It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Breaking news, BP drug combo treatment

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
    tamu45
    Veteran
    (male)

tamu45 HB User
    Breaking news, BP drug combo treatment

Nightly news just reported result of major (11,000 people) study which showed a combination of a calcium channel blocker and ACE inhibitor is far and away THE most effective medicine-based treatment...so much so it is now causing debate about the best first-line medical treatment, e.g, reexamining using diuretics first.

The combo lowered BP more, and kept it down consistently better than any other drug or combo.

Story continues to develop...

tamuprof45

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User
    Re: Breaking news, BP drug combo treatment

I think the best effective drug combo is CCB + BB, it was getting my blood pressure to a range I have never seen like 100/56. But flowergirl told me that it's not save, and I believe her because it lowered my bp alot. I think that the medical community needs to research that combo, especially for people with high heart rate.
    Good luck all,
    Michael

Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi,

The name of the study is ACCOMPLISH for those wanting to look it up. It took me a few minutes to find.

After reading your post, I immediately wondered who had sponsored this study. It somehow makes a difference to me when the study outcome is favorable for the sponsor. As it happens, the sponsor is Novartis, a manufacturer of one of the combination drugs used. I think it shouldn't come as a big surprise that a combination of two blood pressure lowering drugs, each with a different site of action, gives better results than just one, no matter how effective it may be. In spite of the hypertension treatment guidelines which recommend a monotherapy -starting with just one drug, usually a diuretic, many doctors favor prescribing two antihypertensive drugs in lower doses (one of them often a diuretic). This fairly new trend is seen in medical publications and in practice. Combining two or more drugs results in additive effects on the body, thus better results. Lower doses have fewer side effects (at least in theory), another good reason for this type of therapy.

I think the results of this study are hopeful. Of course, they will have to be re-analyzed many times, as is usually the case; the end points scrutinized, etc. Fixed-dose combinations are OK for some people. One has to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of a fixed dose medication. In the end, the compliance is what helps achieve good blood pressure control (once an effective and tolerable drug combination is found). Non-compliance also happens to be a huge problem and a number one reason for uncontrolled hypertension, regardless of the number of pills prescribed - one, two or more. If people don't like the side effects, they simply stop taking the medication that causes them. Some people cannot afford the meds and do not comply for that reason.

flowergirl

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 03-31-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:34 AM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

On the Today Show they were talking about starting patients out on the combo right away. Maybe the powers that be should check out this web site & see the real world of side effects. Why not start with the less offensive (in regard to potential side effects) then add the 2nd drug when the problems have been ironed out. Glad I didn't go that route cause I would never have known about Cozaar's damage to my body. I might have gone along with my Dr's diagnosis of Lupus. Fam

Old 04-01-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Fam,

How Cozaar can damage the body?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

A very good point, Fam.

They should see the real world of side effects.
    Just ask anyone on a 10mg of the CCB. They cannot make the side-effects dissapear. Though side effects of calcium channel blockers are dose-dependent, many people experience them on a "mere" 5mg dose.

FG

Old 04-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I have been taking a Calcium Channel Blocker and an Ace Inhibitor for about 20 years, and am having no unworkable side effects from the medications whatsoever.

During the past ten years, I dropped several blood pressure medications that were ineffective. I learned which blood pressure medications worked, for me, by taking my blood pressure an average of seven times per day, and experimenting constantly with my meds. It was not easy. It took a long time.

I've now got over 23,000 blood pressure readings, and currently, I'm taking my blood pressure at least ten times per day, because I am tracking the results of adding Coreg to my CCB and ACE and Digoxin.

My surprise is that Coreg has consistently raised my blood pressure, especially the Systolic. Even so, I intend to continue with the Coreg and will increase the dosage next Monday, and see what happens.

So...... I found it very interesting that the combo of a CCB and an ACE was found to be quite effective for others.

Thanks, tamuprof45, for posting the article!

⇒ 900 weight lifts, 750 weighted knee bends, bike daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Machaon; 04-02-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Closed Thread