It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• High bp and headache

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2008, 03:29 AM   #1
    lovemy2girls
    (female)

lovemy2girls HB User
    High bp and headache

Is it just me or what but when ever my bp goes up I get a massive headach that just will not stop no matter what I do until it comes back down? Why is this. My head has been killing me since yesterday it feels like the top of my head is going to blow off.Any suggestions on making it stop hurting? I can't take Ibuprophine because it interferes with the micardis tylenol does not work and neither does asprin I need some relief it hurts so bad I couldn't sleep last night. my eyes are blury and I just want to keep them closed light makes it hurt more. I am typing this with my eyes shut right now because the glare from the monitor is just killing me. I need some help here please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Re: High bp and headache

How high is your pressure when you get these types of headaches?

I get those too - if I don't take my Toprol RIGHT on time. Nothing takes the pain away until my pressure comes back down. I find it very scary...

Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: High bp and headache

lovemygirls,

Do you headaches correlate with your blood pressure increases? It sure sounds like it. How good is your blood pressure control?

Headache is a very common side effect of many medications. You might want to check your drug information sheet for possible side effects of Micardis. Headache could be listed. What works better than ANY medication is a quick reduction in blood pressure. It always makes the headache go away. I had awful withdrawal headaches (24/7) after discontinuing a high dose of a combination drug -an alpha & beta blocker. I saw a neurologist for another problem at that time and, of course, complained about my headaches. He advised applying the heat/cold technique for relief and did not prescribe any medication, saying I was on too many already. The headache lasted just about six weeks. It was pretty bad to have to live with.

I get headaches when my blood pressure reaches a certain level while elevated and still rising. I can always tell when there's a substantial increase in blood pressure without taking a BP measurement.

To save you the time, I went and got my own Micardis drug info sheet. Headache is not listed among the few possible side effects shown (too few!!).
    I checked my favorite drug book and - sure enough! - headache and sleep disturbances are listed as possible side effects as well as other things NOT SHOWN on the pharmacy drug info sheet, such as taste disorders. It always pays to use several different sources for reference.
    I find that being out in fresh air (walking) gives a temporary relief from the headache. Try applying the heat and cold compresses or walking. It helped me and might do the same for you.

Good luck!
    flowergirl

Closed Thread