It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Going off a beta to Norvasc... Please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
    JoannLF
    (female)

JoannLF HB User
    Question Going off a beta to Norvasc... Please help!

I have a Dr's appt. this Wends. I have been on labetalol for 2 months now. At first I was on 50 mg twice a day then for a month have been on 100 mg twice a day. I do not like this pill at all. It makes me feel like I am drunk or something and when my blood work came back my sugar was slightly high, which I believe to be caused by this pill. I have been doing a lot of research and seen it was 50% more likely to cause diabetes. My mom was on Norvasc several years. I have looked it up and I am requesting that my dr switch me to that. How risky is it going off betas after only being on them two months? I have only took a 100 mg in the morning then 50 mg at night for two days, trying to gradually lower it. How long should I gradually lower it? I seen that there was a high risk of things to get worse after going off of these so that has me concerned. My blood pressure was staying about 160/110 when I wasn't on them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
    JoannLF
    (female)

JoannLF HB User
    Re: Going off a beta to Norvasc... Please help!

Another note... The beta has drastically reduced my bp. Normally it has been 120's over 70's or 80's at sitting rate when it was 160/110 or higher, but the diabetes part really is why I want off of these. I am hoping a calcium channel blocker will keep it low, but I'm worried. So any advice on if there is another kind maybe I should ask on please let me know.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi Joanne,

Quote:
    I have been on labetalol for 2 months now. At first I was on 50 mg twice a day then for a month have been on 100 mg twice a day. I do not like this pill at all. It makes me feel like I am drunk or something and when my blood work came back my sugar was slightly high, which I believe to be caused by this pill. I have been doing a lot of research and seen it was 50% more likely to cause diabetes. My mom was on Norvasc several years. I have looked it up and I am requesting that my dr switch me to that. How risky is it going off betas after only being on them two months? I have only took a 100 mg in the morning then 50 mg at night for two days, trying to gradually lower it. How long should I gradually lower it? I seen that there was a high risk of things to get worse after going off of these so that has me concerned. My blood pressure was staying about 160/110 when I wasn't on them
    You are not likely to have difficulties with the withdrawal. Your dose is low and you've only been on Labetalol for two months. I was on 800mg and Fam takes 1800mg I think though I cannot imagine how she manages. Maximum recommended daily dose is 1200mg.
    I am glad you are seeing your doctor tomorrow. Make sure to ask him for guidance and also ask what (if any) symptoms you might experience. He will probably tell you he doesn't anticipate any problems.
    I wonder if Norvasc alone will be able to bring your blood pressure down to an acceptable level. I don't know if it is capable of bringing about a reduction in blood pressure of 40/30mmHg. I doubt it. Remember, Labetalol is a combination of TWO drugs, an alpha and a beta blocker. You might need an additional medication, such as a low dose of a diuretic. I think that a diuretic or another antihypertensive combined with a low dose of the CCB would be preferrable to just a high dose of a calcium channel blocker. Sounds like Norvasc has worked well for your mom! I am glad you have informed yourself about its possible side-effects. They are dose-related, by the way.

Good luck,
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-25-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
    JoannLF
    (female)

JoannLF HB User

Wow! Those are some high doses. Could the diabetes be more related to dosage as well? That was the main reason I was thinking I should go off these. When I heard my sugar was slightly high it worried me. I don't know what foods can raise sugar levels, but I need to do research on that and try to avoid them. I had to go to the er over my bp and the dr there was the one who first prescribed these pills to me. He said it was a new drug and would lower it faster. I'm kinda torn between which way to go here esp. if Norvasc doesn't lower it that many mmhg's. I thought I would ask on here and get some info since my doctor doesn't seem to be one that cares to listen to what I say. I want to go to someone else after this time. She just sits there and doesn't seem to listen at all. I could talk to the wall and get more response lol.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Joanne,

Quote:
    Could the diabetes be more related to dosage as well? That was the main reason I was thinking I should go off these. When I heard my sugar was slightly high it worried me. I don't know what foods can raise sugar levels, but I need to do research on that and try to avoid them.
    As it happens, I have the exact same concerns. My medication is affecting my insulin resistance and glucose levels and pushing me into a prediabetic range.

The two antihypertensive drugs known to affect glucose levels substantially are the diuretics - Hctz and beta blockers. I think too much of any sweet fruit can affect our glucose levels. My friend was told by her dietitian that even two mandarin oranges are too much for a person with these concerns and that she should only have one a day. I guess we should stay away from fruits with a high sugar content. I haven't done any reading about these things so don't know much for sure.

A great article on this topic to read is titled: Predictors of new onset diabetes identified in patients with hypertension published on February 18th.
    Hypertension is a risk factor for diabetes mellitus. This risk is further affected by antihypertensive medication. The medications with the least impact on this risk of incident diabetes are the ACE inhibitors and ARBs and CCBs.

You should read it.
    Good luck,
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 02-26-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

Hi Joann,

There is a new pill approved by the FDA in Sept 2007, combining two very well known medications. The pill combines NORVASC (Calcium Blocker)and BENICAR (Angiotensin Blocker). The pill is called "AZOR". BENICAR is suppose to be excellent for kidney protection, and improve artery function for diabetics. NORVASC helps lower the blood pressure even more. I think even BENICAR (alone), which is suppose to be one of the more powerful and effective 24 hour medications (according to research and Holistic Vitamin magazines) will probably lower your blood pressure taken alone. The "Angiotensin Blockers" or "Ace Inhibitors" are very closely related drugs and either ones are known to be the best for Diabetics. The drugs include other pills such as "MICARDIS", "COZAAR", "DIOVAN", "ALTACE" etc....

NOTE: The drug "MICARDIS" (according to Research) is suppose to be the best drug to prevent diabetes and improve symptoms. The pill has a unique property which I believe is called PPAR-gamma for insulin/glucose improvement and diabetes..

<removed>

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-29-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: do not instruct members to do outside searches

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    NOTE: The drug "MICARDIS" (according to Research) is suppose to be the best drug to prevent diabetes and improve symptoms. The pill has a unique property which I believe is called PPAR-gamma for insulin/glucose improvement and diabetes
    Micardis is probably a very effective drug for those who can tolerate it. I tried both Micardis and Diovan from the Angiotensin receptor antagonist group of antihypertensive meds last year. I had bad reactions to both.
    Like ACE inhibiors, ARBs help protect the kidneys from diabetic nephropathy and slow down the progression of kidney disease. They are great for people with renal problems who cannot tolerate ACE inhibitors due to angioedema and need this type of a drug. It would be nice to hear from someone who's been taking it. I read that it is possible for a person to become able to tolerate a medication, previously untolerable, the second time it is tried. I'd be willing test this theory in the future, if another blood pressure drug or a med change is needed.

flowergirl

Old 03-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
    gayle123
    (female)

gayle123 HB User

Yes, my doc just put me on Azor 5mg/40mg last week. The benicar alone was good but for me it did not lower my pressure enough.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Gayle,

This is the first time I heard about Azor.
    It is an interesting and a very powerful combination of medications. The FDA announced its approval of this drug in September of last year. It is manufactured by Dalichi Sankyo Inc., a subsidiary of a largest Japanese pharmaceutical company, based in NJ.
    In clinical trials Azor 10/40 -a combination of Amlodipine and Olmesartan- reduced blood pressure by an average of 30.1/19.0mmHg. When a 10mg dose of Amlodipine was used alone, the blood pressure reduction was 19.7/12.7mmHg. Your combination drug is sure to bring your blood pressure to desired levels. Thanks for the update and good luck with your treatment!

flowergirl

Closed Thread