It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Potassium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 AM   #16
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User
    Re: Potassium

Hi Fam,

I do suffer from severe reflux - and take medication for it - and also eat a modified diet for it - I have given up chocolate, peppermint, onions, tomato's, soda, etc. - it has helped a bit.

The Toprol I was on also caused heartburn. I really do not want to be on another medication that causes heartburn because I am still working HARD to get my GERD back under control after a course of Prednisone.

He said that we could try a diuretic? Just not sure - I wish I could get it down without medication as I HATE the side effects. I am trying hard - the next step is to add consistent exercise and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice and information.

Have a great day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #17
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Vanessa,

Why not try a diuretic? It is the easiest b/p med that I have tried so far. As you probably know I had a problem with the yellow dye in it, but once I got the dye free version it has been easy street. Of course one must eat potassium rich foods & drink at least 8-10 glasses of some kind of fluid daily to prevent Gout but I already do that. Beth had side effects but I haven't gotten the increase in blood sugar or cholesterol. I wish I could just take that drug.

The pluses of HCTZ for me is that I have to eat salt & it doesn't seem to bother my stomach. Also, I know that I can stop Hctz suddenly without a withdrawal although my b/p would just go back to what it was before the drug. But it wouldn't escalate. Fam

Last edited by famnd; 04-03-2008 at 08:23 AM.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #18
    Vanessa74
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Vanessa74 HB User

AWESOME - that is what I will try next instead of the Norvasc

Thanks for all the input - it has made my decision MUCH easier!

I drink LOTS of water 12-16 glasses (because I am prone to UTI's so I have to drink LOTS of water). I also really like water. I eat lots of potassium rich food - just because I tend to like those foods

So the diuretic it is!!

Thanks again!

Vanessa

Closed Thread