It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Any Experience with Prinzide (Lisinopril) HCTZ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
    mrt123
    (female)

mrt123 HB User
    Any Experience with Prinzide (Lisinopril) HCTZ?

Hello -
    Has anyone ever taken the ACE Prinzide HCTZ (I think Lisinopril is the generic)? Any side effects?

I have been on 1/2 of the lowest dose of Atacand Hct (an ARB) for about 6 weeks. My doctor gave me some samples and it is working very well with no real side effects (I am extremely sensitive to medication and have tried several beta blockers in the last year).......
    HOWEVER, the prescription drug company that covers us is refusing to pay for the ARB until I do step therapy with an ACE. It is appalling to me that a pharma company can dictate treatment protocol........ I would assume it is because no generic ARB's will be available until 2009!

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
    sunshine123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
    Re: Any Experience with Prinzide (Lisinopril) HCTZ?

I took that and had to stop after a few weeks b/c it gave me red, itchy rashes on my hands and feet. Then the Dr. prescribed the Lisinopril without the HCTZ and I had to stop that one too. It made me feel like my skin was on fire 24/7, made me really depressed, constant tingling, a cough that made me choke, etc. I'm seeing the Dr. today and can't wait to see what he prescribes instead!! I'm also extremely sensitive to meds., but maybe the Lisinopri HCTZ won't give you all the side effects I had. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
    mrt123
    (female)

mrt123 HB User

Update:
    Thank you for your input sunshine123. I lasted 3 days on 1/2 of the 20mg dose and was so nauseous/lightheaded/dizzy (in addition to a throat tickle that made me nearly gag), I called my nurse practioner. She failed my trial of the ACE and I have gone back on the low dose of the ARB...... my insurance company is paying nearly half, but the co pay is not cheap....... Yuck!
    God Bless

Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Why not try HCTZ by itself? I had lots of med reactions so I know what you mean. It's a drug that can be stopped without drug withdrawal, its cheap but you need to eat healthy to prevent potassium problems. Trying one drug at a time is the way to go unless there is some compelling reason not too. That way it's easier to figure out which drug is causing the problem & if the drug is effective. Most people only need to take the 12.5mg of HCTZ. Fam

Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
    MIKETER
    (female)

MIKETER HB User
    Smile Re: Any Experience with Prinzide (Lisinopril) HCTZ?

I am currently taking Lisinopril and HCTZ. I am only on 10mg of Lisinopril and 12.5 of HCTZ. I tried the combination pill but it was too much HCTZ for me. Now I take the HCTZ with Lisinopril on Monday, Wed, and Friday. and only the Lisinopril on the other days. In the beginning I had severe headaches, Heart palpatations but now my body has adjusted to it. I am not experiencing any side effects and my BP is under good control. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User

I'm with Fam on this one. I think I'd be inclined to take each med separately, introducing one at a time until any side effects are known. It would be far easier to modify doses as needed.

I take lisinopril 20 mg/day (used to be 40 mg) and HCTZ 25mg/day separately.

Good luck!

Closed Thread