It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol) - New Hypertensive(Beta Blocker)Medication

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #16
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User
    Re: BYSTOLIC (Nebivolol) - New Hypertensive(Beta Blocker)Medication

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    ACE,

thanks for volunteering to be a guinea pig.... I am so glad this beta blocker agrees with you. Its side effects are supposed to be less intense than those of other beta blockers. Please keep us posted.

flowergirl
    Flowergirl,

Bystolic side effects are suppose to be less intense as you mentioned, but their are side effects. I've been getting sharp knee pains occasionaly which (I am sure) are a side effect of this drug, especially when using stairs.
    I stopped the BYSTOLIC and switched to BISOPROLOL during the past few days, the pain has completely disappeared. The only side effects I've experienced with BISOPROLOL are fatigue and some gastro issues. The fatigue in the afternnon I can tolerate, but having to take an elevator to avoid the steps (because of joint pain) is too much.

P.S. I'm coming to believe that if you do not have any side-effects at all, it means the pill is probably not working to lower blood pressure.
    The term "No pain, No gain" comes to mind....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #17
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Ace,

I am sorry to hear about your side effects. I am very glad they went away when you stopped the drug.

What class is BISOPROLOL in?

Thanks,

Vanessa

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Ace,

I am so sorry to hear that the new beta blocker is not without side effects. How dissapointing that must be for you! Whether or not it has only few side effects depends on whom you believe. While we were discussing this drug earlier in this thread I read some articles by overseas health authorities about this beta blocker (it goes by another name there). The lists of adverse effects did not appear to be much shorter than those of other beta blockers. I became somewhat skeptical about Bystolic's apparent lack of side effects as claimed. Bystolic (under another name) has been in use for quite some time in other countries, which is why enough information is available. Prior to starting a new medication it sure doesn't hurt to check as many sources as possible.
    The Bisoprolol you are on now should be OK with fewer side effects. I am on a low enough dose (because of the breathing problems I experience on high doses of beta blockers) to retain my energy level and keep my breathing problem free. Bisoprolol retains its selectivity at low doses and affects mostly the beta1 receptors. The selectivity is lost with high dosing. I am hoping this is the right beta blocker for you. Good luck with it!

flowergirl

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Ace,

I am so sorry to hear that the new beta blocker is not without side effects. How dissapointing that must be for you! Whether or not it has only few side effects depends on whom you believe. While we were discussing this drug earlier in this thread I read some articles by overseas health authorities about this beta blocker (it goes by another name there). The lists of adverse effects did not appear to be much shorter than those of other beta blockers. I became somewhat skeptical about Bystolic's apparent lack of side effects as claimed. Bystolic (under another name) has been in use for quite some time in other countries, which is why enough information is available. Prior to starting a new medication it sure doesn't hurt to check as many sources as possible.
    The Bisoprolol you are on now should be OK with fewer side effects. I am on a low enough dose (because of the breathing problems I experience on high doses of beta blockers) to retain my energy level and keep my breathing problem free. Bisoprolol retains its selectivity at low doses and affects mostly the beta1 receptors. The selectivity is lost with high dosing. I am hoping this is the right beta blocker for you. Good luck with it!

flowergirl

Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 AM   #20
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Hi Flowergirl,

I'm back on BYSTOLIC again. I started taking it again about 2 weeks ago..

While on BISOPROLOL these past weeks the fatigue was really getting to me. I would almost fall asleep at work. I also began to experience more headaches and sometimes shortness of breath.

I guess it was a choice of the knee pain with BYSTOLIC or constantly falling asleep and waking with splitting headaches with BISOPROLOL. I figured, I could always take an elevator at work and take a wait and see attitude. I think I did not give BYSTOLIC enough time to really see if side-effects lessen over time. I can say that aside from some stiffness in my knees the pain is gone and seems to be improving. As I continue.... I will keep you posted....

Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Ace,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with these two types of beta blockers. I guess time will tell which one is best for you. Your posts seem to indicate that even these newest beta blockers are not without side effects (contrary to some claims). I have developed some tolerance to selective beta blockers over time. I don't get very tired and can function almost normally (if I don't do anything physically too demanding).

I hope you've chosen wisely - the good thing is you can always switch back to Bisoprolol or try another beta blocker, if needed.

Thanks once again for your informative posts.

flowergirl

Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #22
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Hi Ace,

I got permanent damage to my knees from Cozaar & I was only on it for 13 days. So you better be careful. I have to wear ace bandages to walk any distance other than to the bathroom at home. It's no fun. Fam

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #23
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Hi Ace,

thank you very much for sharing your experience with these two types of beta blockers. I guess time will tell which one is best for you. Your posts seem to indicate that even these newest beta blockers are not without side effects (contrary to some claims). I have developed some tolerance to selective beta blockers over time. I don't get very tired and can function almost normally (if I don't do anything physically too demanding).

I hope you've chosen wisely - the good thing is you can always switch back to Bisoprolol or try another beta blocker, if needed.

Thanks once again for your informative posts.

flowergirl

Hi Flowergirl,

After exploring most of the beta-blockers for the past several months. I think I can say say with pretty good certainty that BYSTOLIC gives excellent
    heart rate control. If you experience PACS and PVC's, BYSTOLIC gives remarkable control (Like no other beta-blocker I've ever tried). TOPROL and BISOPROLOL suppress the faster heart-beat (which is good), but do not help as much with the PVC's. BYSTOLIC appears to be "decent" when it comes to blood pressure control, but BISOPROLOL appears to be much more effective at the same dosage (5mg) for blood pressure control. My doctor claims Bisoprolol is the strongest of the beta-blockers.

As far as side effects, BISOPROLOL and BYSTOLIC are very similar (fatigue, minor aches and pains, slight weight gain etc...) but neither have given me nightmares and mood-swings like TOPROL.

P.S. For now, I will continue with the BYSTOLIC (as I continue to monitor my BP numbers)

Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #24
    ntbd
    Inactive
    (male)

ntbd HB User

Quote:
    You don't get any muscle aches on Pravachol? I'll do some reading about it. It seems to me that everytime I mention the wonder drug (Lipitor) as a possible cause of my aches the doctor gets MAD and says they are caused by -what else?-anxiety. I even quit taking it once because of scary muscle/nerve coordination problems and was persuaded to go back on it by my nephrologist. That's why I am not sure I have the option of stopping it completely or switching to another drug (unless it is very effective in reducing cholesterol). Oh well. I am lucky I am not on a high dose, I guess.
    What about taking CoQ10? As statins are infamous for causing muscle aches, especially in legs, so CoQ10 is famous to counter that. In fact, the aches might come about precisely because the statins deplete the CoQ10 from muscle. Aches are one thing, but what about when the damage occurs to cardiac muscle?

But a lot of mainline docs never tell their patients that. They instead switch from statin to statin, and sometimes that works - but sometimes it doesn't. Or, you can switch to a fibrate like Lopid/gemfibrozol. Fibrates were the predecessors to statins.

Have you ever read the analysis of statin use based on the medical/statistical concept of Number Needed To Treat? It's an eye opener. <removed> Summary: when you give statins to large number of people, by far the huge huge majority will have no benefit. At least 99/100 or as high as 249/250. So is the risk of side effects worth it to those who do not have really bad lipid profiles?

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-15-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find commercial websites.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #25
    ntbd
    Inactive
    (male)

ntbd HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACE28 View Post
    As far as side effects, BISOPROLOL and BYSTOLIC are very similar (fatigue, minor aches and pains..
    Hi, Ace. Earlier in this thread you mentioned knee pain from the nebivolol. What particular knee structure was involved... tendons, cartilage? And what is the mechanism for the knee damage?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
    ntbd
    Inactive
    (male)

ntbd HB User

I'd add that nebivolol/Bystolic is a vasodilator, so won't aggravate Reynaud's like Toprol, etc. It induces enhanced nitric oxide bioavailability.

It does not cause hyperglycemia, like other BBs can. (And it is an antioxidant.)

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #27
    tami52100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tami52100 HB User

My husband took bystolic for a month and he was horrible on it his moods was so bad I could not stand to be around him. He would snap at anything and was always in a bad mood no matter what I spent most of the day fighting with him or crying because he was so mean. He is on Toprol XL now and is so much better. He has a really fast heart rate and high blood pressure the bystolic didn't help at all but it could of been he was always worked up by being so mad all the time. The Toprol has lowered his heart rate to a normal persons rate and his blood pressure is lowering slowly.

I am glad bystolic works for some people It just goes to show that different people have different side effects. I am so happy they took him off bystolic.,
    our angel 2/16/05
    10/16/08..... AVA GRACE
    Maybe TTC #3 if it's ment to be ok if not ok not stressing this time. :-)

Old 05-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #28
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Ntbd,

Quote:
    What about taking CoQ10? As statins are infamous for causing muscle aches, especially in legs, so CoQ10 is famous to counter that. In fact, the aches might come about precisely because the statins deplete the CoQ10 from muscle. Aches are one thing, but what about when the damage occurs to cardiac muscle?
    I have been taking 200mg of CoQ10 with every Lipitor capsule. I refuse to take the statin without the CoQ10. Do you think that my doctor ever suggested I take the CoQ10, or mentioned the possibility of a permanent muscle damage from statins? Not a word. I had to get my information through research and testimonials of people living with the aftermath of a statin therapy. I started having muscle paralysis (in the legs) last year for a while and actually fell (without warning) while entering a hospital for a test. On another occassion I could not resume walking after I had stopped to catch my breath. My legs, feet, and toes seemed paralyzed briefly and would not move. That was the final straw and I refused to take another pill. Not long after that my nephrologist insisted I go back on Lipitor. I am well aware of what its toxicity can do to people.

Quote:
    Have you ever read the analysis of statin use based on the medical/statistical concept of Number Needed To Treat? It's an eye opener. Summary: when you give statins to large number of people, by far the huge huge majority will have no benefit. At least 99/100 or as high as 249/250. So is the risk of side effects worth it to those who do not have really bad lipid profiles?
    I am familiar with various methods of data compilation, analysis and interpretation of the results, but not so much in the medical field. In medical literature, the number needed to treat is referred to often when making treatment decisions, especially if they are costly.

On the subject of beta blockers, I am pretty sure that the enhancement of nitric oxide bioavailability is a trait that's unique to Nebivolol. Because it is a newly approved drug in the USA, there are not many people who can share their personal experiences with Nebivolol with us. I am glad we can hear about its side effects firsthand from ACE.

flowergirl

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-15-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: editing quote

Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #29
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tami,

thanks for sharing. Personality changes are a common side effect with certain drugs. I am glad things are a little bit better for both of you now.

While the release of this drug was still pending, I checked some European sources for detailed information about it. It had been in use in many countries for years. I compared the data obtained from several sources and one thing was immediately obvious: the number of side effects did not seem any different than that from OTHER beta blockers. So what was the basis for the claims that these beta blockers have few or no side effects? A small study? Who knows. I am glad that ACe seems to be tolerating Nebivolol and that it is working for him. I am also glad your husband has switched to a drug that does not affect his moods.

flowergirl

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #30
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ACE,

thanks for the update. It's nice when you can (or HAVE TO) try different medications to see which one works best. It"s even nicer when you can try several within the same drug class.

I am glad to hear that Bisoprolol is considered the strongest beta blocker by some. I wonder why. There are tables comparing the various beta blockers in one of my books with only the clinical data. I'll try to find out more. I read anything I can about the drugs I have to take and always learn something new.
    Do you combine the beta blocker with another blood pressure medication? Sorry, I don't remember. Whatever the case, I am glad it's working.

flowergirl

Closed Thread