It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• enalapril for 3 weeks BP 175/85? headaches, toprol withdrawl?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
    Shelby_36
    (female)

Shelby_36 HB User
    enalapril for 3 weeks BP 175/85? headaches, toprol withdrawl?

Dr switched me to enalapril b.c toprol was no longer helping and now my BP is the highest its ever been on top. I've got to get this under control. Strong family history of stroke. She doubled my dose today. I hope it works. Willl I get more headaches when I up the dose or do you think the headaches I had when I started it were from quitting the toprol so fast?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: enalapril for 3 weeks BP 175/85? headaches, toprol withdrawl?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shelby_36 View Post
    Dr switched me to enalapril b.c toprol was no longer helping and now my BP is the highest its ever been on top. I've got to get this under control. Strong family history of stroke. She doubled my dose today. I hope it works. Willl I get more headaches when I up the dose or do you think the headaches I had when I started it were from quitting the toprol so fast?
    Shelby,

Did you quit the toprol suddenly about 3 weeks ago? If so, you're probably dealing with rebound hypertension (a temporary condition) which is what can happen if you stop a beta blocker without slowly weaning off of it...I have no personal experience with toprol but others on this board do have or have had experience with it. I will say that I think your headaches are still a result of the toprol (if you did indeed stop taking it in the last 3-6 weeks).

That said, I would hope others would be able to address the issue of the doubled dose of your new rx...personally, I would be concerned that if your pressures return to their "normal" hypertension range, the doubled dose may then be too much...but I don't know. You might want to check with your pharmacist about this...doctors don't always know...especially the ones who say it is ok to stop a beta blocker cold turkey.

Bethsheba

Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: enalapril for 3 weeks BP 175/85? headaches, toprol withdrawl?

Right on, Beth!

The headache can be either a side effect of Enalapril or a residual headache resulting from your beta blocker withdrawal or rebound hypertension - hard to tell. Strangely, one of the unlabeled uses of Enalapril is a prevention of MIGRAINES. One of its adverse effects are headaches, according to my drug book.
    In any case, I hope you won't have to put up with it much longer! If your now higher dose doesn't treat your hypertension to goal, ask about lowering it and adding a low dose of diuretic.

flowergirl

Closed Thread