It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• DASH Results, Week 1....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    DASH Results, Week 1....

My blood pressure averaged 132/87, pulse 71, for the 90 plus readings I've taken since September 2007. I've decided to take the DASH 14 day Challenge to see if I could drop my pressures more with the hope/goal of reaching a 120/80, .

I've been on the DASH diet for 1 week now...here are the results for the first week...

First reading in am before breakfast without waiting quietly for 15 minutes (you should wait quietly for 15 minutes when taking a reading):

Monday 135/80, pulse, 89
    Tuesday 127/87, pulse 85
    Wednesday 124/91, pulse 71
    Thursday 124/90, pulse 81
    Friday 137/86, pulse 65
    Saturday 127/91, pulse 72
    Sunday 117/91, pulse 77

Week's Average for first reading: 127/88, pulse 77

Second reading in am taken 2-15 minutes after first reading:

Monday 120/89, pulse 80
    Tuesday 129/89, pulse 89
    Wednesday 121/87, pulse 75
    Thursday 131/86, pulse 70
    Friday 122/92, pulse 92
    Saturday 120/83, pulse 73
    Sunday 111/89, pulse 89

Week's Average for second reading: 122/88, pulse 81

My pressures when I was diagosed with hypertension were 200/100...I am no longer taking any bp medication and I don't take any supplements (I've foregone my daily vitamin for the two weeks I'm doing the DASH Challenge).

Bethsheba

PS My pulse (and probably my diastolic) is higher than it was last fall but I believe it is because when the weather was warmer, I was active and outside (lawns, gardens, walking, etc). Aside from a 15 minute swim, I have been more or less housebound and do no exericse whatsover...not good, I know.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-18-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
    dmer
    (male)

dmer HB User
    Re: DASH Results, Week 1....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
    My pressures when I was diagosed with hypertension were 200/100...I am no longer taking any bp medication and I don't take any supplements (I've foregone my daily vitamin for the two weeks I'm doing the DASH Challenge).
    This is truly remarkable. If you don't mind sharing - when was the 200 / 100 diagnosed, what were you prescribed, how long did you take it.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmer View Post
    This is truly remarkable. If you don't mind sharing - when was the 200 / 100 diagnosed, what were you prescribed, how long did you take it.
    What you might find even more remarkable is that

1. In April/May 2007 my doctor told me that given my pressures, I would
    be taking medication for the rest of my life.

2. In April/May 2007 my doctor told me that he was doing me no favor
    by not prescribing a second medication to go with the first to control
    my blood pressure.

3. Despite gaining over 35 pounds on bp medications, my pressures are
    still lower now than they were on medication.

As for your questions...

I was diagnosed with hypertension in August 2003 and prescribed 25-50 mg of hydrochlorothiazide. In April of 2006 the hct was dropped and I was prescribed 20 mg of lisinopril. In August of 2006, the lisinopril was dropped and I was prescribed benicar/hct (40 mg of benicar and 25 mg of hct). In December 2007, the benicar/hct was dropped and I was prescribed 25 mg of atenolol. I stopped taking the atenolol, a beta blocker, cold turkey, , and when pressures jumped up (due to what I now suspect was rebound hypertension) I went in for a new prescription, 5-10 mg of norvasc (amlodipine). I stayed on this prescription for about 4 months when I stopped taking it due to sleep problems. I watched my pressures drop, about 20 points if I remember correctly, and I haven't been on meds since...my pressures have been in the pre hypertension category since and although risky, for me it is far less risky than the side effects I experienced on medication.

I've been telling people about the DASH food plan for the last year and have finally decided to listen to myself for a change and DO IT, ...

I'm surprised at the results for several reasons...first off, since being off meds, I've been eating more fruits and veggies, and not addiing salt to my foods so I didn't expect to see any change at all. The other surprise is how easy the foods are to prepare...so I'm pleased.

Now, if I could only start exercising and losing more weight....

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-19-2008 at 09:05 AM. Reason: put meds in correct chronological order

Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
    Now, if I could only start exercising and losing more weight....
    You are on the right track. You will get so used to eating vegetables instead of fattening snacks like chips, muffins or cookies you will not even miss them. Maybe you could get into the habit of walking your dog every day for half an hour. That would be so EASY. Just make it a point to go rain or shine. I sometimes wish I had a dog. I'd be out a lot more often. Walking is much easier and more enjoyable (for me) than any other form of exercise. Anyone can do it.

flowergirl

Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #5
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    ...You will get so used to eating vegetables instead of fattening snacks like chips, muffins or cookies you will not even miss them.
    Oh, I hope so, I LOVE veggies but I have to get in the habit of cooking them because I like them better that way...as for the goodies....that's going to be real hard as that habit is "hereditary" and goes back 3 or 4 generations, .

Quote:
    ... Maybe you could get into the habit of walking your dog every day for half an hour.
    She would LOVE that...but I don't like stopping at trees, I did bring the car to the garage yesterday morning, left the car there, and walked home with her. Last night the old pressures were 107/84 so it's something I need to do...it's the only way (well, that and lose weight!) I'm going to get that diastolic on the perfect "8" "0".

Thanks for the encouragement, FG!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-19-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Closed Thread