It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Meds, Meds and more Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User
    Re: Meds, Meds and more Meds

FG,

Dr. Dean & others say that 15 min in the sun 2-3 times a week for Vit D production has to be without sunscreen. I've also read that Noon time is the best time but trying to work that into my schedule is hard. I'm usually out in the AM. I can't wear sun screens (rashes) so I try to avoid being out between 10-4pm.

Before taking any Vit D one should have a blood Vit D level drawn. My Endo was just talking to me about that last week. Parathyroids, calcium levels & Vit D can get messed up with taking Vit D when it isn't needed. Fam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #17
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Thanks for that information, Fam.

It makes perfect sense not to wear the sunscreen in this case. They say that the sun rays have to be quite intense in order for it to work.
    So- no sunscreen. I don't know how we can do it without getting sunburned though.

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-11-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #18
    jr2212
    (male)

jr2212 HB User

My sympathy to everyone stuggling with HBP meds. One warning to those on Atenolol, although everyone is different, some people (such as myself) can have extreme withdrawl effects coming off Atenolol. Be careful if you plan on stopping it, talk to your Dr., but be advised that the medical community does not all suscribe to the fact that Atenolol withdrawl can have severe side effects so some physicians may not treat your withdrawl properly.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #19
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
    ...I don't even know if it's possible, but I got to thinking that I might have been over-medicated and my body was trying to compensate in some way. I'm probably way off target, though....
    Edelweiss,

You hit the bullseye!!! It's very likely that you were overmedicated. Too many people, doctors included, don't consider this possibility. They used to (still do???) test meds on healthy young white men....but meds are used on older women with one or more health conditions. These groups process meds very, very differently as the women often need much smaller doses.

I found that my pressures dropped considerably after dropping my meds (without the blessing of my doctor). The only explanation I have is that I was pain free (stress free) when I was med free and I could sleep, eat, and move normally again....all of the things one needs to do to keep one's bp within normal limits. Meds made my condition worse and if you read the warnings, many med companies will come out and tell you that this is a possibility. Unfortunately, too many people don't realize that.

Bethsheba

Last edited by bethsheba; 06-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #20
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Teacupforme View Post
    ....Beta blockers interfere with sleep and cause fatigue & insomnia. Fatigue and insomina increase the blood pressure.
    My experience exactly! But fatigue and insomnia (somnolescence) are listed as side effects of many of these meds...not just the beta blockers.

Bethsheba

Old 06-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #21
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User

Bethsheba,

During the time that my meds were upped due to difficult-to-control high bp, I was going through some pretty dang rough times emotionally which could have caused my bp to be quite elevated.

Over the last month or so, I've been gradually decreasing my meds, one week at a time, and closely monitoring my BP. At times, it's still lower than I think it should be, but I'm asymptomatic so I guess it's okay. However, next week, I think I'm going to try cutting my 25 mg HCTZ to 12.5 as I know that's a med with many potential side effects. At one point that's the dose my Dr. wanted me on, but it wasn't doing the trick.

BTW, I did return to my Dr. last week and told him what I'd been doing with lowering the dosages. He was fine with it and just said to keep an eye on it.
    Fortunately, he's pretty a level-headed guy.

Thanks for affirming the over-medicated idea for me!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #22
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

I took my meds at 10:00a.m. at work after two days of taking only my Bisoprolol. My blood pressure had reached mid 140's even before I left for work this morning, so I felt I had to. It is perfect now.
    My medications made me feel sick and dead tired all day. I could barely function or move. Even my acid reflux was bad today. I wish I didn't have to take those meds at all. I feel so much better without them!!! Even my muscle aches and hip pain seem to have gone. I guess they'll be back in no time.

Perhaps I should try decreasing the dosages. I already have, to a point, without any notable effect on my blood pressure. Like so many others, I also feel overmedicated, and fully agree with Bethsheba's assessment of the dosing problems.

flowergirl

Old 06-13-2008, 03:23 AM   #23
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bethsheba View Post
    My experience exactly! But fatigue and insomnia (somnolescence) are listed as side effects of many of these meds...not just the beta blockers.

Bethsheba
    In fact Beta-Blockers help me to sleep, because it regulates my heart rate. At my dose, 2.5 Zebeta, I don't encounter the side effects I used to see with the former dose (5mg). Still I'm worry about side effects

Last edited by cartner; 06-13-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #24
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

Flowergirl - I see that you are a "Canuck" - so am I. Did you decrease your meds without your doctor knowing about it? I would love to do that, but I'm too scared. Monday, I'll talk about my meds with my doctor, and see what he says. It was my cardiologist that perscribed Norvasc, in addition to atenolol and Micardis Plus. As I previously mentioned, I don't like the fact that calcium channel blockers (norvasc) and atenolol don't seem to "go together". I think I'll call my pharmacy and ask them if it's "safe" to take norvasc and atenolol. They're pretty alert to the meds I take and should know which ones interact with the others.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:32 AM   #25
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

Fam - Vitamin D - We get 3-4 good months of sunshine where I live. Winter is long and cold, so no chance of vitamin D during that time. Of course, I'll check with my doctor before I take anything. 400 IU is the recommended dose.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Arlmon,

Quote:
    Flowergirl - I see that you are a "Canuck" - so am I. Did you decrease your meds without your doctor knowing about it? I would love to do that, but I'm too scared.
    With me it was the opposite - I had to stop taking mine because I was too scared to take them. For several weeks, my blood pressure was exceptionally low - too low for comfort. This was my main reason for reducing the dosage of a couple of the meds. As it turned out, even the reduced dosages resulted in too great a reduction in blood pressure. When I asked the doctor I saw recently (whose name I don't know) whether or not to take my meds, given my blood pressure readings, she did not answer my question. So now I take the meds as I see fit, according to my blood pressure readings. Receiving no help with this was kind of dissapointing. I am supposed to be seeing a doctor (my new physician) at the end of the month.

Quote:
    Monday, I'll talk about my meds with my doctor, and see what he says. It was my cardiologist that perscribed Norvasc, in addition to atenolol and Micardis Plus. As I previously mentioned, I don't like the fact that calcium channel blockers (norvasc) and atenolol don't seem to "go together". I think I'll call my pharmacy and ask them if it's "safe" to take norvasc and atenolol. They're pretty alert to the meds I take and should know which ones interact with the others
    You can ask - you'll probably hear that "some patients seem to tolerate this combination quite well". I know that a couple of my doctors don't think it's a great combination at all, without coming out and actually saying it (e'.g. expressed surprise upon learning I take both). Please make sure to post what your doctor says. I read that Diovan has a great future - not just in blood pressure lowering. Time will tell. How effective has Micardis Plus been for you? I would imagine it has the same desirable properties as its sister drug, Diovan.

flowergirl

Old 06-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #27
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

Micardis Plus has been okay, so far. I don't know what it's like not taking 3 meds for high BP. The only thing with Micardis Plus, is the diuretic in it - not so great if you want to go out. My cardiologist recommended taking it before supper, if I want. I'll be seeing my doctor (GP) tomorrow, so I'll post when he has to say. I'm glad that you're going to see a new doctor - if you can't get answers from a doctor, it's time to change. In my city, it's very difficult to get a GP. I'm lucky, because my good friend works for my doctor (and his brother), so if I have a problem, it's easy to get an appointment.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #28
    jayva
    (female)

jayva HB User

I am a new poster but find a lot of these posts very interesting. I feel like sometimes the dr. thinks I am crazy. I am taking Univasc and HCT right now. I was having problems with the HCT so the nurse told me to stop for two days. I did take a 1/2 one today because I feel like I do need some type of water pill. It does upset my stomach quite a bit. Does anyone know if it is possible just to take it every few days and still have the right effect? I hate asking the dr. because he is a new dr. and really doesn't want to listen to my complaints.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #29
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User

I do remember reading on these boards where one person's doctor didn't want her taking the HCTZ every day so she just took it every other day. I don't know how long HCTC stays in your system or its halflife so don't know whether or not doing that would result in fluctuating blood pressures.

At one point my family doctor preferred that I only take 12.5 mg/day so maybe you could just cut your pills in half and take the lower dosage each day. Apparently, there had been a study that showed that the 12.5mg dosage was just as effective as the 25 mg and had fewer side effects.

When I was once hospitalized I was put on a loop diuretic which resulted in terrible leg cramps. They said I could just take that 2 or 3 times/week. However, I opted not to take that kind of diuretic at all. It really depletes the body of potassium.

Last edited by Edelweiss; 06-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

So when is the best time to take the diuretic? I take two types of diuretics every morning. Strangely, I have to get up several times during the night anyway to use the bathroom.

I wonder if taking a diuretic in the evenings would result in an increased number of trips to the bathroom at night? Or would it backfire and necessitate numerous bathroom breaks during the work hours? I find I have NO problems whatsoever at work in that regard, while taking the diuretics in the morning. Maybe they both have long half lives?

flowergirl

Closed Thread