It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• how long does it take for beta blocker to take effect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
    Re: how long does it take for beta blocker to take effect?

Hi Machaon,

It's great to have such drugs available for those who need them. How exciting to see your perfect blood pressure levels! Coreg truly sounds like a wonder drug. I am very interested in any (new and old) information about the drugs I have to take. There's always something new I come across. I read one report about beta blockers last night that was 8 pages long, written by a cardio expert. Very interesting. I printed that one out! The way I see it - if I have to remain on a beta blocker, I might as well get the best one there is. I want to get myself well informed before discussing it with my doctor. The only problem I can see with this particular one might be its non-selectivity, thus possible bronchospasms when the beta2 receptors in the bronchi and smooth muscle elsewhere are affected. If you don't mind me asking, how have you managed you breathing? How has it been on Coreg? How was it prior to Coreg? Too many questions, I know. Some of us are still learning how to best adjust to a long-term multidrug therapy and can use all the tips we can get. Thanks for sharing!

flowergirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    ... I am very interested in any (new and old) information about the drugs I have to take. There's always something new I come across. I read one report about beta blockers last night that was 8 pages long, written by a cardio expert. Very interesting. I printed that one out!
    I wish more patients understood, like you do, that they have to be proactive, and not take their doctor's word as gospel. Research, research..... research!

As far as research goes, there is also a lot that can be learned from the posts of other patients, here on Healthboards. What a great source of information! You won't get the kind of information at the doctor's office that you can get here!

Quote:
    The way I see it - if I have to remain on a beta blocker, I might as well get the best one there is. I want to get myself well informed before discussing it with my doctor.
    I have three approaches for finding out which medication is best:
    1. Doing research.
    2. Do I feel better when taking a new medication?
      • If I don't feel better...... if I get increased blood pressure, or increased chest pains, palpitations, fatigue, I won't take the medication.
        • The exception to this was when Coreg increased my blood pressure for ten days. I wanted to get on Coreg very badly, so I was willing to tolerate increased blood pressure for awhile.
    3. I monitor my blood pressure an average of seven times per day along with detailed notes.
      • I know how my blood pressure usually acts every hour of a typical day. If I all of a sudden get increased blood pressure when I don't expect it, and it is not an anomaly, then I try to track down the "trigger" that offended my NeuroHormonal System, causing the increase in blood pressure.
        • Most wouldn't do this. I am fighting life threatening, progressive heart and immune system diseases. I have no choice but to closely monitor my health.
        • Each time that I've uncovered another "trigger" that causes high blood pressure, or heart rhythm problems, I avoid the "trigger" and have been rewarded with an almost immediate improvement in my health.
          If I can uncover "triggers" that cause high blood pressure, then I'm sure that the medical industry is aware of them. Why they don't publish a list of obvious "triggers" of high blood pressure, escapes me. They could save millions of lives! Perhaps it's because healthy people are not as profitable as sick people???

Quote:
    The only problem I can see with this particular one might be its non-selectivity, thus possible bronchospasms when the beta2 receptors in the bronchi and smooth muscle elsewhere are affected. If you don't mind me asking, how have you managed your breathing?
    I take Flovent twice a day for my Asthma. I've been asthmatic for over four decades. I also avoid the "triggers" like dust, or cats, or smoke, that will set off an Asthma attack.

Quote:
    How has it been on Coreg? How was it prior to Coreg? Too many questions, I know. Some of us are still learning how to best adjust to a long-term multidrug therapy and can use all the tips we can get. Thanks for sharing!

flowergirl
    Too many questions from you? NEVER! Wash your mouth out (aka: typing fingers) with soap! You are constantly helping others, including me, with our questions. The nerve!

I was very fortunate to not be having any breathing problems with Coreg. The literature warns Asthmatics not to take Coreg. I started off with 3.125mg per day because I was concerned about the effects of Coreg on my Asthma. I stopped taking Coreg for about two weeks, and then, when I got back on it, I started with 6.25mg per day.

Such as it is, I often have problems with, what I call, labored breathing. But, my breathing has improved greatly over the past several years, so I won't complain (much ).

Take care!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-10-2008 at 01:25 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hello,

thank you so much for taking the time to type your post! It's much appreciated!!!

Quote:
    As far as research goes, there is also a lot that can be learned from the posts of other patients, here on Healthboards. What a great source of information! You won't get the kind of information at the doctor's office that you can get here!
    I could not agree with you more! I would have been completely lost without these boards. They have helped me cope with all the side effects, ride out the storms and keep my spirits up (most of the time). The advice I received here is invaluable.

Quote:
    [*]I monitor my blood pressure an average of seven times per day along with detailed notes.
    I now have to keep a journal of all of my blood pressure readings and other things for my doctor. I should have listened to Fam and done it a long time ago. I am deciding how best to go about it. I would imagine he'd like the averages of several readings a day, which is not how I've been monitoring my blood pressure to date. I take it twice a day - first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I should have asked for more detailed instructions but will follow your and Beerzoids example and take several a day. I'll have to figure out where to keep my blood pressure monitor. In my car, I guess. Will have to take trips to the parking lot on all of my breaks.

Quote:
    I know how my blood pressure usually acts every hour of a typical day. If I all of a sudden get increased blood pressure when I don't expect it, and it is not an anomaly, then I try to track down the "trigger" that offended my NeuroHormonal System, causing the increase in blood pressure.
    It's great if you can do that - I am somewhat lost when I get my blood pressure spikes and have given up trying to understand them. They seem to happen for no good reason. Come to think of it, of course there IS always a reason for the blood pressure spikes. I just don't know what it is.

Quote:
    [*]Most wouldn't do this. I am fighting life threatening, progressive heart and immune system diseases. I have no choice but to closely monitor my health.
    I have taken some steps in that direction as well. I am hopeful things will get much better. Some already have - in a way. I only hope new issues won't start cropping up.

Quote:
    I take Flovent twice a day for my Asthma. I've been asthmatic for over four decades. I also avoid the "triggers" like dust, or cats, or smoke, that will set off an Asthma attack.
    Do you think if I started taking the asthma meds again that I could then take a non-selective beta blocker (such as Coreg)? I was on a big dose of a non-selective alpha/beta blocker in the past and it probably contributed to my breathing problems. I think it might be worth considering. I haven't been on asthma meds because they weren't helping with my shortness of breath. Now, with my breathing improved, there seems to be little need for them. I still am not even sure I have asthma and don't want to take something I don't really need.

Quote:
    I was very fortunate to not be having any breathing problems with Coreg. The literature warns Asthmatics not to take Coreg. I started off with 3.125mg per day because I was concerned about the effects of Coreg on my Asthma. I stopped taking Coreg for about two weeks, and then, when I got back on it, I started with 6.25mg per day.
    I find that our doctors often prescribe meds that are contraindicated or known to interact with one another. That's when the risk/benefit ratio comes into play, I guess.

Quote:
    Such as it is, I often have problems with, what I call, labored breathing. But, my breathing has improved greatly over the past several years, so I won't complain (much ).
    Well said! My breathing has improved to such an extent that I can function almost normally - so I should consider myself lucky and not complain. I might not sound like it at times, but I am very grateful for that.

take care and thank you for your post!
    flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-06-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
    It's great if you can do that - I am somewhat lost when I get my blood pressure spikes and have given up trying to understand them. They seem to happen for no good reason.
    For an example of tracking one's BP, here are my readings for today, so far:

Blood Pressure for Apr 6th

• 5 am 121/67
    • 6 am 119/64
    • 7 am 107/64
    • 8 am 114/63
    • 11 am 126/78
    • 12 pm 138/73
    • 1 pm 135/76
    • 2 pm 119/66
    • 3 pm 124/71
    • 4 pm 121/68
    • 6 pm 120/74

Today, my blood pressure at 12 and 1pm were much higher than normal. I was trying something new in my diet this morning. I will try it again tomorrow, and if I get the same higher readings, I will drop it from my diet, otherwise I would consider today's higher numbers as an anomaly.

Notice that my blood pressure was high at 1pm, taken a few seconds prior to taking Coreg. At 2pm, the Coreg had already lowered my blood pressure back down to 119/66, and the blood pressure has stayed healthy through 6pm for an average, so far today, of 122/69

Quote:
    I should have asked for more detailed instructions but will follow your and Beerzoids example and take several a day.
    Me and Beerzoids???

Would you mind doing me a favor? Would you provide a link, for me, of one of Beerzoid's posts?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #20
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi,

thank you so much for your advice. My apologies for not replying to some of the posts in the past. I somehow forget to follow up - no excuse is good enough! You have been extremely helpful. I tried to find a good link to Beerzoids' posts - kept coming up with your posts ( also, they often overlap. Just type in his screen name into the small box in the upper right-hand corner and select either posts or threads. You guys often posted in the same threads.

I will try my best to be a better record keeper, now that I am being asked to be. Thank you for the tips you've provided - they will come in handy. I still wonder if I'll be able to take all of my breaks in my car , or if there's a better alternative. I'll have to give it some thought.

many thanks,
    flowergirl

Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #21
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    [*]I always say that I am feeling great, but that is relative to my heart disease. I expected to be bedridden, hospitalized, or dying, a long time ago. To others, my relatively good quality of life would be their worse nightmare.
    Sorry I missed this earlier. I just want to say I know exactly how that feels. Most people simply cannot imagine what it's like. I hope you don't have to try and hide how you feel, like some of us.

I always say I am great too. Some people who know me don't always believe me. It's hard to act normal when you are experiencing some of the symptoms people are likely to notice, such as choking or coughing, or the tearducts producing an overabundance of tears -as a reaction to what? -an irritant?, or a blurred vision, or you feel like you are about to throw up. Whenever there are comments, I usually say: sorry-just some acid reflux- and quickly change the subject. It works most of the time.

FG

Old 04-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #22
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    ... I need to make a decision, stay at 6.25mgs, or try to increase the dosage another 3.125mg. My initial "end" target, based on clinical results, was 12.5mgs per day. Buts...... after fighting these nasty debilitating diseases for over two decades, perhaps I should quit while I am ahead?
    Well...... I've been on 6.25 mg Coreg, more or less, for 34 days.

I first took 3.125mg for five days and had a bp average of 127/72, 57 readings

I then took 6.25mg for two days and had a bp average of 129/75, 26 readings

I then stopped Coreg for nine days and had a bp average of 125/71, 90 readings
    • I stopped Coreg because it was increasing my blood pressure, but, without the Coreg, I experienced increased NeuroHormonal symptoms, so I decided to battle with Coreg one more time.

I've now taken 6.25mg Coreg for 34 days, 1st ten days 129/74, 112 readings
    • So, for the first ten days, at 6.25mg, the Coreg actually increased my blood pressure, exactly what it did the first time I tried it.

For the past 24 days of 6.25mg Coreg, blood pressure 119/73, 203 readings.
    • Not bad, considering that my blood pressure from 1998 through 2004 averaged 147/93, based on almost 15,000 blood pressure readings. No wonder why my health had significantly deteriorated over those years. Chronically High Blood Pressure is a slow killer.

For the first 10 days, I experienced higher blood pressure. Since then, though, my blood pressure has been lower than ever. This allows me to test a lower dosage of my Ace Inhibitor so I can increase my salad portions.

The Coreg has significantly lessened my NeuroHormonal symptoms, especially at night, which is exactly the reason why I tried Coreg in the first place, and is why I am so insistent to be on Coreg.

During the 34 days, I attempted to increase the Coreg from 6.25mg to 9.375mg. After two days, I had to cut the dosage back to 6.25mg due to increased sinus problems, headache, dizziness, breathing problems and chest pains.

I have increased my sinus medication and am intending to attempt another increase of Coreg to 9.375mg.

Just some feedback for all you Beta Blocker fans.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-26-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #23
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

FG,

You might want to check your instructions for your monitor about keeping your equipment in the car during increased temps now & decreased temps in the winter. Why not keep the monitor in your desk? I'm surprised that your Dr. is just now requiring b/p records. Mine have always wanted them in the beginning at least. I used to do them every hour & under a variety of circumstances. For example while eating spagetti versus salad Isn't that wild. It is amazing what one learns. It seems my b/p is lower while calling a manufacturer about a defective product & asking for a refund. One would expect the opposite. My experiementation had to end because my arms got so sore & numb that I showed up @ the Dr's appointment & he couldn't even take my b/p for fear it would damage my arms. To top it off he was the first b/p expert I saw. No wonder he was ready to ship me off to the next unexpecting DR. Fam

Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Remarkable!!!

How many readings do you average per day? Do you take more measurements on some days, and fewer on other days? (I think inconsistency would have a bearing on the outcome) Do the times you take the blood pressure readings or the circumstances vary from day to day?

I read somewhere that blood pressure readings-one taken first thing in the morning and the other the last thing at night- are the truest reflections of one's brachial blood pressure. Of course, one can take blood pressure readings at various times of day - I wonder if taking numerous readings results in greater accuracy. One would think so.

12.5mg of Coreg daily seems like a lot. With your blood pressure readings perfect at current levels, you shouldn't be needing MORE medication, for blood pressure at least.
    I wonder what you mean when you say that because your blood pressure has been lower than ever, you can test a lower dosage of ACE inhibitor (I am following that, no problem)...so you can increase your SALAD portions???? That's the part I don't get.

I am glad you're happy with your beta blocker and that it reduces your blood pressure adequately PLUS helps with the other issues. I'd like to think my small 5mg dose of Bisoprolol is doing the same for me. That initial increase in blood pressure on Coreg on two different occassions is interesting. Do you think your sinus problems are a side effect of medication? I think mine are. I was offered some medication for that and refused. So I am stuck with sinus and LPR issues. Has your sinus medication helped and is it something I should consider?

flowergirl

Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #25
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Fam,

Quote:
    Why not keep the monitor in your desk? I'm surprised that your Dr. is just now requiring b/p records.
    That's because I don't want anyone to see me with the monitor. Most people are not aware of my medical issues. I am much better than before and don't look sick. My blood pressure is fine. I get reflux and LPR issues, which people notice. The shortness of breath is not apparent. Losing my voice often is.

You are so funny! So, which foods caused the biggest temporary changes in blood pressure levels?
    Do you sometimes get shortness of breath from Labetalol? I would think your huge dose must affect your breathing.

I have a new doctor. I have to wait several weeks before I can see her. She is super nice, very thorough and highly thought of by my internist. I hope I won't need to see her very often.

P.S. The main reason for keeping a journal are the inconsistencies in my blood pressure readings - very good at home and always increased at the doctor's office to always the SAME level, even though I do not have white coat hypertension. I suspect the doctor does not quite believe me. My blood pressure must remain well controlled.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 04-26-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: P.S.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    How many readings do you average per day? Do you take more measurements on some days, and fewer on other days? (I think inconsistency would have a bearing on the outcome) Do the times you take the blood pressure readings or the circumstances vary from day to day?
    Hi Flowergirl! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Over the past 10 years, I've taken my blood pressure about 24,500 times, for an average of about seven times per day. But, when I am testing a change to my environment, lifestyle, diet or medication, I'll take my blood pressure much more often.

The bulk of my readings happen between 6am and 10pm.

Quote:
    I read somewhere that blood pressure readings-one taken first thing in the morning and the other the last thing at night- are the truest reflections of one's brachial blood pressure.
    Blood Pressure normally is high upon waking, then lowers during the morning hours, gradually increasing during the afternoon and is highest during the evening. At night, blood pressure then normally dips.

But, Blood Pressure, to me, is as important as a health gauge, as it is a measurement of pressure within the circulatory system. I've got about nine pounds of notes, over 24,500 blood pressure readings, with various, frequent charts and reports. The large amount of data enables me to discover environmental and lifestyle triggers that, not only effect blood pressure, but also cause other health issues.

To me, the blood pressure reading is somewhat similar to the temperature reading on my car. If I get a high temp reading for my car, I understand that my car has a high radiator temperature, but I don't know the actual cause of the high reading. It's the same with blood pressure. If the blood pressure is unhealthy at any time, day or night, despite medication, I want to know the cause, so I can fix it, if I can, which I've done many times over the past 10 years.

Quote:
    Of course, one can take blood pressure readings at various times of day - I wonder if taking numerous readings results in greater accuracy. One would think so.
    Like I just said, blood pressure readings have much more value to me then just the raw number.

Quote:
    12.5mg of Coreg daily seems like a lot. With your blood pressure readings perfect at current levels, you shouldn't be needing MORE medication, for blood pressure at least.
    I'm on 6.25mg per day. I hope to get to 12.5mg, if I can. I've cut my Ace Inhibitor in half, and will start cutting my Calcium Channel Blocker in half tomorrow, in the hope of getting rid of the CCB so I can increase the Coreg.

Quote:
    I wonder what you mean when you say that because your blood pressure has been lower than ever, you can test a lower dosage of ACE inhibitor (I am following that, no problem)...so you can increase your SALAD portions???? That's the part I don't get.
    Ace Inhibitors cause Potassium retention. I have had to limit my salad and tomato portions. Since I've lowered my Ace Inhibitor, I've been able to significantly increase my salad serving without any problems.

Quote:
    That initial increase in blood pressure on Coreg on two different occassions is interesting. Do you think your sinus problems are a side effect of medication? I think mine are.
    Without any doubt! Coreg at 9.375mg increased my sinus problems. For the two days that I was at 9.375mg Coreg, I had uncomfortable sinuses, while usually I don't have any problems. When I went back to 6.25, I had no sinus problems. Plus.... clinical trials showed a notable increase in sinusitis between 6.25mg and 12.5mg.

Quote:
    I was offered some medication for that and refused. So I am stuck with sinus and LPR issues. Has your sinus medication helped and is it something I should consider?

flowergirl
    I take the generic Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray, 50mcg, once for the left side, and three times for the right side. It works wonders for me and allows me to eat a few foods for which I am allergic, which I would not be able to eat if I did not use the spray. I had increased the dosage for the right side from twice to three times, in preparation for trying Coreg 9.375mg again.

Whether you should consider a medication like Fluticasone depends upon your level of sinus discomfort. Without Fluticasone I would be living daily with sinus misery, and I would have to severely limit my foods.

Thanks for your reply!

Have a nice evening! Take care.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #27
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Machaon,

thank you for the additional information. I am thinking of keeping better records with regards to diet and blood pressure. That is why I really appreciate your willingness to share your blood pressure monitoring methods and the tips provided. One must never underestimate the impact the diet has on overall health and blood pressure.

Quote:
    If the blood pressure is unhealthy at any time, day or night, despite medication, I want to know the cause, so I can fix it, if I can, which I've done many times over the past 10 years.
    A change in diet, an addition of a new medication, increased exertion, or having to deal with a stressful situation will cause a deviation in blood pressure readings. Some of the variations in blood pressure cannot be easily explained. I think we all get those! Whenever my blood pressure spikes for seemingly no good reason, I wonder WHY. Of course, there is always a reason. Sometimes significant dips in blood pressure occur. I read that some of my medication (the CCBs?) can do that. I get those substantial blood pressure drops sometimes - taking the same meds, same dosages, at the same time...then, out of the blue, the blood pressure drops very low.

Quote:
    Coreg at 9.375mg increased my sinus problems

I strongly suspect my medications of CAUSING my sinus issues. I am just not sure which ones. Does not matter, since I have to keep taking them. I strongly oppose having to take an additional medication in order to treat a side effect of an existing one. I've done that with Nexium only to cause myself more problems in terms of side effects. That's not to say I won't change my mind if things get really, really bad.

Quote:
    Without Fluticasone I would be living daily with sinus misery
    That pretty much describes it. I am trying to tolerate this and other side effects as best I can. It's good to know there's an effective treatment available.

flowergirl

Old 04-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #28
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

I skipped my Ace Inhibitor on Thursday, took it on Friday, and then skipped it on Saturday and Sunday. I was preparing a schedule of 3x week for my AceI, on Mon, Weds and Fri.

I've also reduced by Verapamil (CCB) from 80mg per day, to 40mg per day starting this morning.

I am testing these medicine reductions in the hopes of being able to increase my Coreg without experiencing too low of a blood pressure.

This morning two things happened. First, my readings:
    • at 6am 107/64
    • at 7am 114/68
    • at 9am 113/77

A surprise! I expected a rebound higher blood pressure, after two days off the Ace Inhibitor, and after reducing my Verapamil from 80mg to 40mg. I didn't get a rebound yet, so I am skipping my Ace Inibitor for a third day. I fully expect a rebound higher blood pressure. Will I get one? Could the Coreg 6.25mg, once per day, be doing that good of a job?

Secondly: I've been experiencing "blues" over the past week or so, because of the Coreg. My wife refers to "blues" as a "Grey Cloud" hanging over her. I was trying to mitigate the "blues" by taking vitamins B-Complex and C in the early morning, but with limited success.

Today, the "blues" have lifted. I really feel good. The tight stomach is gone. The "grey cloud" has drifted away. That was more than enough reason to stop taking the AceI for another day. Or...... could the "blues" culprit have been the Verapamil 80mg?

I also seem to have more umph for doing my leg exercises and my weight lifting. Not too long ago, slight physical activity would cause breathing problems, bad sweating, chest pains and fatigue. I never expected to ever be able to do anything physically demanding, especially after 20 years of Heart Failure and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation.

I fully expect to experience a rebound higher blood pressure, perhaps by this evening, or by tomorrow?? If it happens, do I increase my Coreg? Wait to see the extent of the rebound? Go back on my Ace Inhibitor? Hmmmm!? I don't know yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out over a cup of vanilla green tea.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-28-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    A surprise! I expected a rebound higher blood pressure, after two days off the Ace Inhibitor, and after reducing my Verapamil from 80mg to 40mg. I didn't get a rebound yet, so I am skipping my Ace Inibitor for a third day. I fully expect a rebound higher blood pressure. Will I get one? Could the Coreg 6.25mg, once per day, be doing that good of a job?
    Wow!

This is amazing! It defies logic. One would EXPECT a rebound hypertension. WHY hasn't that happened?

Trying to determine which of the two drugs had more effect on your blood pressure control might prove extremely difficult, given the circumstances. Too bad we do not have the means to measure our plasma levels of individual drugs sporadically - some remain considerable for quite some time after the drugs have been stopped. Also, as you know, some drugs, including antihypertensives, enhance each others' effectiveness when taken together. This increased effectiveness stops with the discontinuation of any of the co-administered drugs with these properties. All the more reasons for an increase in blood pressure.

Quote:
    Today, the "blues" have lifted. I really feel good. The tight stomach is gone. The "grey cloud" has drifted away. That was more than enough reason to stop taking the AceI for another day. Or...... could the "blues" culprit have been the Verapamil 80mg?
    Could you be starting to get used to Coreg? Good for you! I have the same dilemma - determining which medication causes what symptoms/side effects is often impossible. Beta blockers are used to treat anxiety - perhaps they've worked their magic on the "gray cloud"!

Quote:
    I also seem to have more umph for doing my leg exercises and my weight lifting. Not too long ago, slight physical activity would cause breathing problems, bad sweating, chest pains and fatigue. I never expected to ever be able to do anything physically demanding, especially after 20 years of Heart Failure and Persistent Atrial Fibrillation.
    I think you'll be just fine, as long as your beta blocker dose does not increase. I have to be very careful about mine. That's because I want to stay at my current level (breathing and fatigue) - which is OK and acceptable - and avoid reverting to the way things were last year at all costs.

Quote:
    I fully expect to experience a rebound higher blood pressure, perhaps by this evening, or by tomorrow?? If it happens, do I increase my Coreg? Wait to see the extent of the rebound? Go back on my Ace Inhibitor? Hmmmm!? I don't know yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out over a cup of vanilla green tea
    I hope that tea tastes good! Please keep us posted. Who knows, perhaps there will NOT be any rebound blood pressure elevations!

flowergirl

Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #30
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
    I skipped my Ace Inhibitor on Thursday, took it on Friday, and then skipped it on Saturday and Sunday. I was preparing a schedule of 3x week for my AceI, on Mon, Weds and Fri.
    OK. I decided to completely stop my AceI, for now. Although everything that I read says that Ace Inhibitors prolong the lives, and reduce hospitalizations, of people with heart failure, I feel that my Insulin Resistant diet reduces my needs for medication.

I've now been off of my AceI since Saturday, Apr 26th.

Quote:
    I've also reduced by Verapamil (CCB) from 80mg per day, to 40mg per day starting this morning.
    I've been on 40mg Verapamil since Monday, Apr 28th. Depending upon symptoms, I intend to be totally off of this CCB within a week.

Quote:
    I am testing these medicine reductions in the hopes of being able to increase my Coreg without experiencing too low of a blood pressure.
    Coreg is truly one of the most important, breakthrough medical discoveries of our times. I am thrilled to be on Coreg, and will do everything that I can to, not only stay on Coreg, but increase the Coreg as much as I can over the next few months. Coreg clinical trials show significantly beneficial outcomes.

In order to head off a high blood pressure rebound, I decided to increase my Coreg from 6.25mg to 9.375mg, taken once a day. I've now been on 9.375mg Coreg since Monday, without a rebound in high blood pressure, and without the very low blood pressure readings that I was getting before I eliminated my AceI and reduced my Verapamil. AND! The blues haven't returned with the higher Coreg dose. That means to me that the "blues" type of feeling was the result of an interaction between the Coreg and my other medications, and not caused directly by the Coreg! I am doing very well on the Coreg 9.375 and am well on my way to increase my Coreg, two weeks from now, to 12.5mg Coreg, taken once per day.

My average blood pressure reading for the past two days is around 120/77, which shows an increase in diastolic, although still within a healthy range. Plus, it's too early to establish any trend. I'm just pleased with the lack of side effects, and still having healthy blood pressure averages, but I won't know if I can stay on my current levels of medication until an extended period of time. In other words, the wheels could come off at any time, any day.

I am also noticing some very nice payoffs from being on an Insulin Resistant diet for three years, and having very healthy blood pressures hour after hour, day after day, week after week, month after month. For all of 2007, my blood pressure averaged 126/74 (based on 2720 readings). So far in 2008, my blood pressure has averaged 123/72 (based on 1160 readings). Not bad, considering that my blood pressure, for seven long, frustrating years, from 1998 through 2004, averaged 147/93 (based on almost 15,000 blood pressure readings).

I've been very frustrated, though, because, besides surviving heart failure, and having a fairly nice quality of life, I was hoping to experience more significant improvements in my over-reactive and over-active immune system. Well..... I have been experiencing improvements in my immune system, over the past few months, especially within the past few weeks. Things that used to cause immune system reactions are still causing me problems, but it is taking a greater contact, or greater amounts, of the "triggers" to set off a negative reaction! I can't believe it! I've been suffering from these stupid, nasty immune system problems for decades. I am finally getting better!

I don't think that most people realize how much of their health problems are made significantly worse from bad diets. Being on the most effective medications (taken on the most effective schedule) AND avoiding the triggers that negatively effect blood pressure, heart failure and immune system disease, are very important, but disease can be greatly improved just through healthy diets, IMHO.

Addendum 5/2/2008: Based on results so far, starting this morning I have totally stopped taking my Verapamil (CCB), am into my seventh day without my Ace Inhibitor, and am into my fifth day of Coreg 9.375mg. I am still on Digoxin and Warfarin. It's great having access to a powerfully effective medication like Coreg. What's even better is that it is available cheap as a generic!

It can take weeks for a medication, like Verapamil, to wear off, so I am hoping that the effects of Coreg, combined with Digoxin, will continue to compensate for the loss of Verapamil over the next few weeks.

I was supposed to get on the heart transplant list. I think that I will pass on that! It's is amazing what can happen to one's health if the patient becomes totally proactive and aggressive regarding the treatment and evaluation of their own heath problems.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-02-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Closed Thread