It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Toprol XL - Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Toprol XL - Side Effects

Hi All!!

I am DOING IT Thanks to Flower Girl -- I am coming off the Toprol FOR GOOD.... I need your help. I am weaning 1/2 my normal dose for 10 days then done I will drink lots of water - and really relax trying not to overwork myself at all. Also, TYLENOL for the bad headaches....

I have changed Drs. 4 times in the last three years - currently on Dr. #4 and changing is not an option right now (running out of Drs. around here ) -- When my Pulm. Dr. find out about my breathing problems - he doubled my asthma meds (Flovent HFA) - and told me OFF TOPROL RIGHT AWAY....

Well my reg. Dr. completely does not agree so kept me on a low dose of Toprol and has tried (unsuccessfully) - to ADD other HBP meds to find the right 'cocktail' to control my HBP - so far NO LUCK.... He absolutely LOVES LOVES Toprol and does not believe me that the side effects are horrid. He does nto believe that I have asthma - but nonetheless - told me to double the asthma meds like the pulm. suggested??? I will say that I live in a very small town and it is difficult to get good quality care without having to drive 2 hours away.....

Can anyone who has tried it (Toprol) - please post your side effects so that I can print it out and bring it to him.... I will already be OFF of it by then - but I want to PROVE it to him so he does not try to get me to start taking it again or try to put me on another Beta Blocker.

THANKS EVERYONE -- this board has been my saving grace lately - you are all the BEST

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Toprol XL - Side Effects

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
    ...I will already be OFF of it by then - but I want to PROVE it to him so he does not try to get me to start taking it again or try to put me on another Beta Blocker....
    Vanessa, good for you!!! You're educating yourself and you are taking charge of your health!

I have no experience with Toprol, but I would recommend you get a copy of the package insert from your pharmacist and highlight all the serious side effects, several of which you seem to have.

You might also want to copy the FDA's info sheet because they list some of your problems, too. For example, they say that some side effects can be serious, and although the following symptoms are uncommon, you should call your doctor immediately:

shortness of breath
    wheezing

swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
    unusual weight gain
    fainting
    rapid, pounding, or irregular heartbeat

They go on to include the symptoms of an overdose...dizziness, fainting,
    difficulty breathing, or swallowing, swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

You might also want to look for the clinical studies done on this drug...you'd be able to find the statistics of people that experienced similar problems.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

Old 02-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
    autumnrose333
    (female)

autumnrose333 HB User

Don't even mention Toprol XL to me; I was on it for only a week, and I can't tell you how horrible the side effects were: gruesome vivid nightmares, feeling of suffocation when laying down, feeling that my head was going to explode, pressure in eyeballs and blurry vision, tingling in face and lips. Altho' I don't have asthma, I just wanted to throw my experience with Toprol in because I think it poison to a lot of people. I thought I was going to die before I realized it was the medication.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thank you so much for sharing this with me - I am trying to 'build up a list' of what people have experienced on Toprol - so he won't try and put me back on it EVER.....

I am so glad that you were able to get OFF it - are you better? Any lasting effects?

Again, thanks so much for sharing with me!

Vanessa

Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
    suki1724
    (female)

suki1724 HB User

I think I lasted about 3 weeks on toprol. I went to a pulmonologist and he told me to NEVER take toprol again. I wish I didn't have asthma because it lowered my BP beautifully and I felt "calm" on it as well.

Susan

Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #6
    katolb90
    (female)

katolb90 HB User

Took Toprol for a short time early last year. I do remember it caused me to be depressed and burst into tears for stupid stuff that normally wouldn't bother me. I'll have to check my 'log' for any other side effects.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Suki,

Were you having any breathing problems on it?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #8
    suki1724
    (female)

suki1724 HB User

Yes, I had terrible breathing problems on toprol. I was feeling so bad that I went to see a pulmonologist and he said to NEVER take it again. He was a big fan of the ARB class as being a good choice for asthmatics.

Susan

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #9
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Thanks Suki,

Do you mind my asking what dosage you were on and what your breathing problems were like?

I am 5 days into my 'weaning' off of it. I am doing 1/2 the 25mg dosage. I am still having breathing difficulties and it is scaring me.

How long did it take you to feel better? Did you wean or go off cold turkey (sorry for all the questions!!)

My heart has been RACING off and on, sometimes headaches and/or head pressure, chest tightness off and on that can get severe for a while. some anxiety from the withdrawal. Taking a Xanax seems to help with the worst of it. I have been on Toprol for 5 years now so I wonder how long it will take to completely get out of my system?

Have a good day!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #10
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Vanessa,

the withdrawal symptoms you describe sound very familiar. I know it does not help you much but I want you to know that other people experience similar symptoms during drug withdrawals.
    I don't know how much help you're getting from your doctor. I did not get any. He told me to stop taking my beta blocker when my breathing difficulties became unbearable. I had to remind him that, given my dosage, stopping it suddenly might not be a good idea. He then suggested taking 1/2 dose for a week, then quitting completely. That was the extent of his help. No big deal. (for him)

I hope you're getting some help and wish you the best. Five days on a reduced dose is quite an accomplishment. Make sure to check with your doctor regarding your symptoms. I hope he's better than mine....Good luck with your withdrawal. I'll be thinking of you.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
    suki1724
    (female)

suki1724 HB User

Vanessa,

I was on 25mg and was only taking it for a few weeks, so I took 1/2 a pill for I think three or four days and then stopped completely.

My chest was very "tight" on it and I had some wheezing as well.

I'm on my second day of Micardis, I'm really hoping I can stay in this med!

Susan

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Hi Suki,

Thank you for your response. I hope and pray that the Micardis works for you and that you can stay on it with NO wide effects.

Flower,

Thanks so much. It does help to know that others have gone through it SUCCESSFULLY - my Dr. is angry with me and not helping. Insisting that it is 'all in my head' and that such a low dose would not cause problems (though Suki was on my dose and had problems....) - I asked him nicely to please call my pulmonolgist and discuss it with him. He is not helping me - but I had spoken to an ER doctor and he said to take a Xanax or a Valium when they withdrawl gets bad to help slow my heart and relax me - that has been helping. I am so excited to have made it 5 days and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Saturday will be my last 1/2 dosage and then off. I will wait just a bit to give the DASH diet and some exercise time to work before going back to get LECTURED and then try a diuretic

Thanks again for your support - it means so much.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #13
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

By The Way Flower,

I am so sorry that you had to go through that without your Drs. help. At the dosage you were taking and how quickly he took you off - your suffering must have been HORRID...

I am so glad that you made it through. I hope you never have to go through anything like that again.

Nessa

Old 02-21-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vanessa74 View Post
    ...my Dr. is angry with me and not helping. Insisting that it is 'all in my head' and that such a low dose would not cause problems (though Suki was on my dose and had problems....) - I asked him nicely to please call my pulmonolgist and discuss it with him....
    Good for you, Vanessa! Good for you!

Bethsheba

Old 02-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

Toprol Withdrawal - day #6....

Well I am making it but it is SO HARD... I almost feel like a 'drug addict' - it is scary. I got a little upset and had a bit of a 'tif' with my husband and my pressure SOARED... My head pounded and I got severe head pressure for quite some time after... It was very scary.... I made myself relax and rest and that helped.

Today I have a pretty bad headache and some head pressure - my heart is racing off and on - I can tell that it is all 'rebound' from the Toprol withdrawal - it feels 'unreal' and 'unnatural' -- like my body is fighting itself. At times it seems UNREAL to me that a DRUG that is supposed to help can make a person feel like this

The breathing has been a struggle off and on - but I am hopeful that once I am off the Toprol and it is OUT of my body that it will help

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone - it really helps.

I think I may take tomorrow off to 'laze' around in bed and relax a little

Closed Thread