It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• worried about stopping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #31
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User
    Re: worried about stopping

hello marantz ...according to my gp the maximum dose of atenolol is 100mgs in 24 hours ...you were talking about a wave of depression with the atenolol...i felt my mood change within 1-2 hours of taking it and most mornings when i waken i have a feeling which i can only describe as doom/gloom feeling.....and Ive suffered with gastric reflux for the past 7-8 years and TERRIBLE sinus problems the same time .

bethsheba i looked at the lisinopril ...its writes at the bottom of instructions caution-- doctors may want to check kidney function ..potassium levels at the beginning and during treatment ..40mgs is the maximum dose to be given ..low dose can be given to patients with kidney problems monitoring must take place ..

marantz phoned the doctor and pharmacist both said to stop 50mgs of atenolol and split the other 50mgs into 25mgs twice a day ...so ill give it a go ..both said that they thought my palpitations were caused by my anxiety
    so fingers crossed. i see by your post that you seem to be doing well with your switch of tablets ..congrats and may it continue .

sally......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
    ...I read on-line about a doctor explaining to his patient about the effects of beta blockers on the bodies adrenaline. As you know, it blocks adrenaline, but this blockage in turn, causes depression. Mystery solved I guess....Marantz.
    That is interesting!! For some reason I find comfort in knowing that at least SOMEONE understands why these things are happening to us!

And by the way, Marantz, Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too!

Bethsheba

Old 03-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #33
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sally47 View Post
    ...i felt my mood change within 1-2 hours of taking it and most mornings when i waken i have a feeling which i can only describe as doom/gloom feeling.....and Ive suffered with gastric reflux for the past 7-8 years and TERRIBLE sinus problems the same time....
    Yes, it doesn't surprise me that you experienced changes within a couple of hours of taking the med...in addition to the gloom/doom, did you experience an "I don't feel like doing a darn thing" kind of feeling? Do you think the gastric problems and sinus problems are related tot he atenolol? I had horrible respiratory problems with it but I can't remember if there were sinus problems as well.

Quote:
    ...doctors may want to check kidney function ..potassium levels at the beginning and during treatment ..40mgs is the maximum dose to be given ..low dose can be given to patients with kidney problems monitoring must take place
    Well that's interesting!!

Quote:
    ...both said that they thought my palpitations were caused by my anxiety
    so fingers crossed. ....
    Sally, I'm not so sure they are correct in saying this...if you experience changes in your chest, you may want to taper slower than they recommend.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-17-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #34
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

hi bethsheba ...i think it maybe was anxiety ..when it comes to health i do get my self in a state ....and i was diagnosed with health anxiety ..Ive never had any more palpitations since i got up this morning i took 25mgs of atenolol earlier today and ill take the other 25 before i go to bed ...ill do it there way just now but if the palpitations start and i think its not anxiety doctor said go back up to full dose and go in to see her and see what they can do ...i just hate taking pills of any kind bethsheba ....i take reactions to some painkillers and antibiotics ...im also allergic to all penicillin since i was a baby.... thank you so much for your concern and ill let you know how i do .

sally....

Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #35
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    hi bethsheba ...i think it maybe was anxiety ....
    Sally, you know your body better than anyone else...and it sounds like you're listening to it, so that's good. I just wanted to give you some insights, because I had chest "pains" after I stopped taking that med and I had never had chest pains before.

Quote:
    ...i just hate taking pills of any kind bethsheba ....i take reactions to some painkillers and antibiotics ...im also allergic to all penicillin since i was a baby...
    Me, too, Sally! And thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us. Afterall, we have so much in common...

Take care! And please keep us posted....some of us deal with anxiety and some of us are just plain worriers, . We want to know that you're doing ok.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-19-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #36
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:

..both said that they thought my palpitations were caused by my anxiety
    so fingers crossed.
    I agree that your anxiety will cause palpitations, but I'd wager the beta blocker is making it a lot worse. Here's the thing with me: after only four days off Atenolol and on my new medication, my anxiety has lessened considerably. Maybe it my mind that has convinced me of this.

You mentioned a sinus problem. For the last week I have been suffering with what I diagnosed a a sinus cold. It started last Sunday and while the cold part of it is gone, the sinus part remains. Oddly, I never really get colds, much less sinus ones. I wonder can I attribute to our good friend, Atenolol. I've also have an itchy cough for over a month. Kinda makes more sense.

Marantz.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #37
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marantz1935 View Post
    .... For the last week I have been suffering with what I diagnosed a a sinus cold. It started last Sunday and while the cold part of it is gone, the sinus part remains. Oddly, I never really get colds, much less sinus ones. I wonder can I attribute to our good friend, Atenolol. I've also have an itchy cough for over a month. Kinda makes more sense.

Marantz.
    I experienced what I would call severe respiratory distress several weeks after discontinuing atenolol. I have never experienced distress of this nature before being on the med, nor since that time. I can't help but think that I may have some allergies and that atenolol only magnified my problems.

Bethsheba

Old 03-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #38
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I also believe your sinus problems could have been caused by your medication. I've had similar problems for months, always sounding as one with a cold, barely able to talk on the phone. I couldn't count the times I was offered cough drops for my "cold" . I also have runny eyes, hoarse voice and other symptoms. These problems are clearly a side effect of one or more of my medications. Since I take one from each antihypertensive drug class, it's hard to tell which one(s) may be causing this. I would imagine these symptoms resolve once the medication is discontinued. Of course, my doctor suggested we treat this with yet another medication.

As Beth suggested, some meds exacerbate an existing condition, some help create a new one.

flowergirl

Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #39
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    ...some meds exacerbate an existing condition, some help create a new one....
    That sums it up well, flowergirl.

Bethsheba

Old 03-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #40
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

hiya ...an update ..had to phone the doctor again been having the most horrendous anxiety attacks more than normal....the doctor i spoke to said i should not have just stopped the atenolol (just like that ) but told her the other doctor said different ...up to now im having panic attacks ..mild palpitations (not a lot)...done my bp readings "normal "my pulse between 61 when im camish 69 with anxiety ...anyway doctor said if anxiety does not settle down in a few days to come in and see one of them ....wait for it........the doctors i spoke to friday and yesterday DID NOT even log in my records that i had stopped atenolol ...hows that for N.H.S ..also atenolol only has a 12 hour life so am taking the other 50mgs as 2x 25mgs a day ...did you guys feel any anxiety while withdrawing from atenolol ?.....maybe its me getting out of control again .....i hope you are all doing well .

sally.......

Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #41
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    I also believe your sinus problems could have been caused by your medication.
    Thanks FG and Beth,

I haven't had a cold like this since I was a kid and when I do get them, it's only a bit of sneezing for a couple of days.

I'm between two meds at the moment, so I'll need to wait till one wears off and the other kicks in to see do things improve.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-18-2008 at 08:30 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:28 AM   #42
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    ...did you guys feel any anxiety while withdrawing from atenolol ?
    Hi,

I'm on day 4 of withdrawing from Atenol, but the only symptom I feel at the more is I'm a bit down.It might be the sinus cold just making me miserable though.

Marantz.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #43
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sally, I really think those horrendous anxiety attacks may be due to the rapid withdrawal you are experiencing from the med (in other words, I don't think "you" are causing them)...doesn't surprise me about the doctors differing in opinions. I think sometimes, that we patients, are the only ones that can agree and that's because we've taken the meds!!

Quote:
    ...the doctors i spoke to friday and yesterday DID NOT even log in my records that i had stopped atenolol ...
    That's negligence, would be worthy of a lawsuit.

Quote:
    ..also atenolol only has a 12 hour life so am taking the other 50mgs as 2x 25mgs a day
    Your comment about a 12 hour (half?) life concerns me quite a bit...just because the drug's half life (which is what I assume you meant) is only 12 hours, it doesn't mean it can't stay in your body longer....and even if it doesn't stay in your body longer, side effects can linger for hours, days, months, long after the drug is "gone' and some side effects can be permenant! My doctor never put me on a "time" out between meds...I went from one to the next with no transition period so I don't have answers for you...just warnings....the meds and the side effects linger and when you start a new med it complicates things..

Quote:
    ...did you guys feel any anxiety while withdrawing from atenolol
    I don't remember any but that's not to say it wasn't there...I had so many problems just trying to walk without falling, trying to see (I'm legally blind without glasses), and dealing with the depression, I may not have noticed anxiety. But again, Sally, I really, really don't think it is in your head.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-18-2008 at 08:49 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #44
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Quote:
    ...did you guys feel any anxiety while withdrawing from atenolol ?.....maybe its me getting out of control again
    This does not even begin to describe how I felt while withdrawing from 800mg of Labetalol.
    As you might know, beta blockers are used off-label for anxiety. Performers are often prescribed these pills to take as temporary measures to decrease their stage fright. Though they are not FDA approved for treating anxiety specifically, they are often used off-label for this pupose because they have been shown to effectively reduce it. It only makes sense that when withdrawing you should feel OVERLY anxious. I did too. Experiencing the other withdrawal symptoms, such as heart rhythm irregularities, at the same time is certain to increase the anxiety levels even further.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-18-2008 at 08:58 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #45
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

hello every one and thank you all for your comments ...i just popped in to say my anxiety seems to have settled down ..it always does a few hours after taking atenolol ....just found out recently that they use atenolol for anxiety attacks ....the anxiety i felt this afternoon ..i have not felt like that for over two years i was really bad with them after my mum and dad died ...i forgot how bad they can get ...i was thinking that maybe the withdrawal wont be really bad cause im still taking 50mgs a day of atenolol ?...

Beth ...i read my post and Ive not explained myself ..the pharmacist said that atenolol has a life of 12 hours and im sure she said lisinopril has a life of 24 hours ...she said to take 25mgs then 25mgs 12 hours later ...but like you i believe it stays in the your system a lot longer than 12 hours ...ill keep you up to date and thank you all again for your replies and support ((big hugs )) to you all .

sally......

Closed Thread