It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• worried about stopping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User
    worried about stopping

hello everyone ,have been on atenolol for nine years and lisinopril ?spelling) for 4-5 years for H.B.P ,also suffered with severe anxiety the last couple of year (dont take any meds for anxiety ) for two years up until 3 months ago activity in my life was zero as i would not go out over the last three months have became more active in the house and started going out again ,have been doing home bp readings for my doctor for the last 18 months but have recently notice that my pulse was getting low 53-61 then the last two weeks pulse has gotten as low as 48 and my bp low as well ,doctor said to reduce my atenolol by one 50mgs a day (take 100mgs a day) no weaning off just stop ,should i really be doing that after taking it for nine years ,last night i decided to take have for three days then quarter for three days then stop!!
    what do you guys think should i do what im going do ?

thank you ..........sally

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User
    Re: worried about stopping

Hi Sally,

I too was recently taking Atenolol (50mg), and like you was asked to just abruptly reduce my dose by half without 'weaning off'. The following morning I got this severe chest pain (angina, I think). Anything I have learned about someone coming off beta blockers always strongly advise a tapering off period. I think that's what you want to do anyway.

BTW, congrats on your BP reduction.

As for your heart rate, I was getting 48 bpm also. No wonder I was zonked! My rate is now back up to a respectable 73 bpm.

I recently changed medication, and already I feel more alert and energetic - bar the head cold

Regards,

Marantz.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

thank you marantz for your reply ,i really did not fancy stopping atenolol just like that so ill do half tonight and tomorrow then a quarter for three days and hopefully that will do it . ive never felt good taking atenolol and when i think back thats when i started to have real problems with anxiety (due to all the symptoms which i know is atenolol ) anyway thanks and ill let you know how i go .

sally.....

Old 03-15-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

No problem.

As regards anxiety, I am convinced the Atenolol made matters worse. I am a bit anxious by nature, but nowhere as bad as I became on this medication. I am now on Micardis, and I feel somewhat better.

IMHO, Atenolol is unsuitable for treating hypertension.

Keep in touch.

Marantz.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Hi Sally,

When I read your first post my thought was that atenolol was causing the anxiety...but you beat me to it! Anxiety and nervousness are listed as "less serious" side effects. I doubt that anyone experiencing these side effects would consider them "less serious"...but given the severity of depression (listed as "changes in mood" under "serious side effects", I suppose anxiety can be taken lightly, .

I, too, think it would be wise to taper off of your 50 mg of atenolol. I stopped my low dose cold turkey but believe I experienced rebound hypertension as a result. You might want to check with a pharmacist to see if you are tapering slow enough. Otherwise there are some old posts here with detailed taper info on atenolol.

Marantz and I are not the only ones who think atenolol should not be prescribed for hypertension. Seems some members of the medical community are beginning to see the light.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-17-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #6
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

hello bethsheba ... Ive starting reducing since last night so ill carry on !!! hoping every thing will be all right ...Ive been telling my doctor for years that i never feel right after taking atenolol but if your upright and walking then your ok as far as doctors are concerned ... i get all sorts of side effects with them the worst for me is the vision problems.... and yes i do get mood changes about an hour or so after taking it ......but its my pulse thats running low just now and the bottom number on bp reading ......doctor thinks its fine but i feel my body cant tolerate the heart going so slow making me feel unwell which starts off my anxiety so im going round in circles .... i do hope that in a week or so ill feel the benefit of this drug being reduce ...thank you for your help .... i look forward to chatting to you again ..take care .

sally......

Old 03-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

Quote:
    Anxiety and nervousness are listed as "less serious" side effects. I doubt that anyone experiencing these side effects would consider them "less serious"...but given the severity of depression (listed as "changes in mood" under "serious side effects", I suppose anxiety can be taken lightly, .
    Why don't they just give us all the facts about the potential serious side effects instead of downplaying them and thus leaving patients uprepared for drug-related problems down the road? We shouldn't have to guess what some of the listed side effects mean!
    One of my meds has "GI distress" listed as a possible side effect. One has to use several sources to try and figure out what it might mean and how bad things could get. I didn't see the need to search for more information about that until I started to be "distressed". I guess I know what they meant NOW.
    I deeply resent something as serious as a depression being referred to or described as simply mood changes. That's not descriptive enough and does not provide enough of a warning for a potential user. Unfortunately, this is just one of many examples of understating the seriousness of some of the potential side effects of medication. One does not have to think very hard to figure out the reasons behind this.

flowergirl

Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sally47 View Post
    ...but if your upright and walking then your ok as far as doctors are concerned ...

sally......
    You got it in one Sally.

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-16-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:34 AM   #9
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

hi again ,hope you dont mind me asking ......but will i experience high bp readings with reducing the atenolol and how long do you think it takes to settle down for a proper reading ....why do doctors never explain these things .....sorry to be a nuisance but feel my anxiety playing up .

many thanks........sally

Old 03-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Hi again Sally.

Firstly, you are not being a nuisance. Secondly, I identify with your anxiety, so you are not alone there. This forum, and the members here, got me through my shock of having being diagnosed with HBP.

Ask as many questions as you need to. Believe me, I've got plenty of my own.

To answer the question about an increase in BP after weaning of Atenolol. It's my understanding that there can be a temporary elevation in BP. They call it 'rebound hypertension'. Ironically, I recently read that Atenolol actually increases the top number of BP values.

As regards the duration side of things, I'm guessing a couple of weeks, but I don't know for certain. Personally, I can't wait for the Atenolol to leave my own system.

Maybe the guys here can comment further.

Marantz.

Last edited by marantz1935; 03-16-2008 at 07:29 AM.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #11
    sally47
    (female)

sally47 HB User

thankyou marantz , i thought it might but was not really sure ... i get my self in such a state some time ... its not so much my bp rising its what new drug they will give me and how im going to react to it ....can you understand that because i know one of my doctors does not .. in the past its always been oh dear reply that makes me so mad ...plus the doctors have to go on my home readings as i can get my bp upto the highest (210/112) in the surgery ...forgot to say i have white coat hypertension ....i am scared but hopefully ill start feeling better in the mornings soon that's when i get all of my awful symptoms i start to feel better around 1.00 - 2.00 pm ...its a long time to wait .....thank you so much for you reply its very much appreciated.

sally......

Old 03-16-2008, 07:55 AM   #12
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Hello everyone!! I've got limited time so wil try to cover what I can for the time being. Sally, Marantz summed up my thoughts about your statement regarding "upright and walking"....I had a horribly long day yesterday and to undwind I read a few posts only to come across your doctor's interpretation of your health...I must have "hooted" for about 15 minutes...thank you for putting some laughter in my life after a very stressful day, .

I especially appreciate your comment on vision changes...although a few posters have experienced this side effect (FG, if I recall you had some experiences with vision changes, too), it is not brought up very much on the boards. I suspect many people don't realize the medication may be making their vision blurry...I certainly didn't until I had to use glasses that I wore before I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. And as I've said, 4 doctors told me it wasn't the meds...but I'm seeing "vision changes" or "blurry vision" on more drug info as we go along. Interesting, too, that it's a side effect of some of the meds they advertise on TV.

As far as "rebound hypertension" goes, I'm pretty sure that's what I experienced on atenolol when I went cold turkey...2-3 weeks after I disco'd my pressures shot up (systolic was over 160, can't remember what the diastolic was) and that's what made me go into my doctor for the 5 med to try....he didn't say anything about it possibly being rebound, but I doubt that he knows what rebound is...he didn't acknowledge/recognize any of my side effects on meds, afterall. So what I'm saying is that although I believe I've experienced it, I really have nothing to offer except it was 2-3 weeks after I stopped taking it that my numbers shot up there.

As far as "why do these doctors "never explain these things"...here are my best guesses...

1. They are poorly trained in the detection, treatment, and management of hypertension.
    2. If they are knowledgeable, they don't want to take the time...the more patients they see, the more lucrative their business (and yes, it is a BUSINESS).
    3. At one time in medicine/psychology, there was a belief in the power of suggestion...in other words, if a physician mentioned symptoms, the patient would automatically get the symptoms mentioned. I've got alot to say on this topic, so I had better stop now.

Take care, Sally! And welcome to the boards!!!! I am so very sorry we didn't welcome you properly...but you are very welcome here.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 03-26-2008 at 06:40 AM.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #13
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    ...Why don't they just give us all the facts about the potential serious side effects instead of downplaying them and thus leaving patients uprepared for drug-related problems down the road? We shouldn't have to guess what some of the listed side effects mean!
    One of my meds has "GI distress" listed as a possible side effect. One has to use several sources to try and figure out what it might mean and how bad things could get. I didn't see the need to search for more information about that until I started to be "distressed". I guess I know what they meant NOW.
    I deeply resent something as serious as a depression being referred to or described as simply mood changes. That's not descriptive enough and does not provide enough of a warning for a potential user. Unfortunately, this is just one of many examples of understating the seriousness of some of the potential side effects of medication. One does not have to think very hard to figure out the reasons behind this.
    Flowergirl, this is exactly how I feel!!!!!! You have hit the nail on the head...I might come back when I have time and ask for your permission to send this essay on to the powers that be as it says it all regarding side effects on the med sheets.

Bethsheba

Old 03-16-2008, 11:33 AM   #14
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    I deeply resent something as serious as a depression being referred to or described as simply mood changes.
    flowergirl
    Hi FG,

When taking Atenolol, I had very bad what I can only describe as 'waves of depression' I have a history of this condition, but I can tell you I never experienced it on this scale. I also became paranoid and very anxious for no rational reason. I attribute all of it to the beta blocker. What was my (former) doctors response? Go on antidepressants!

Marantz.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
    marantz1935
    (male)

marantz1935 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sally47 View Post
    ... its not so much my bp rising its what new drug they will give me and how im going to react to it ....can you understand that.....
    Hi Sally,

Again I can relate. It's true that all drugs have side effects, but some have nastier ones than others. So your fears are justified. When I first started taking Atenolol, I thought a bus hit me!, such was the impact. I'm on day two of a new medication and so far I feel OK. Don't be afraid to try another drug Sally, if it means you'll feel better in your self. I think you don't like the idea of medication messing with your system - a fear I have also.

You mention WCH. Not only did I have it in the doctors surgery, I also had it at home during the two weeks I brought home the doctors BP monitor.

Good luck,

Marantz.

Closed Thread