so much.

I have been trying to 'isolate' things one at a time to try and figure out what is happening to me.

Toprol is next to go -- THANKS! I know that I have to do a slow weaning process - wonder after 4 years how long it will take to get the drug out of my system?

Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Yes, Vanessa. Unfortunately, it can. I just learned that even the one I am on can cause breathing (and other) problems. I guess it's the benefit versus risk type of a thing. I know that at least one of my doctors thinks I should not be taking ANY beta blockers at all. My breathing is impaired to begin with (for whatever reason). You seem to be facing the same issues. Selective or non-selective beta blocker - makes little difference in people with asthma or other breathing difficulties. We should not be taking ANY beta blockers.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-20-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #6
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

People with pheochromocytoma and some other secondary bp conditions shouldn't take beta blockers or their condtion may get worse...but I can't remember what the other condtions are.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 01-21-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typos

Old 01-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Beth, if you come across any information related to these issues, would you please post it? I resent the way doctors seem to dismiss breathing and other problems. I mean, telling me that I should learn better breathing techniques sounds a bit ridiculous. Luckily, I am not having any difficulties right now.

Stopping the beta blockers for a while to see if the breathing improves is a good idea. Mine got better for a while. It did not last.

flowergirl

Old 01-20-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Beth, if you come across any information related to these issues, would you please post it? I resent the way doctors seem to dismiss breathing and other problems. I mean, telling me that I should learn better breathing techniques sounds a bit ridiculous. Luckily, I am not having any difficulties right now.

Stopping the beta blockers for a while to see if the breathing improves is a good idea. Mine got better for a while. It did not last.

flowergirl
    Yes, I, too, resent the way doctors dismiss breathing and other problems...some of these side effects one CANNOT live with. I'm relieved to know you are not having problems right now.

My breathing cleared up once I stopped the medication...can't tell you much more than that other than I did not associate my medication with the breathing problems. As is often the case, it was only after I was off the med (actually, when you brought it up in one of your posts) that I realized how severe the problems were...but those meds messed with my mind bigtime.

I'll try to let you know if I find any info regarding "these issues". What I find so maddening is that on the pharmacy sheet/package insert/whatever, it will say that in some people the medication may make the person's condition WORSE but they will not say WHY or HOW. It's only in other literature that the "why" comes up...rebound hypertension in beta blockers, for instance. I don't remember why the beta blocker would make a pheo's condition worse.

Bethsheba

PS Flowergirl, I'm having pc problems again....may be offline for awhile so don't freak if you don't hear from me. Take care.

Last edited by bethsheba; 01-20-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

Hi, when I was taking Atenolol, I had weird side effects. Not everyone has the same side effects and there are doctors who's first line of defense against high blood pressure is the immediate prescription for beta blockers. Some people do really well. Other's don't. Doctors say it's a great drug. For me it wasn't so, but everyone is different (obviously.) I just read, and I wish I could remember where, that there is a new beta blocker out that doesn't cause the side effects that Atenolol and Toprol do. If anyone has heard of this, would you post.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #10
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you all - it is definitely time for me to 'wean' slowly off this drug and see if that helps improve my breathing at all.

Going on acid meds AND increasing my ASTHMA meds DID NOT HELP - so onto the next thing.

THANKS!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
    jr2212
    (male)

jr2212 HB User

Vanessa - DO NOT jump right off beta blockers, call ur DR. and discuss it with him (or her). My doc pulled me off atenolol 50mg cold turkey - and believe me it was (or is) a wild ride!! Think I'm still suffering months later.

Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you - I will definitely take it SLOW and monitor myself closely. I know how diffcult it can be.

I am so sorry that you had to go 'cold turkey' - that must have been awful.. And to still be suffering - TERRIBLE....

I hope you feel better

Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi lola's mom,

Quote:
    I just read, and I wish I could remember where, that there is a new beta blocker out that doesn't cause the side effects that Atenolol and Toprol do. If anyone has heard of this, would you post.
    There is a short thread on this board about this beta blocker, Bystolic. It's title is New blood pressure medication, dated 12/21/07. The new beta blocker was supposed to be available in early January 2008. I haven't seen much written about it since the initial press release in December of last year. I asked my doctor about it. It was news to him. I hope he'll be better informed when I see him later this week. He does not like to prescribe brand new medication. This beta blocker does not quite fall into the "new drug" category because it's been in use for quite some time in other countries.

PS You can find that press release easily. Hopefully, Mylan and Forest Laboratories have supplied sufficient information about this drug.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-21-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #14
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

My doctor gave me samples of BYSTOLIC last week at my checkup. He claims the pill targets several very important areas of the cardiovascular system. I was recently taking BISOPROLOL which made me extremely tired. The samples are 5 mg tablets which I am currently splitting in half. The tablets are suppose to be available in 2.5, 5 and 10 mg. I've only seen the 5 and 10 mg tablets being offered by many pharm.companies. I've been taking BYSTOLIC for about 5 days. One thing I've noticed is my energy level has increased a little and I am not feeling as tired. I think it is too soon to properly evaluate this pill. I guess only time will tell.....

Old 01-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for sharing that, ACE. I too am on Bisoprolol and would not mind to give this new beta blocker a try. I already asked my doctor and he refused, saying it was a new drug which had not proven itself. While I appreciate his reluctance to prescribe new drugs, this drug is only new in our part of the world and has been around for a while.
    I don't give up easily and will keep asking about it. It sure would be nice to have more energy and be able to exercise longer. I will have to find out how Bystolic affects the beta1 and beta2 receptors as I will not risk becoming short of breath again.
    Time will tell, as you say. We don't really have to wait, do we, to find out how well it works? I am sure that and other information is available....

good luck with your new beta blocker!

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-22-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Closed Thread