It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• worried about stopping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #16
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User
    Re: worried about stopping

hiya marantz ....and i too have the problem at home doing my bp readings....like today because Ive been really anxious this last three days my bp today was 143/70 ..highest 156/73 with my pulse going between 53-61...and that's me keeping myself calmish....because i dont want anti-anxiety meds Ive been using for the last 2-months rescue remedy ....for going out but have been using it for in the house as well .....i will one day have to tell you my story of how Ive got to this state ..oh and before i forget i suffer terrible panic most mornings have done for years ...youll be getting fed up of me soon lol...my constant moaning .

sally.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    I also became paranoid and very anxious for no rational reason. I attribute all of it to the beta blocker. What was my (former) doctors response? Go on antidepressants!
    It figures. My doctor too has pills for everything and hands them out freely. It is up to his patients to refuse these drugs if they feel the drugs are not appropriate or essential in treating a particular problem. (I have done this myself several times). Prescribing a pain reliever without any attempt to determine the source of pain will not take care of the underlying problem. It is equivalent to masking the symptom of a potentially serious problem with a band-aid.
    For this reason I think the best thing for us,the patients, to do is to take the same approach as our health care professionals when the need arises for a drug therapy or the use of supplements. They research the available options and medication thoroughly before deciding on one to try.

This is precisely what one of the young pharmacists I sometimes talk to does. An extensive knowledge of drugs nothwithstanding, she does even more detailed research, comparing the different brands of the same medication or supplement available before selecting one for her own use. Most of us don't have the necessary knowledge and resources for making this determination. There's a lesson to be learned though: we should be very careful about using any drugs and learn as much as we can about them prior to starting the therapy. All of them are toxic to us at certain levels. Some less than others. The key is to find the ones that are "right" for us.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-16-2008 at 01:18 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 AM   #18
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    My doctor too has pills for everything and hands them out freely.
    Hi FG,

My doctor 'suggested' on three occasions that I take antidepressants. Each time I said no. I told him I only want to take that medication I have to take and even then preferably on reduced amounts.

As regards the research, I went straight on line after collecting my prescription for Micardis. Some side effects being reported alright, but so far my experience is good.

I went staright of Atenolol and onto Micardis the following day, so I'm weaning of one pill and getting used to another at the same time.

Marantz.

PS, Happy St Patrick's Day

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-17-2008 at 12:57 AM.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #19
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sally47 View Post
    hiya marantz ....and i too have the problem at home doing my bp readings....like today because Ive been really anxious this last three days my bp today was 143/70 ..highest 156/73 with my pulse going between 53-61...and that's me keeping myself calmish....because i dont want anti-anxiety meds Ive been using for the last 2-months rescue remedy ....for going out but have been using it for in the house as well .....i will one day have to tell you my story of how Ive got to this state ..oh and before i forget i suffer terrible panic most mornings have done for years ...youll be getting fed up of me soon lol...my constant moaning .

sally.....
    Hi Sally,

You know the more I read your posts and the more I think about my short time on Atenolol (since last November), the more I'm convinced that drug is simply making your anxiety ten times worse than what it might normally be. I know your afraid of trying another drug for fear of the side effects, but I really don't think they'll be as bad as what you experiencing right now with Atenolol. Tell your doctor you want to come off beta blockers and want to try something else. This is what I have done. My only regret is not having done it much sooner.

How long are you taking Atenolol?

Marantz.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 AM   #20
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

hello marantz .well last night i had palpitations that lasted for about an hour ...(really upsetting ) then this morning had them again when i got up also had terrible anxiety ...both have settled a bit ....phoned doctor about 10 minutes ago explained was told...if they wont settle down go back on full dose and come down in a couple of days ....i was meant to me reducing the dose today to 12% mgs but dont know what to to now .....think ill phone the chemist and ask the pharmacist ....am now scared and not sure what to do ...need to go wee boy going to school...

sally....

Old 03-17-2008, 02:50 AM   #21
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sally47 View Post
    hello marantz .well last night i had palpitations that lasted for about an hour ...(really upsetting ) then this morning had them again when i got up also had terrible anxiety ...both have settled a bit ....phoned doctor about 10 minutes ago explained was told...if they wont settle down go back on full dose and come down in a couple of days ....i was meant to me reducing the dose today to 12% mgs but dont know what to to now .....think ill phone the chemist and ask the pharmacist ....am now scared and not sure what to do ...need to go wee boy going to school...

sally....
    Morning Sally and Happy St Patrick's Day.

Here's the thing regarding the palpitations, since switching from Atenolol to Micardis, my heart pounding and anxiety have lessened considerably. Maybe it's all in my mind, but I really do feel more normal. My heart feels 'soft' in my chest. It's a strange, but nice feeling.

My own palpitations (heart racing and pounding), use to stay with me all day. Some nights they kept me awake. And like you, I'd wake up in a panic for no reason. BTW, since going on the new pills, this seems to have lessened too! Can a drug have such an impact in a few days?

Try an suffer on until you see your GP, but I'd seriously consider switching medication, unless something prevents your doctor from doing that.

Marantz.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 AM   #22
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
    ... What was my (former) doctors response? Go on antidepressants!...
    Well Marantz, you're not alone. How many people on these boards are taking antidepressants, anti anxiety meds, pain killers, acid reflux meds, asthma meds, etc., etc, because doctors refuse to acknowledge or identify the side effects of blood pressure medication? it makes me so very, very angry.

I am glad you are off of the atenolol!

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-17-2008 at 04:09 AM.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 AM   #23
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    ...the more I'm convinced that drug is simply making your anxiety ten times worse than what it might normally be. I know your afraid of trying another drug for fear of the side effects, but I really don't think they'll be as bad as what you experiencing right now with Atenolol. Tell your doctor you want to come off beta blockers and want to try something else. This is what I have done. My only regret is not having done it much sooner....Marantz.
    Yes, I definitely agree!

Bethsheba

Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post

I am glad you are off of the atenolol
    Thanks Beth, hope all is well with you.

Ya, feeling better overall. I feel calmer and more settled. Mood is better too. Strikingly, my sleep is better in that I'm not waking up too early or in a panic state. Maybe it's a coincidence. I hope it continues.

I'm presently taking 40 mg of the Micardis daily. As you probably know Beth, Micardis comes with and without a diuretic. I'm on the latter.

Values are good also.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-17-2008 at 04:41 AM.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 AM   #25
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    ...Ya, feeling better overall. I feel calmer and more settled. Mood is better too. Strikingly, my sleep is better in that I'm not waking up too early or in a panic state. Maybe it's a coincidence. I hope it continues....Marantz.
    Oh, it's good to hear you are feeling better. I immediately felt better when stopping the atenolol cold turkey but it did take several weeks to get out of my system. I'm not at all surprised that your sleep is better!!! I know I have sleep apnea, but I never had so many sleep problems as when I was on meds...sometimes it was just sleepiness, sometimes fatigue, but often it was waking up the same time every night and not getting back to sleep until am.

But I suspect you will continue to do well...but do rule out the apnea...if you have it cpap treatment could drop your pressures 10 points or more and that's enough to be med free for some people.

Bethsheba

Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #26
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Thanks for your comments Beth. I will definitely look into the sleep apnea with my 'new' doctor.

The improvement in sleep was really noticeable to me. While I can still wake up, it feels that it's only for a moment and then I turn over. That's more like my usual self. I'm not a solid, deep sleeper, but this thing of being shocked awake at 4 am was a whole new ball game to me. This morning I slept straight through to 7.30 am, with only a trip to the little boy's room at 2 am. I'm happy with tha

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-17-2008 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #27
    AtenololUser
    (male)

AtenololUser HB User

Quote:
    Well Marantz, you're not alone. How many people on these boards are taking antidepressants, anti anxiety meds, pain killers, acid reflux meds, asthma meds, etc., etc, because doctors refuse to acknowledge or identify the side effects of blood pressure medication? it makes me so very, very angry.

I am glad you are off of the atenolol!

Bethsheba
    Wow, I am on Atenolol and have been diagnosed with all of these! I used to be on 200 Mgs a day, down to 50 Mgs now, things are better than they were, but I believe the medicine nearly killed me. I had to make the correlation myself, my Doctor said, "I thought it may have been the medicine too" If he thought so, why didn't he say something!!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #28
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtenololUser View Post
    I used to be on 200 Mgs a day........but I believe the medicine nearly killed me.
    Hi, I was on a 'mild' dose of 50mg a day, I cannot even imagine what 200mg a day is like .

Well done on making the connection yourself.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-17-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hi, I was on a 'mild' dose of 50mg a day, I cannot even imagine what 200mg a day is like . Marantz.
    I was on an even "milder" dose of 25 mg/day and came within hours of killing myself...not something I like to talk about but it's the truth. It was the out of the blue suicidal tendencies that made me quit atenolol---something told me it was the medication. Atenolol, in my opinion, is a very dangerous drug...they all are, but atenolol in particular.

And atenolol user, just for your info, recommended initial dosage for atenolol is 50mg and if if an optimal effect isn't achieved in 1-2 weeks, dosage can be increased UP TO 100 MG per day. Your doctor had no business increasing your dosage to 200 mg/day!!! It just goes to show how very, very, very important it is for us to read about the drug BEFORE we fill the prescription!!!

And it also goes to show that we can't "trust" our doctors to know what's best...we have to check it out first and constantly question, question, question.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-17-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #30
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    It was the out of the blue suicidal tendencies that made me quit atenolol---something told me it was the medication....... Atenolol, in my opinion, is a very dangerous drug...
    I remember Beth, when first taking Atenolol, I used to get what I can only describe as 'waves' of intense depression.First, the feeling of depression would come about suddenly. It would last only a few minutes, which is strange in itself, and would be unbelievably intense. I've never felt anything like it.

I read on-line about a doctor explaining to his patient about the effects of beta blockers on the bodies adrenaline. As you know, it blocks adrenaline, but this blockage in turn, causes depression. Mystery solved I guess.

And yes Beth, I think the limit is 100mg a day of Atenolol. I know I read that somewhere during my research.

Marantz.

Closed Thread