It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Do I Need to Wean Off of Altenolol???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
    CrazyLife414
    Veteran
    (female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
    Do I Need to Wean Off of Altenolol???

Hi..there are so many of you folks that have such great (not so great) experiences with these drugs, I am wondering if I could get some help????
    My doctor is taking me off the 25mg of Altenolol (Thank God) that I have been on for almost a year.. and wants me to try Lisenopril 20 mg. She said that I should not have to wean off of the Altenolol because it is such a small dose but I have read that many people have trouble even with such a small dosage.
    How do I do this??? Do I cut them in half or do I take one every other day and the lisenopril on the other day? Should I start taking the lisenpril while I am weaning off of the altenolol? I am so afraid of the side effects of going off of a beta blocker...this whole thing already makes me crazy so I don't want to add anything too the stress!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Many Thanks in Advance!!
    Crazy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
    wamylove
    (female)

wamylove HB User
    Re: Do I Need to Wean Off of Altenolol???

You might want to research Lisinopril side effects. I wound up in the ER with palpitations after 24 days taking that dose, which is fairly high. Also a sore throat which took weeks to go away....
    I lasted 2 days with the Beta blockers, so I don't know about weaning off them, but you can read a lot about it on these boards.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

I think it is better to be safe than to be sorry...knowing what I know now, I would wean off...

You might want to check with your pharmacist to see what s/he recommends for getting off atenolol and going on lisinopriol.

Otherwise, you can check these boards. One of the most read threads, addresses this issue in Randygirl's post #10.

Atenolol stays in your system for several weeks after discoing...so I'd be concerned about starting the lisinopril right away...but perhaps it takes lisinopril several weeks to work. I don't know...but I would hope that the pharmacist would know.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Bethsheba

Old 02-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wamylove View Post
    You might want to research Lisinopril side effects....
    Yes, wamylove is right! Check out the lisinopril before you get the rx filled!

Bethsheba

Old 02-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
    jana65
    (female)

jana65 HB User

Just to add my 2 cents worth...I would wean off the atenolol also. I am on both the medicines you mentioned. Lisinopril 25mg and Atenolol 25mg. My doctor 1st put me on Lisinopril for consistently high blood pressure. I took it for 2 wks. and went back for follow-up and I still had a " rapid " heartbeat so he added the Atenolol. I have been on this dosages for 1 year and I am doing fine and have had no side effects, other than some tiredness during the first weeks. For some reason, I feel less anxious, I don't really understand how these medicines effect that but, I really feel better overall.
    I think you'll find that most of the people who post on this board, have had or are having problems with medication. Therefore, they don't have a whole lot of positive things to say about medications given for blood pressure. True, some people DO have very real problems with certain medications. On the other hand, MANY people are helped by those same medicines. It is just a highly individual choice for each person, with their doctor's guidance, to make.
    IMHO...
    Jana

Old 02-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #6
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jana65 View Post
    ...I think you'll find that most of the people who post on this board, have had or are having problems with medication. Therefore, they don't have a whole lot of positive things to say about medications given for blood pressure..... On the other hand, MANY people are helped by those same medicines. ...Jana
    Jana,

What you are saying is very, very true. Unfortunately, our posts our biased simply because we are having problems....and for that reason we don't hear about the people who do well on meds.

We need to hear that, like yourself, meds can work for people. We need to hear this for perspective, and for giving us hope.

I'm so glad you're doing well with your combo! And thanks so much for posting!

Bethsheba

Closed Thread