It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board

• Meds, Meds and more Meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User
    Meds, Meds and more Meds

I have been taking atenolol (50 mg), Micardis Plus (80 mg) and Norvasc (5 mg), for a few years. I find that I'm always tired, and I hate feeling that way. I'm going to see my doctor next week, and will ask him if perhaps he can cut the dose of some of these meds. I really don't like taking all these pills, but I know that I need to keep my BP in check. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
    Edelweiss
    (female)

Edelweiss HB User
    Re: Meds, Meds and more Meds

I'm with you on disliking the way the meds make you feel -- especially the atenolol. Until about a month ago, I was taking 200 mg atenolol, 40 lisinopril, and 25 HCTZ and could only make my bp readings fairly acceptable. I walked around feeling soooo tired all the time.

I'm now taking exactly half of the above doses, and my readings have been great. I don't understand it, but I'm happy and feeling a lot better. My Dr. said that we'll just monitor the bp and hopefully won't have to up the dose.

I don't even know if it's possible, but I got to thinking that I might have been over-medicated and my body was trying to compensate in some way. I'm probably way off target, though.

Good luck with finding meds that leave you feeling better.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Hi arlmon,

What has your blood pressure been like?
    It wouldn't hurt to try different combinations of meds. How come the hctz is missing from the list of your meds? If you (or your doctor, rather) experiment a little bit, you might find that you can get good blood pressure control with fewer meds.

Some people with seemingly "uncontrollable" hypertension who are referred to hypertension clinics for treatment are often able to achieve good blood pressure control just by manipulation of the diuretic in the their therapy. The existing diuretic -type and dosage- or lack thereof-is is usually the first thing that's reviewed and adjusted. Often that's all that's needed to achieve a good blood pressure control. Many of us are on suboptimal drug therapies. This is due in part to the effects the drugs we take have on each other's actions, which often results in their higher or lower plasma concentration levels then intended. As a consequence, the side-effects increase and the efficiency of the treatment decreases. Dose adjustments become necessary. I often think about these issues because they affect me so much. That is why it is ALWAYS a good idea to have another doctor review the meds.

As for the side effects of my meds - like so many others, I've learned to live with them. They affect my everyday life. I don't seem to be able to tolerate having excellent blood pressure very well. I was dizzy again yesterday with pronounced shortness of breath. I think I might need a dose reduction like you.

Good luck with your appointment next week. Please keep us posted.
    flowergirl

Old 06-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

Thanks for all the advice.. Flowergirl - my BP is pretty good. This morning it was low - 112/67 - pulse 68. The 67 number is kind of low, I think. My BP tends to fluctuate at different times of the day. I have a BP monitor, but don't take it that often now (as I did when I first got it)!! With the meds I take, my BP is under control - rarely getting high. The fact that they make me feel tired is another story. I think that many BP meds tend to do that. The Micardis Plus that I take has a diuretic in it (that's the "plus"). I'll speak to my doctor about lowering a pill or two, but I think most doctors like you to remain on what you're already taking, if your BP is under control. Unless, of course, someone absolutely couldn't tolerate their meds.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
    Teacupforme
    (female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

Hi Arlmon,

Unfortunately I am one of those people who do require a beta blocker. I too feel tired and worn out most days. It also interferes with my sleep and contributes to day time fatigue. The funny thing is that I think that the sideffect of fatigue, and forcing oneself to fight it may actually be causing BP to rise regardless.

Beta blockers interfere with sleep and cause fatigue & insomnia. Fatigue and insomina increase the blood pressure.

I am also on this terrible ferris wheel.

Last edited by Teacupforme; 06-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User

Do you guys sometimes feel so tired you think you might collapse? I don't know whether my fatigue is caused by the drugs, getting older, not getting enough sleep or whatever. I can sit down and be asleep before I know it. I can fall asleep while holding a coffee mug filled with liquid (sometimes even spilling the contents). Often, I lack the energy to get up from a sitting position. I don't remember ever experiencing periods of such complete, disabling exhaustion before starting the meds. Does this sound like a drug-induced fatigue? Is this normal as we age?

FG

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 06-08-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
    Teacupforme
    (female)

Teacupforme HB UserTeacupforme HB User

If I had to take a guess I would say YES.

I almost passed out on a number of occasions (beta blocker induced exhaustion).

Sucks doesn't it?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #8
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Hi all,

I'm on a Beta-Blocker too, 2.5mg of Zebeta, and it doesn't interfere with my sleeping at all in fact it helps me to sleep because it regulates my blood pressure. I'm also on Diltiazem 90mg SR or Norvasc 5mg, haven't decided yet . My only concern is that this combination effects my sexual ability, I'm not married but I'm a man so I'm scared .

Also this combination effects my blood pressure much, it cause hypotension and I feel that I can't stand. So I need to adjust my dose of CCB and see what would happen.
    Thanks for help,
    Michael

Last edited by cartner; 06-09-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Also this combination effects my blood pressure much, it cause hypotension and I feel that I can't stand. So I need to adjust my dose of CCB and see what would happen.
    Why not take just ONE of the two meds you mention? I know you're trying to keep the doses low due to the effects of these drugs on sexual function. You could ask your doctor which one of the two drugs is going to do more for you, regarding slowing your fast heart rate and lowering your blood pressure. Hypotension can be dangerous if the blood pressure and heart rate drop too much. The dizziness and other symptoms are no fun, either.

Instead of combining your beta blocker with a CCB, as you plan on doing, why not add a tiny dose of hctz? You might be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the combination of a beta blocker and a CCB isn't right for you. I think you need to discuss these issues with your doctor.

flowergirl

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
    famnd
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

famnd HB User

FG,

I don't think it has anything to do with age especially since you are in your forties or 50's I believe. I'm in my 60's & I feel great in the AM usually until I take my meds. So I recently as I told you did yet another adjustment to my med schedule.

Now I take my alpha/beta blocker about 10 or 11 am & go take a nap. When I get up after about 2 hrs, the fatigue portion has passed & I only have the muscle weakness in my legs. So I go swimming for about an 1' 1/2 & then feel half way decent. Luckily I'm retired & can do this.

I found it too frustrating to try & do anything after taking 900mg of Labetalol. So why not use it as a sleeping pill I thought.

I agree with Tea, I think it only raises one's b/p to have such ongoing frustration. Fam

Old 06-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fam,

I wish I didn't have to take anything! I see you also believe the fatigue is drug related.
    Unlike you, I feel lousy every morning from the moment I get up until about 10:00 a.m. After that, I am OK.
    I like your idea of letting your medication's side effects work for you, not against you. Do you find that the swimming helps alleviate your muscle aches? I hope it does not contribute to them or make them worse in any way.
    I stopped to talk to a much younger lady I know (I am in late 40's) after my appointment. Her symptoms as the same as ours - muscle, joint and HIP pain. She says her hip pain is unreal. She is on bp medications and has a poorely controlled high blood pressure with readings like 180/100 at work. In spite of our differences in blood pressure, she too gets dizzy and belives all her symptoms to be adverse effects of medication. It's always good to be able to compare notes. Knowing that there are others dealing with the same issues helps.

flowergirl

Old 06-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
    cartner
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

cartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB Usercartner HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flowergirl2day View Post
    Why not take just ONE of the two meds you mention? I know you're trying to keep the doses low due to the effects of these drugs on sexual function. You could ask your doctor which one of the two drugs is going to do more for you, regarding slowing your fast heart rate and lowering your blood pressure. Hypotension can be dangerous if the blood pressure and heart rate drop too much. The dizziness and other symptoms are no fun, either.

Instead of combining your beta blocker with a CCB, as you plan on doing, why not add a tiny dose of hctz? You might be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the combination of a beta blocker and a CCB isn't right for you. I think you need to discuss these issues with your doctor.

flowergirl
    flowergirl,

I have tried adding HCT but it causes a lot of side effects , also I have tried combining Norvasc + Zebeta but I got fast HR at night (after Norvasc dose by few hours). Anyway, for the last 2 days I took 2.5 mg of Zebeta at morning and Diltiazem SR 90mgat night.

My reading, few minutes ago, was 110/64 and HR 64 . I think this is great, don't you think that too?

About my sexual concern, I haven't had sex before (because I'm not married) but still I'm worry because Beta-Blockers do effect sexual ability. Anyway, I should not worry about this now as much as I should worry about my HBP. If I maintain my good health I could stop using the beta-blocker when I get marry, with my dr guidance.
    Thanks for help,
    Michael

Old 06-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Michael,

Quote:
    My reading, few minutes ago, was 110/64 and HR 64 . I think this is great, don't you think that too?
    I happen to think your blood pressure is great!!!
    I am also happy to hear this drug combination seems to work so well for you. Achieving and maintaining a good blood pressure control is always the main thing.

FG

Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
    arlmon18
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

arlmon18 HB User

I was just catching up and reading all the interesting replies. I know I shouldn't read too much on the internet, but one site mentioned that taking ccbs (norvasc) with atenolol may have an additive effect. I will ask the doctor on Monday when I go. I was also wondering if anyone takes atenolol at bedtime? I asked the pharmacist about this and she told me that I should take it in the morning. Also, I was reading in the newspaper about the importance of taking vitamin D - (400 iu). Another pill to add to the stash??!!

Old 06-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
    flowergirl2day
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Arlmon,

You are right to question the logic of using both the CCBs and beta blockers. It is not recommended for several reasons, the main one being that thay both affect the heart function. That does not stop our doctors from prescribing the duo as concomittant therapy. I have been taking both for about a year and a half. I believe some of my adverse effects are a result of combining these drugs. I just hope that the positives (whatever they may be) outweigh the negatives of using both. It would be interesting to hear your doctor's opinion about this.
    You can take the beta blocker at bedtime, if it does not interfere with your sleep. When I was taking a pretty big dose of it at bedtime, I could not sleep at all. I had to stop doing that eventually. I think any beta blocker is best taken in the morning.
    Getting enough vitamin D is essential to our health. You don't need to add another pill to your daily assortment - just stay out in the sun (with protection, of course) for a little while as often as you can. They say 15 minutes of sunshine should be enough for the body to manufacture enough vitamin D for the day.

flowergirl

Closed Thread