It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• high bp

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
    nickster0885
    (male)

nickster0885 HB User
    high bp

As you can see I have been around this board for a while but don't post much. I am 27 I have struggled with ptsd and anxiety for 4 years. I am a bio major and my teacher told me if you had bp of 120/80 or greater you should be on meds. Of course this led to a panick attack, when I am amped my bp has gotten to 140/high 80's most the time 120/75 I have had plenty of 110/60's as well. I play ice hockey 3x a week and wiegh 260 at 6ft but am fairly bilt. I notice my hands really turn blotchy red often when below my waist and if I have any alcohol I get palpitaitons so no alcohol or tobacco at all. The other thing is my resting heart rate is around 50-55 but I feel fine when its there. My bp used to shoot higher and so did my pulse but I think I am so used to the panic my body has addapted or something. I have had ekg,stress tests the whole 9 any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Re: high bp

You sound perfectly healthy!

Old 06-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
    aether4
    Veteran
    (female)

aether4 HB User

Your teacher is just that, a teacher and not a doctor. BP meds are not something you want to jump into taking, especially if your labs are fine and your doctor is not concerned.

It sounds like you have a normal range, honestly. The higher readings, as you've realized, are stress related - either panic attack or cuff anxiety at that time. During those times that your BP is higher your heart is likely beating a bit faster, this can make you feel palpitations - alcohol for example can lower blood pressure so your heart could be trying to correct it when that happens.

The red blotchy hands are due to poor circulation/blood pooling, it can easily happen when your hands are hanging down as your blood is having to be pumped against gravity. I get that all the time and in my legs, too, due to blood pooling and definitely do not have anywhere near high blood pressure (I'm lucky if I can get "normal"). lol

Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #4
    nickster0885
    (male)

nickster0885 HB User

thank you much, I am starting wieght watchers mon so that should help, thanks to you both

Old 06-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
    GodChaser777
    (male)

GodChaser777 HB User

Your teacher told you that anything above 120/80 you need to be on meds?! Thats the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

I tried to post more last night but my connection froze

I was going to make a cynical comment asking if your teacher worked for a drug company? Or maybe they provide him/her with many grants for research?

Anxiety is tough stuff - just keep working on it with posistive self talk. Notice that little voice in the back of your head that just jabbers away with worry and try to train it to think good things - or at least less negative things. Life is good. It really is, but sometimes it's hard to convince ourselves of that Good luck!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
    nickster0885
    (male)

nickster0885 HB User

yeah you guys are great, but arguing with my teacher is useless and not productive, I snooped arount and found her degree is in nutrition why she is teaching anatomy 2 I have no idea, she also said if she was 120/80 she would be at the hospital the whole class rolled there eyes on that one, thats when I said I disagreed and well she did not take it well, i apologized not that I meant it but I figured it wouldn't hurt, thanks again everyone

Old 06-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

Nick,

You might want to give your teacher a break because she is probably going by those b/p guidelines that came out a few yrs ago which said to to get very low b/p readings. She probably has to teach the Ideal not the realistic. I wouldn't be too excited by having a teacher with a degree in Nutrition teaching Anatomy though. Perhaps she has a minor in Anatomy. She probably isn't too confident so it is best not to confront her if you want a half way decent grade. Fam

Old 06-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
    nickster0885
    (male)

nickster0885 HB User

I hear you I explained I was sensitive to the subject she understood, the grading is computerized anyway so my grade wont be influenced, but my intentions were not to disrespect her.

Closed Thread